Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-11, 12:03 AM  
oogy99

Kickboxing and lower back DOMS?

Hello! I'm a long time lurker on the forum, but I've never posted here before. But I have a question about kickboxing that I thought some of you might be kind enough to answer.

I have recently started doing a lot of kickboxing DVDs — I really like Kimberly Spreen (Absolute Kickboxing, Cardio Combat Surge, Kickbox Boot Camp).

But the day after I do these videos, my lower back is very stiff — feels like DOMs! I was a bit worried as I've never really had DOMS there before! Do any of you experience this? Maybe I'm actually hurting my lower back rather than strengthening it?

I've also done Kelly Coffey Meyer's 30 minute Kickboxing DVD (and Kathy Smith's older Kickboxing DVD with Keli Roberts and Keith Cooke), but don't experience the DOMS as much.

I wonder if using the BodyBar (I use the 8lb. Firm Sculpting Stick) or the Medicine Ball in the Kimberly Spreen DVDs is causing the lower back DOMS.

The stiffness is right where there are kind of "dimples" in the lower back — at the base, on the left and right side of the spine.

If any of you have thoughts or advice, I would really appreciate it!
oogy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 04:40 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

When my friends and I started kickboxing, way back in the days of Tae Bo Live, we all went through similar. It is from using different muscles and from stretching areas that haven't been stretched in that direction. What worked for me was building up to kickboxing -- only doing 20 minute workouts 3x a week at most. I think I took maybe 2 months to build up to longer workouts. Another thing that helped a lot was keeping my kicks lower, like knee height only. Hope that works for you - kickboxing is so fun!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 07:01 PM  
oogy99

Thanks so much for your reply!
I'll try keeping my kicks lower (and going slower) as you suggest.
I was thinking about trying to take a kickboxing class here in Seattle — it might be good to get some in-person help with form.
I'm never quite sure if I am executing the roundhouse and other kicks properly!
oogy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 08:09 PM  
laurajhawk

I always get lower-back DOMS when I do kickboxing after not doing it for awhile. It gets better and I think it means my back is getting stronger. I wouldn't use weight with the kb until the DOMS eases up some.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, back issues, body bar, cardio combat surge, doms, kickboxing, kimberly spreen, low back, lower back