Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-20, 01:44 PM  
angie_nrs

Wasting money chasing magic of favorite workouts

I think one of the biggest money wasters for me is trying to find the same magical sets or workouts that are my favorite. When I first bought P90X and got great results, I bought many other sets trying to find that same magic, only to be disappointed in them. I bought P90X2 and the plus series as well. They are not the same, nor did I get the same results.

I also love the Katami 4x4 set, so I bought other Paul Katami workouts and don't resonate with them like the 4x4 set. I actually think I have some of his workouts that I haven't even tried yet b/c I just haven't found the love in his individual workouts.

The latest example was trying to find a similar KBKB Scorcher set. In doing so I bought Dasha's slim series and 7 day lean. They aren't the same and I rarely use them. I just bought her meltdown series and sent it back. I did not like it at all.

You'd think by now I would have learned my lesson, right? LOL!

I'm curious if other VFers have done the same thing. Which sets do you have that you LOVE and just can't find any duplications for?
Old 10-17-20, 03:52 PM  
gladgirl

Yes, this happened to me also. The FIRM classics were my first love and got great results from them. Wanted to desperately find something just like them only shorter in time. Pink Firms and Firm Express just did not cut it.

Same with KBKB...the original is fantastic. Love Dasha, but did not really click with her later stuff.

But I have another problem...I missed so many bandwagons that I now find myself going back to some and wanting them...
In particular I am searching for the P90x original workouts! Why do I want them so much NOW!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 04:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
But I have another problem...I missed so many bandwagons that I now find myself going back to some and wanting them...
In particular I am searching for the P90x original workouts! Why do I want them so much NOW!
Ok, not with P90x, but I definitely have a serious case of Missed the bus syndrome on many series. They are very difficult to pick up too. Definitely an argument can be made for jumping in early...

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 04:43 PM  
rhbrand

OMG I was just thinking of this today!

How much money have I blown buying new workouts, only doing them a couple times cause all I want to do, when using videos, is my old Firms, and Cathe.

I could have bought a new car with the money I've probably wasted on stuff I never use.
Old 10-17-20, 04:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i suffer from collector syndrome in my case. i have made a commendable effort to do the workouts this past year rather than let them sit on the shelf! i had to consciously NOT do my favorites in order to try other workouts.

it's just human nature to look for the same success from other series. i think if you want to stick with the tried and true, go back to those same workouts with a different lens. you already know the moves and what to expect. add something different to it - new music, different poundages, change the rotation, alter the equipment, etc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 05:26 PM  
Mickey12

For me, it was trying to find yoga workouts as great us Ultimate Yogi and/or Travis Elliot practices. Nothing compares to those, but I keep trying to find something that does. I should just quit trying because I know that it won’t happen.
Old 10-17-20, 05:28 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
This is the story of my fitness life- I'm always late to jump on the bandwagon. Missed original firms and didn't pick them up until after the original 6 volumes. I didn't start doing Taebo until after all the craze and the lives were released. Lately I've been discovering the 10 minute solution workouts on YT and now I want to acquire some of them that have yet to be posted online. And these workouts are 12 or so years old! Yeah, I'm late to the party but at least I eventually show up!
Old 10-17-20, 05:39 PM  
sherry7899

Wendy, are you on vf roost? My friend Debra is selling some 10 minute solution DVDs.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 06:13 PM  
alisoncooks

Yessss!

I am always looking for "something like ____." For the longest time, I searched for something like KCM's Cardio Pump, and once I found that something, what did I do? Cardio Pump, lol.

I also love Jane Adams's Evening Practice from Gentle Yoga but nothing quite hits the spot. That doesn't stop me from looking. Obsessively.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 06:35 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
This is the story of my fitness life- I'm always late to jump on the bandwagon. ....Yeah, I'm late to the party but at least I eventually show up!
We will just sashay in late together Wendy!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon, favorite systems, favorite workouts, fomo, vf bandwagon