Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-19, 02:33 PM  
killoffsonny

I still write a check for church tithe. I pay credit card bill with a check. I sometimes pay my hair stylist by check because she only accepts check or cash. I usually try to have cash on hand when I get my hair cut. DH does the household finances and I believe he only writes a check for our HO fees. Everything else is paid electronically.

I dont' have the opinion that people who still write checks are less intelligent. But I don't like being behind someone in a grocery store who is writing a check. That hasn't happened in several months though.
Old 10-05-19, 02:34 PM  
Vantreesta

It still seems ridiculous to me. How are kids supposed to buy things on their own and learn responsibility??
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 02:56 PM  
jusca

I haven't written a check since I was fresh out of high school in the 2000s. I used to pay bills with them and mail them. I switched to online payments shortly after cause I would have to have the money available to pay the check much sooner than the due date. Online? I can wait till the last minute on the due date to pay which was been helpful whenever deposits had been slow to post. Plus I don't like how much information a check exposes to anyone who sees it. It's all too easy to use routing numbers and account numbers online for purchases.

I hate check writers in the store. A middle aged lady was holding up the line writing a check. lol I wished she would have just gotten a debit card.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 03:23 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I write checks for my lawn guy but everything else I pay through online banking or credit card. For those who write checks and mail them for utilities, etc., have you tried your online banking? It's still a check (or electronic transfer) and you save a stamp. I online banking!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 03:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I write checks for my lawn guy but everything else I pay through online banking or credit card. For those who write checks and mail them for utilities, etc., have you tried your online banking? It's still a check (or electronic transfer) and you save a stamp. I online banking!
I am going to switch to paying online for our cable/phone/internet which we have through the same company. I found out that they give a ten dollar a month discount for having automatic withdrawal set up!

I am pretty sure our township charges extra for online payments for water, sewer (yes, they are separate!) and taxes, so I mail in checks for those.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 03:32 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
It still seems ridiculous to me. How are kids supposed to buy things on their own and learn responsibility??
Our twenty year old son pays for everything when he is out with his debit or credit card, and pays his bills online. I have to drum it into him to carry SOME cash with him at all times just in case. Not every single place accepts debit or credit. Every time when he's running out the door at the last minute to get his hair cut, he hits me up for cash for the tip. (that can't be put on a credit or debit card). I told him this past time that he has to go and take out cash himself from now on or explain to the stylist he has been going to since he was eleven that he forgot cash for her tip! Sigh....He makes the appointments weeks in advance, so he knows he needs the cash for the tip.

Old 10-05-19, 03:34 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I pay my utility bills the same way - check sent snail mail.

Have any of you gone to places where they refuse to accept cash? That happened to DH & I three times this summer. Two different golf courses refused to accept cash payment, and we ran into the same thing when we wanted to take a tour boat ride while on vacation. Credit cards were the only payment accepted.
We have seen signs up at various places that do not take cash, and a lot of parking lots where you pay by machine only take credit or debit cards.

Old 10-05-19, 03:34 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

If I eat out, random ever happens, I put the tip on the card also

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 03:35 PM  
alisoncooks

Oh, I thought we were just talking about buying stuff from people online.

I totally pay all our bills by check/snail mail. Everything else (all purchases: groceries and gas, etc) are by credit card.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 03:57 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
My utility companies charge a fee to pay online, $1 or $2 each transaction. More than the price of a stamp. Yet they hound me in each bill to pay online. My message to them is this: don't hound me to pay online & then punish me by charging more, I'm not biting.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
payment options