Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 12-08-02, 11:34 AM  
RuthNYC
VF Supporter

The newer DVDs are perfect for time crunch workouts....

because of the dvd format and also many newer dvds are taking advantage of the mix and match possibilities.

My latest purchases that qualify as great programs for creative and effective short routines (none were mentioned,so far, I think) are:

10 minute solution
Donna Read:dynamic yoga blend, all out strength, step fever.
Donna Richardson:3 Day Rotation
Karen Voight:Ultimate Circuit Training.

The Donna Read DVD was my best purchase--biggest bang for the buck and over 3 1/2 hours of all usuable workouts.

The Donna Richardson DVD was a surprise hit. It's a workout for the those lighter days but it does the job.

RuthNYC
RuthNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 12:39 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: The newer DVDs are perfect for time crunch workouts....

Quote:
Originally posted by RuthNYC

The Donna Read DVD was my best purchase--biggest bang for the buck and over 3 1/2 hours of all usuable workouts.

RuthNYC
Ruth, is the yoga segment really terrific. I just got a dvd player and am trying to restrain myself re: purchases. My first buy was Slow & Heavy since I know I'd never do it in its 3-set form -- of course I can't do that kind of weight training until my shoulder heals...but I digress...)

My second buy was Yoga for Strength & Energy (hasn't arrived yet) -- yes! to no more fast forwarding across those two often-used releases!
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 02:00 PM  
Mandy

How Could I forget??!!

Thanks WWWendy!! I forgot to add Firm Super Body Sculpt!! A quick workout. I've used the leg portion many many times and it works well in just 10 minutes with a 3 minute warmup and 3 minute cooldown. Or you can do the upper body part of Super Body Sculpt which is a 12 minute upper body workout with 3 minute warmup and 2 minute stretch. The Ab portion in Super Body Sculpt is 6 minutes with a 2 minute warmup and cooldown. This is one of my favorite Firms. Great for a busy woman!

Mandy Lee
Old 12-08-02, 02:12 PM  
bona56
VF Supporter

May I add?

This is so full of helpful hints; may I add:

Quick Fix Total Mix DVD for 10 minute segments of abs, arms, butt and it is easily programmable right on the screen.

7 day solution-I love this tape! 2- 30 minute efficient and effective workouts, one cardio, one strength and Tracy and Michelle are 2 of my faves.

Tamilee Cardio Blast (I think someone said that)

I just got Tamilee Weight Loss and it looks great.

Pick Your Spot Pilates; again 10 minute segments to choose from on DVD.

I know some people's opinions of Denise, but the second segment of Fat Burning Blast really gets me a good workout in about 25 minutes (interval).
bona56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 02:44 PM  
Michele S

For cardio:
CTX!!!! I do the cardio portions of these vids almost everyday!! Also, Leslie Sansone (videos that are 2 miles or less) are good for 30min (or less!) workouts... I also like Denise Austin's "blast away 10#" video. This tape has 2 20min workouts that are pretty solid.

For strength workouts:
Tamilee Webb's I want those series are all good. Each tape has 2 15min workouts. On a lot of days I'll do an arms segment and an abs segment for 30min of toning.

For stretching:
Tamilee Webb again... I love her Total Body Stretch tape (3 10 min segments). I also like Yoga zone "yoga for abs" and "evening stress release". These tapes (dvd's) have 2 20min workouts each.

Michele
Michele S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 02:46 PM  
bethlee

fav short

Well, these may be more "efficient, less than an hour" than "short, and they are cardio or mixed (so forgive me, maybe I'm way off topic) but

Alain B, Kickbox Circuit
Cathe, Circuit Max (CTX series)
Allan Lankford, Power Kicks
Gin Miller, Intense Moves

beth
bethlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 03:41 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

I vote for . . .

MIS split in half - each 1/2 is killer! I do these 2x a week for a total of four short killer strength training workouts.

Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight (upper and lower split) is okay if you can take the whooping - more intermediate in nature.

Also, I do the first 1/2 of Body Bar Energy Action Circuit with Mindy when I want 1/2 hour killer interval cardio.

I also like the 30-minute Victoria Johnson video Victoria's HABIT, and the 30-minute videos Lethal Legs and Lethal Buns (lower only).

ALWAYS have a Plan B.
Old 12-08-02, 06:17 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Another suggestion

Robert Sherman's Body Wisdom. It clocks in at 26:30 from the beginning of the actual workout (not the yakking at the beginning) to the "namaste" at the end.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 06:34 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Here are my favorites. I apologize in advance for duplicating the choices of others, but for some reason, alternating posts in this thread are being rendered in little boxes, as if they were in some font that my computer doesn't recognize.

Any one of Cory Everson's Body Sculpting System tapes comes in under 30 minutes, if you skip the warm-up (I like to think of tacking these on after a cardio tape, so the warm-up isn't necessary). Of course, I second the selection of Cory's GHAS.

Joyce Vedral, Definition series. Even if you do the Maximum plan, the upper body tape comes in at about 31:30, the middle body at 18:30, and the lower body at about 21:30.

Franny Benedetto, All-Out Step (CIA 2202), either half of the workout. I'm sure that the hi-lo is just as good (and the two halves are just as short), but I haven't done it yet.

Either of the first two sections of Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes

Yoga for Stress release

P.M. Yoga for Beginners

If I think of anything else, I'll just hit "edit."
Mollie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 07:57 PM  
Bebop

Mandy mentioned all the ones I was going to but I thought of another couple of tapes -

Denise Austin - mat workout based on the work of J.H. Pilates - it's 2 20 min. workouts - the first is classic pilates - the 2nd is a yoga/pilates combo. Also, her Power yoga workout is good - again - 2 20 min. workouts - the first is a more advanced pilates workout and then the 2nd is a yoga workout.

Her Pilates for everyone is 30 minutes - I like it - Paula Z did not give it a great workout and I agreed with her review but I just ignore Denise's over chattiness in this one.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorites, hit the spot, short workouts, sizzler, yoga now