Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-09-21, 08:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

And now for something completely different! Today's workouts were:

Tracey Mallett - Barre Body Super Sculpt - 32 minutes;
Caroline Sandry - 30 Days to Flat Abs - Day 1 warmup & Level 1 Pilates - 15 minutes;
Treadmill - 20 minutes

Facebook has been tempting me with Tracey's streaming site, so I finally gave in and signed up for a free 7 day trial. All of Tracey's newer DVDs are available to stream, as well as a bunch of new videos. Most of the newer ones are filmed at her California home - some outside, most inside. She puts out a calendar each month with a suggested rotation. I decided just to do the first workout on January's calendar, Barre Body Super Sculpt. You need light weights, a squishy ball and a chair. This was a "Level 2" workout, but it was not easy. Definitely included some cardio and my heart rate got up there. It felt fresh and different. There's a good assortment of pilates, barre and fusion workouts on there, and supposedly she adds a new workout every week. I hope I don't like it because it is pricey.

Since I was looking for a true beginner pilates workout, I pulled out my Caroline Sandry DVD. I've done this one many times. After that, I tried out the new treadmill. I walked about 20 minutes, using a video from YouTube (treadmill TV). I chose one of Zion National Park because it was sunny and warm looking. We are expecting snow later tonight.

Waves ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 08:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight - Day 9 - this was one of my favorite styles a "power" walk - basically alternating walking w/ a low impact exercise. This was set up as walking interval, low impact 1, low impact 2, walking interval, low impact 3, low impact 4, etc. Pahla talked about endurance, among other things - she is beyond chatty - but I have grown used to it and enjoy her company these days.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath - Day 9 - Balance - this was a nice practice from Adriene. Day 8 was a little too slow paced for the morning, so I will fit that one in some evening -

Yesterday I walked my Golden Girl and did CS 1103.

I definitely have CS 1104 planned for later today.

My DD is going to a horse event today so I will have to go at some point as well - it is for a "schooling" class - and I have to go b/c she is not 18 yet.... It isn't that I don't like watching her - it is just that I hate sitting in the cold....maybe I can walk around the area...

Carol - LOL, I have seen the ads as well, and have managed to ignore for now....

Dana - I really do like the leg power workout - particular the hip mobility stuff - but no way on the pistol squats.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 10:07 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sunday's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 10 (walk & tone) - 22 minutes

Jessica Valant Pilates - Gentle Pilates Class - 31 minutes

I enjoyed both of these workouts. Pahla's Walk & Tone workout really was a gentle one, which I appreciated because I was tired today. Jessica's Gentle Pilates Class was very similar to her YouTube Gentle Pilates Workout. It included more stretches than the YouTube version and a few other exercises.

I decided I didn't need to spend the $$ for Tracey Mallett's streaming, no matter how much I liked it.

Waves to all ~

Carol
Old 01-11-21, 08:59 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Miraculously, I'm still doing Pahla's challenge, LOL!

Today was:

Pahla B- Walk off the Weight - Day 10 - Gentle Toning. This was about right for what I needed today - it was mainly toning - w/ light weights, done inchworm style. I think the intervals were 20 seconds/10 seconds??? The way she does the inchworms is exercise 1, rest, exercise 1 and 2, rest, exercise 2 and 3, rest and so on.....

Jessica Valent - Arms & Abs Pilates (20 min)

Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 min Morning Stretch.

Confession, I am not sure if I want to continue w/ Adriene. I used to love her, but now...I'm not sure, I can't put my finger on what it is but I'm becoming annoyed by her practices, and I have no idea why. Maybe it is the talking, but I am working out w/ Pahla and she talks non stop. Anyway, we shall see how things go.....

Carol - how much is Tracey Mallet? I knew it was a lot but I don't remember exactly how much.....and yes, some things are just not worth the high price!!

You know, I was thinking if I do Pahla B's first weight loss challenge next I may add Caroline Sandry's 30 day DVD on to it...that seems like it would be a good match...

Oh - I found this instructor on You Tube - she has a 30 day challenge going on now - she is a PT and Pilates instructor - maybe she can deliver the basic program you are looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYe...QIpMKzckf6jg9Q

Maybe that would be good to mix w/ another round of Pahla???

Decisions, decisions...

Donna
Old 01-11-21, 11:22 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

I had a sleepless and restless night so I only now finished my daily workout - much later than I usually do, but at least I did it and I feel much better for it.

Gina B's Cardio Party - 44min. This is available on DVD which I don't have, but someone posted that it's free on Prime, so I've decided to try it. It's a nice, basic, beginner-level dance workout and the time flew. It fit the 30-min steady-state cardio that was suggested on JV's calendar.
ePilates Abs/Butt/UB - 14min. Short and to the point. I liked it a lot.

I'm going to try to add some stretching and/or yoga to do in the evening to help me destress and relax. We'll se how that goes.

Carol, I have several Tracy Mallett DVDs and I used to like them. Should pull them out again.

Donna, I looked at Pahla's new challenge and was briefly tempted to give her a try again, but I just can't get past her incessant chatter. I haven't done Adrienne's yoga in years so I don't remember how much she talks but generally, I prefer instructors who don't feel the need to talk constantly.

I'm going to explore Amazon Prime and see what other workouts are there to try.

Waves to everyone!
Old 01-11-21, 12:07 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Donna, nice find with Annie Pilates! Thanks. I'll check her out.
Old 01-11-21, 04:23 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Flat Abs Power Walk, Walk Off Belly Fat DVD

My sleep issues are the same as others mentioned: I fall asleep fine but can't stay asleep as long as I should. It is nice to know I'm not the only one.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 07:07 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Monday's workouts were

Pahla B - Walk Off the Weight - Day 11 (walk & balance) - 22 minutes;
Pilates By Lisa - Beginner's Series - Day 1 - 23 minutes

I got my bloodwork back from last week. Joy - my triglycerides are down from 306 (eek!) in May to 161 (top end of normal is 149), and total cholesterol is down from 254 to 195 (top end of normal is 199!). My bad cholesterol is still high, but these are the best numbers I've had in years; these numbers run high in my family. Sadly, my blood sugar is still too high. I see the doctor tomorrow.

Donna - I found the Annie Pilates YouTube channel last week I think. It still looked a little more challenging than what I would consider beginner level. Tracey is good, but hard. On the videos I watched she didn't give many modifications. She is probably something I will circle back to at some point. In the back of my head Jessica Smith's new set is floating around - I know I will want to jump into it once it comes out, so it's hard to commit to another "main" workout at this point. Add ons like PBL are another matter.

Brenda - I don't know why that waking up business starts as we age, but it sure seems to. Not fair!

Dana - Tracey is very pleasant. She has added a lot of new material and hits the areas I like to do most - barre and pilates. I have such respect for her after the brain tumor that she had a few years back. To have made such a complete recovery in as quick of a time as she did is impressive. As for Pahla's chatter - I originally thought I would feel the same way, but for some reason, I've grown accustomed to it (and even miss it when I don't do a Pahla workout for a while). It's weird. I'm a super quiet person and a major introvert, yet I like her.

Waves ~

Carol
Old 01-12-21, 08:36 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight Day 11 (Balance Practice). I really was not expecting to like this workout - but I did....one circuit repeated 2X - first round was 40 sec cardio/20 sec balance the second round she reverse to 40 sec balance, 20 sec cardio. I actually do have pretty decent balance so I didn't struggle all that much with this one. I wonder if balance may be a genetic thing - my DD also has good balance - she rides horses (and, knock wood, has only fallen a few times) and she ice skates....I don't do either of those things, so not sure where my balance comes from.

Yoga w/ Adriene - Breath Day 10 - Connect - well, what a difference a day makes, I was in the mood for Adriene today. I think the key with me doing her challenges is going with the flow so to speak and skipping days as I need to. Today she was fine and didn't bother me at all.

Jessica Valent - PT for SI Joint. I like this short workout for the SI joint.

Yesterday for extra activity I did CS 1105 and about 15 min of a Walking Online Workout. My subscription to WOW ends in a few days so I figure I'll use those for some extra activity until my sub ends.

Carol - wow, those are awesome numbers from your bloodwork. Really amazing transformation - good job on the work you did to get there. I wish my DH would follow your example, he also has the family history of high triglycerides, cholesterol, and his sister, who is my age, has Type 2 diabetes already and has had it for years. But, alas, he tends to go in spurts w/ fitness and diet and no matter how much I tell him to start slow, do one thing at a time - he is an all or nothing person. So, he'll go completely strict on food, completely crazy on exercise, sustain it for a period of time and then something will happen - and he will completely come off the wagon. Persistence with something like that is so hard..so congrats!! I hear you about Jessica's Lift and Shift. I keep thinking about taking WS 1 out again and working through that, WS2 and then WS3 to get in shape for it. LOL!

Dana - Like Carol, I have come to enjoy Pahla's chatter - it doesn't bother me at all and if I don't do her workouts I tend to start to miss it. Maybe in yoga it bothers me b/c you are supposed to be still and quiet and sometimes Adriene just talks too much for my tastes.

Brenda - It is frustrating to not be able to sleep well. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep, other times I just have to get up and go read or something to quiet my mind back down.

Hope everyone has a good day ---

Donna
Old 01-12-21, 04:37 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith Lower Body Circuit Walk

Carol, yay on the good numbers!!!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote