Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-15, 10:23 PM  
bfit

OT: help! What is normal for two new cats?

We have two new cats - a son and a mother (5 and 6 years old) that we brought home from a rescue shelter on Saturday afternoon. They've been living together in a cage for over 2 months. We put them in the laundry room with all their stuff for the first 24 hours and then we opened the door so they could get out if they wanted to. They're coming out more and more, but we put them in that room at night and also when we're gone since we're not sure yet how they're going to act if no one is around. Sometimes they are friendly, and sometimes they are scared. Sometimes they hang around with each other, and other times the mom is growling at the son when he gets too close to her. Sometimes they just decide to tear around the house like they're going for a run or something. It's been a long time since we've had younger cats or a new cat, and we've never had two cats before. Is all of this normal? Is there anything we should be doing? We have a vet check-up on Monday, and we're going to ask these questions then too. Thanks in advance to all of the cat lovers here!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 10:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

This is a stressful time for them. It's a new environment with new people. The shelter was stressful and now here's another new place and more stress. All cats react differently to these situations. The shelter should have given you some information on this. The shelter where I volunteer has a help line. Maybe this one does, too? I'd call the shelter if you're concerned They should be trained to advise you. Otherwise, the vet can help. Just be patient. Don't force them to do anything. It sounds normal to me. Just give them time. It has only been a few days. Cats need to get used to their surroundings and feel comfortable. No worries.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 10:37 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Remember that they've both been through a HUGE transition. It would make sense that they are reticent, unsure, and hyper alert. This could also bring on Mom's testiness with her boy. I think things will settle down in a few weeks as the cats adjust to their new surroundings, their new owners, and the new routines they're learning.

When I brought Marvel home I did a lot of talking in a sing song voice to try to ease his anxiety. I also was very lavish with treats with both him and my resident cat Inky so they both associated the other and me with good things. I would also encourage bondingwith you and exploration of the home through play. Trailing a long string that the cats and chase around the house is both fun and stress reducing.

I've been reading about your journey to get a new cat (which turned into cats) and you haven't had these two that long. Give it time and soon you'll have a great fur family,!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 10:49 PM  
sugar rose

How exciting to have new kitties! Cats in general don't like to "move house." Most of them feel very stressed. One of my cats, Rose, wouldn't come out from under the bed for three days when I first brought her home.

I think Joni O and Sabine have given you good advice - it sounds normal. Enjoy your new angel cats!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 11:00 PM  
andtckrtoo

That sounds like typical cats to me.

I work in cat rescue and we typically recommend confining the cats to a single room for up to two weeks to help them feel more secure. Then slowly let them explore more. I know it seems cruel to confine them, but it is really helping them, especially if they have been living in a crate for 2 months. Too much freedom can be simply overwhelming. Also it gives you the opportunity to hand feed them treats and good things - like chicken, tuna, etc. - so they learn that you bring good things with you.

When my daughter was small, we had two cats, Chloe and Sondi. We moved yearly as my then hubby was military. Chloe was pretty much fine, but Sondi would hide under a specific chair so well that we panicked a few times until we caught on. She would hide under that chair for 4 days. On the fifth day, she would emerge and sit ON the chair, hissing any anyone would walked by. By day 6, she was right as rain. It happened every single time we moved - 7 times in 6 years at that time.
Old 03-04-15, 02:17 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My new kitty bit me when I first got her home. She was really traumatized (so was I) but after a while she adjusted and is now very affectionate. I didn't know about keeping her in one room. If I had, I would have done that.

Kudos to your for keeping Mom and son together. Be patient, they'll be fine. Perhaps you can call the rescue place for some tips.
Old 03-04-15, 06:38 AM  
Carol K

That all sounds normal to me. I have two cats and even when they're not stressed, they are completely nuts.
Old 03-04-15, 07:19 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Give them time to calm down.Try to spend as much time as you can with them now!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 07:30 AM  
PhyllisG

It all sounds fine to me. Just give them time to settle in. Big change for them with all the new space. I used to sit and read to them in their safe place. Not try to touch or pet but let them come to me. Sounds like they are dong pretty good.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 08:32 AM  
raeven

Just wanted to agree with what everybody else is saying. The cats are in another new environment, and simply scared. They will get used to things and settle. However the sudden sprinting around the house in mad dashes is normal cat craziness

Whenever we bring home new kitties, i set up a littler box, food and water dishes, and a blanket in a bathroom and keep the door closed. Then we simply used the bathroom like normal, but pretty much ignoring them in there the first few days. Then we start making special trips in there to just sit on the floor. Let them get curious and come to you. Just go sit and read, or just sit and watch them, but don't chase them around or try to pick them up. You want it all to be on their terms. After a few days of that, they usually are warmed up to us and excited for us to come play with them! After that, it's letting them come out to other rooms to play for short periods to learn the house, with longer play periods each day. After a few days of that, they're good to go to have free reign. The general Idea is that they feel safer in smaller space at first, and you going in the room with them to just hang, lets them know you're friendly and not going to hurt them. So they'll warm up to you the more you hang out in there with them.

My experience doing this has only been with younger kittens, so I'm not sure how the mama will do, but I suspect she'll be on board before too long as well. Congrats on your new babies! Enjoy the kitty life!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote