Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-20, 12:13 PM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

More workouts like PHA?

Hi all,

I'm discovering that I love the format of Cathe's PHA workouts, I only have 2 and 3 but I love the moderate weights, moving quickly from one exercise to another keeping the heart rate elevated the entire workout, this is definitely right up my alley.

Are there any other instructors that have done this type of workout? I tried doing a search for PHA and that is too short of a search term so I'm hoping you can help me out. Thanks!
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 01:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I tagged this thread.

Heidi Tanner's workouts employ PHA, particularly Firm Cardio (1995) which was advertised as using PHA.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 01:18 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I don't know if you like to use downloads or not....but Cathe Live has (5) versions of PHA workouts. Regular price for the downloads is $9.97 each but you can usually use a coupon code to get two or more for less.

#57 - PHA Training Class - 7/2/15 - 52 minutes
"With PHA training, you alternate between upper and lower body resistance training exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up, for cardiovascular and fat-burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises, maximizes blood flow to all parts of your body and reduces build-up of lactic acid. "

Equipment:
One Barbell With Two Big Plates On Each Side.... totals 45lbs (or whatever weight you use for plié squats and deadlifts)
A set of 5, 8, 10, 12 pound dumbbells
A fitness mat

#94 - PHAT (Peripheral Heart Action Training) - 3/24/16 - 45 minutes
This is our second time doing this format on Cathe Live. With PHA training you alternate between upper and lower body resistance training exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up for cardiovascular and fat burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises maximizes blood flow to all parts of your body increasing your metabolism as you build lean muscle mass and shape/define your muscles.

Equipment:
A variety of weighted dumbbells for upper and lower body exercises. If you prefer to go heavier on legs, have heavier dumbbells available.
A full sized step (to be used ONLY AS A WEIGHT BENCH ...no cardio stepping).
A fitness mat

#184 - PHA 3 - 2/8/18 - 47 minutes
PHA (Peripheral Heart Action) training is a form of resistance training performed in a circuit fashion (meaning very little rest between exercises). PHA training requires you to perform multiple exercises in rapid succession, but alternating between upper and lower body exercises.

Equipment:
A barbell (with the ability to have a small, medium and large plate per side). The workout starts with a big and medium plate on each side of the barbell so please have that set up and ready before the workout starts.
Various weighted dumbbells
A fitness mat
Optional one inch heel wedge (for the front squat & deadlift)

#238 - PHA Plus Cardio Blasts - 2/28/19 - 55 minutes
Traditional PHA workouts alternate from lower body exercises to upper body exercises with little (to almost no) breaks in between. So now we’re going to add cardio blasts before every lower body exercise. So it’s cardio blast, lower body exercise, upper body exercise... etc.

Equipment:
A Full Sized Step w/three risers under each side ...(to be used as a weight bench only. No cardio will be performed the step)
A set of 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15-pound dumbbells
A fitness mat

#278 - PHA 2020 - 1/2/20 - 44 minutes
It’s time to get your New Year pumping so grab your handweights and let’s show 2020 who’s boss!!!

Equipment:
Moderate to heavy dumbbells ( we’ll be using 10’s, 12’s and 15’s)
A fitness mat
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 01:24 PM  
buffmama

Jillian Michaels uses it a lot in her workouts.
Old 01-29-20, 03:17 PM  
JezthePuff2

I absolutely love Cathe's PHA too! They remind me a bit of Firm workouts. I'll checkout those Live workouts and maybe do a download. Thanks!

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 06:30 PM  
ncl

I am digging them too. I did PHA 3 yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Nice workout.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 05:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I really like them, also. Someone here (KateTT?) recommended Sydney Cummings on youtube, and in particular, this workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfBh8O87VTs is apparently PHA-like -- alternating upper and lower work. I still haven't tried this particular workout.
Old 01-31-20, 08:16 AM  
wlorrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I really like them, also. Someone here (KateTT?) recommended Sydney Cummings on youtube, and in particular, this workout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfBh8O87VTs is apparently PHA-like -- alternating upper and lower work. I still haven't tried this particular workout.
Wow! This looks awesome. Thanks for suggesting this workout!
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 09:00 AM  
Sunrise
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions! I have FIRM Cardio (and Strength) and love them, they are my most used FIRMs, I just don't always have an hour to workout.

I have never bought a Cathe download, I guess I knew she had more PHA workouts out there but it never occurred to me to look into them, thanks for putting the links right here, I'll check those out!

I love Sydney! Today is weights day for me and I don't have much going on so I have time for a 50 minute workout, definitely doing that one this afternoon.

You guys are the best!
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 12:30 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I think most of Michelle Dozois' Cardio Strength workouts are pretty similar. Even just the strength ones as the pace is faster.....feels like PHA to me.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe pha, cathe pha3, peripheral heart action, pha step