Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-01-21, 11:42 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat January 2021: Happy New Year!

Greetings and welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home. It's absolutely fine if you wear shoes while working out too.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

Back in a moment...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 11:48 AM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

I hope everyone is enjoying a nice New Year's Day.

I had coffee with my local VF buddy this morning. We agreed that, although we are cautious as far as the short term, we are optimistic overall for 2021.

For myself, I am keeping an eye out for more info on Jessica Smith's new Lift & Shift program. Until then, I might concentrate this month on DVDs led by instructors not named Jessica or Margaret.

Waving to all -- will be reporting in later with today's workout!

Old 01-01-21, 11:53 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Happy New Year!

Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga Plus Pilates (30 minute Floor Flow)
YouTube: Yoga With Bird: 10 Minute Morning Yoga Full Body Stretch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeOnToenNR0

I really loved Jessica's Floor Flow workout from her new Gentle Yoga Plus Pilates DVD. The stretches felt great and it was a nice intermediate Pilates workout. I'm glad I bought that DVD.

The Yoga With Bird practice I did this morning was lovely and I dedicated it to our Sherry who told me about Yoga With Bird.

Sandra, thank you for starting our new thread! [and also for alerting me that I posted in the wrong thread]
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 03:11 PM  
cyana

Happy New Year - pass the loofah and the lye soap so I can scrub any remaining 2020 cooties off my body!!!

Got a New Year email from Prajna Yoga (Tias and Surya Little), and Tias wrote a poem about our least favorite year ever that I'd like to share:

Twenty-Twenty

The year got under our skin -
the bugs, the lies, the scorched
earth
and so often I have felt doubt
creep through me.

This year we died a thousand
deaths
and mourned in private
through the surging days.

But when all is said and done
we still have inner fire
like phosphorescent sparks
like fresh snow crystals,
the light of the ages
shimmering in our blood.

I look and I see beauty all
around -
the girl with the yellow ribbon
in her hair
the melody of the new song
the peace of the sleeping child

Today the pulse of prana
moves through me
and I feel this very breath to be
a new beginning.
I reach out through this
undying space to touch you
and feel you reach back
touching me.

It is our bond, our belonging,
that sustains us.
We must remember that each
of us is a gift
and in the year to come,
our vow, our longing, our
dream
is to be the gift that keeps on
giving.

Today:
YT - Team Body Project - Low Impact Cardio - the newest one - I think it was posted on 12.23.2020 but forgot to write it down - done as a tribute to our dear friend Sherry, who introduced me to TBP
Aerobic weight training on my own - did total body weights while wearing my BFR bands and doing the cardio on the rebounder while watching the Leonid and Friends Holiday concert - for the fourth time.
Qi Gong for High Blood Pressure - Lee Holden
YT - Boho Beautiful - 15 Minute Meditation to Find Peace in Uncertain Times

My New Year present to myself was a long work-out since I'm off today. I realized I need to be re-exploring my Holden video library and hypertension was the first one. Since I can do the short options - usually around 20 minutes - I'm hoping to do these with greater regularity. He also posted a silent qi gong class in my streaming classes - that sounds interesting.

Paine - I see you and I had the same idea to honor Sherry with our work-out choices today. Saw a story on line about a moose blocking traffic and thought of you.

Sandra - That's nice you were able to meet up with your VF friend this morning. Since the farmer's market is closed for the holidays, I feel like I haven't talked to other humans in ages.

Garrie - I saw your post in the old thread about your mom. I'm so happy she was back home quickly and seems to be doing well - and also happy to hear that your co-worker is doing well.

Kate - Sorry I missed you earlier in the week. It is so good to "see" you. Sending warmth and positive energy your way.

Waves to ALL. Here's hoping for a better 2021!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 03:26 PM  
cyana

Sweet video link (still looking to find the good in every day ) :

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...ending-videos/

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 03:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, thanks for starting the new thread. We made it!

Paine, how sweet to dedicate your practice to Sherry.

cyana, thanks so much for sharing Tias's poem! I too am trying to find the good every day; I think I need to do more of practicing what I preach in 2021.

We had a quiet evening at home last night - which is not usual for us for New Year's Eve, haha. One usual thing was that today, we took a quick walk in the cold. I will continue to try to force myself outside more this winter.

Take care friends!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 04:13 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, the moose could be a hoot at times. My DH had a close encounter with a moose when he was riding his bike to work one day. Thankfully, he wasn't attacked by the moose but it was a near miss.
That was a cute Ring Video Doorbell story! Thanks for sharing that.
I was able to find fresh black eyed peas at the market so I cooked a pot of them and cooked some greens (kale). My mother grew up in the south (N.C.) and she always cooked greens and beans on New Years Day.

Beth, if you have the right clothing and layers, you'll be able to do walks outside when it's cold without being too uncomfortable. Wear a scarf, hat and gloves!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 08:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Happy New Year Mat Mavens!

Today’s offerings:
~Body Groove: HIIT #1 - I caved and bought a year sub, it was such a good deal. This was fun, I think I’m going to enjoy it
~Barre3: 30 min mindful strength with Sadie
~Neighbourhood walk - it was a wet blustery day, but we just had to get out.
~BellyFit Shakti Warrior: Free Flow
~Body Groove: Relax & Release Meditation

We had a quiet evening too, cooked dinner together & watched an episode of a mini series we are enjoying on Prime called Island at War. We don’t do anything fancy on NYE, but we do usually get together with family or friends for a pot luck style dinner where everyone contributes.

I also thought of Sherry when I chose my workouts today as I know she likes dancey workouts & meditation.

Thanks for starting us off Sandra! How nice to have a visit with your VF buddy. I am also optimistic about the coming year.

Paine & Sandra - I still haven’t caved on Jessica’s new ones, but it’s very tempting!

Cyana - Thanks for sharing that lovely poem.

Beth - Yep I agree with Paine, walking in winter is all about the right clothing. Out here it’s rain gear, lol. I’m all set with my new trench coat I bought a few months ago.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 09:15 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

Today's Workout: I did the lower body floor section from Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout. It really toasted my legs! I also got in a 2-hour outside walk. Our weather is forecast to shift to a rainy pattern next week (and we need it) so I wanted to enjoy a nice long walk today while I could.

Cyana: I like the poem -- thanks for sharing it!

Waving to everyone!

Old 01-01-21, 10:50 PM  
YogaGal

Sandra: Thanks for starting us off for a new month and a new year! Earlier this year I was happy with the variety of Jessica’s YT workouts and the dvd sets I’ve acquired over the years. But about late November I started getting a bit impatient for NEW workouts as I was hoping to get something before the end of 2020. And Lift & Shift sounds right up my ally. I guess I’ll have to be patient a little longer. Glad you got in a walk before the rain arrives.

Pam: I love seeing your Insight Timer Meditations. I also enjoy chimes & singing bowls. If you’d like to Add me as a Friend on the app, look for me as Carolyn in Chandler Arizona and I have my white and gray cat (Zippy) for my picture icon.

Garrie: Good to get an update from you. I’m sorry to hear about your Mom’s flare up of COPD, but glad that she is doing better now. Glad that your bookstore manager is also improving.

Pat: I’m glad you got to spend a little time with your son over the holidays.

Paine: What a gift for you to be able to watch your two grandsons open their presents from Santa! I grew up in the South and always have black eyed peas for a NY's day meal. I cooked dried peas in my IP today and sauteed some red chard with garlic on the stove and then topped the chard with lemon juice so that DH would eat them. My SIL came across a moose when she was walking in Payson AZ last summer. She escaped unharmed by being very still until it moved on. By the way, she is getting around just using a cane, no more walker.

cyana: How wonderful that you were able to enjoy Leonid and Friends’ Christmas concert treat! And thanks for sharing Tias and Surya Little’s email from last month. We could all use some calm, safety, and goodness in the coming year. And the poem you shared for this month is lovely as well.

Beth: DH and I began having “appetizer dinners” a lot during the hot summer here. It just felt too hot to prepare or eat a big meal. I’d often have a plate of nuts and fruit and maybe some hummus & crackers. Or we’d just have a very small plate of leftovers with some fruit for dessert. We still try to eat a bit lighter at night, but I love to snack once I get started with chips or nuts.

Thanks to KateTT for popping in and sharing her kind words.

Continuing to think about Sherry and sending her virtual hugs.

Waves to everyone I missed. I'll touch on some of my recent workouts tomorrow.