Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-26-20, 08:12 AM  
cyana

Barefoot & On The Mat: July 26 - August 1: When the Sun is Shining, I Can Do Anything

“When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble is too difficult to overcome.” — Wilma Rudolph

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

I'll be back to chat after I grab another cup of coffee.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 08:17 AM  
cyana

And before I forget, here's a dose of "good news" - a story and video to make you smile:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/us/hu...rnd/index.html

I thought about Linda, since she tends to have lots of critters in her area.

Old 07-26-20, 09:26 AM  
cyana

Here's last week:
Mon: NordicTrack circuits - biceps/triceps
10 minutes of stretching
PM - yoga-inspired stretching (forward folds, knees to chest, etc.)
Tues: C/S 604, 10 minutes of stretching followed by some qi gong moves
Wed: NordicTrack circuits - back and chest
10 minutes of stretching with strap
Thurs: C/S 604, Holden AM Qi - Extended
Fri: NordicTrack circuits - legs and shoulders
20 minutes of stretching
Sat:
Rest Day
Sun:
AM - 3 hill walk
I have to work this afternoon, so I'm planning to break up my work time with some qi gong/yoga/stretching.

I decided I needed to spend some quality time with my old friend, the NordicTrack. I put some music on YT (Leonid & Friends, of course), then did roughly a five minute warm up followed by four sets of 12 reps for each listed body part for that day (alternating each weight set with several minutes of cardio), followed by a five minute cool-down. I've always loved cardio/weight circuits, as I find them to be very efficient.

Sandra - I went out for a walk earlier this AM, taking a different route and found myself smiling at the flowers – which were actually weeds - such as morning glories. I felt so much better after being outdoors, it inspired my choice of quotes for this week. How exciting about your niece’s new kitties – I’m a total sucker for gray cats.

Paine – I did CS 604 twice this week. It was interesting how much easier it was the second time around. Hopefully that means there's hope for reducing Stiff Old Lady Syndrome. Has your husband had any luck finding a good solution for his biking face covering?

Beth – Hope you enjoy your workshop today. Take some pictures of the Zen gardens and share with us, please. I think the world could use a hefty dose of Zen right now! Cute story about the coyote.

Anny – I’m with you on gravitating toward short work-outs these days. If you try the Nordic Track, I’d recommend holding onto the handles until the lower body movement feels comfortable and natural and then incorporate the upper body. There is a small learning curve (emphasis on small), but apparently it was enough to turn some people off to using what is a really solid piece of fitness equipment. Sixty degrees sounds wonderful right now! Good luck with the work stress and new manager. My busy season will be kicking in within another month - not looking forward to that.

Garrie – I saw you did a Jay Blahnik cycling work-out last week. I have Jay’s BOSU DVD and I love Jay! I sure wish I’d gotten some of his other videos from years past. Has the rec center re-opened? Sending you very large cyber glasses of cold water if you're doing mow max this week.

Question to all, but especially my veggie friends - do you use quinoa and do you have anything you'd recommend that I try? I bought several boxes and need to figure out what I want to do with it. I really like the quinoa flakes for breakfast in cold weather. As hot as it's been recently, spending time in a hot kitchen hasn't been particularly exciting, so I've been throwing together some veggie/bean salads and thought quinoa might be a nice change of pace.

ETA: Sherry, The Recipe Goddess, reminded me that Megan at detoxinista.com has a boatload of quinoa recipes - https://detoxinista.com/?s=Quinoa

Hope all is well with Carolyn and Linda.

Old 07-26-20, 10:55 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith Total Body Lift (Upper Lift; Leg Lift; Butt Lift segments)

Cyana, thank you for starting our week! I like that quote. That's a funny story about the bear.
What type of NordickTrack do you have-- a treadmill or bike?
My husband hasn't found a solution for the bike mask situation but he believes the city will soon be revising that rule for bikers who are not close to a lot of people (which he isn't when he bikes).
I want to see Beth's Zen garden pictures too!
I love most whole grains but I'm not a big fan of quinoa. I have not made this recipe in several years but my family used to enjoy this recipe (and I liked it too) for ONE PAN MEXICAN QUINOA (pasted below). When I made it, I left out the jalapeño since my mouth can't tolerate food that is too spicy hot.

https://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09...exican-quinoa/

Anny, I understand about the worry and insomnia. I hope things are better this week.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 11:09 AM  
cyana

Paine - Thanks for the recipe link. I don't have all the ingredients right now (darn it, SO close!), but it sounds like something DH and I would like. Do you think an Anaheim might be a good alternative if you find Jalapenos to be too hot? Or a S-h-i-s-h-i-t-o? (Seriously, the Profanity Monitoring AutoCorrect thought I was typing a bad word and put asterisks in the name of the pepper, so I had to get creative!!!) I find jalapenos are much easier to add to recipes when I remove all the seeds. I have the NordicTrack Pro cross country ski machine. An amusing choice for a warm weather girl who has only been on snow skis of any description twice in her entire life!!

Hopefully the city will revise the bike/mask rule. At least it sounds like they're taking it under consideration.

Old 07-26-20, 12:03 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, oh it's cool you have a cross country ski machine. I have never tried one of those.
I forgot to mention above that you could always add cooked quinoa to any cold salad you enjoy. Also, I know many people enjoy Buddha bowls made of a cooked grain, a cooked bean and raw or cooked veggies with a sauce or dressing to top.
That's hilarious about auto-correct! My mouth is hypersensitive to hot peppers so I'm not sure about substitutions but if you like jalapeños, I would go ahead and use that in the recipe or perhaps start with half of a jalapeño and add more to taste.
Old 07-26-20, 02:26 PM  
JustSandra

Hi everyone!

Cyana, thanks for getting us going this week. That is a wonderful, positive quote.

I'm just back from a 2-hour XLAW. Basically I'm trying for long outdoor walks on the mornings I don't work at the library, plus a short workout in the afternoons. I've had problems with motivation to do an afternoon workout on the days I do work, but this last week I did Margaret Richard Unplugged episodes and those were perfect -- short and no-dread.

I also had my usual Sunday morning coffee date with my local VF buddy. We both agree we somehow feel our lives are "on hold" right now during the Covid pandemic. Does anyone else feel that way?

Paine: I should think about creating Buddha bowls, especially when the weather gets cool again. They would be easy, and you could get endlessly creative!

Waving to all -- be back later!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 03:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I like your quote too! We've been lucky to have had a lot of sun this summer. Sorry you have to work today.

Paine, I have seen some posts here and there about athletes who wear masks; I wonder if your DH might be able to find one of their recommended brands.

Sandra, I definitely feel like things are either on hold or totally up in the air. I go back to work next week (too bad that's not on hold, haha), but I really have very little idea what that is going to wind up looking like for this semester.

The workshop was fun this morning! It's a beautiful day here, and the Zen center garden (really a courtyard of several buildings in the complex) is very relaxing. The photographer/yoga teacher who lead the workshop let us take photos with her fancy cameras; she's going to send those to us. I got some nice shots on my little Nikon Coolpix as well.

I have to get my list for last week, so I'll be back later!

ETA: I forgot to add that I filmed a new video yesterday, the "afternoon" practice to go with the morning one I filmed last week:
https://youtu.be/v5ffD0mmX5A

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 04:27 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Sandra, YES I feel my life is on hold because of this pandemic. What is frightening is the possibility that this pandemic might last 2 years, just as the Pandemic of 1918 did.
You are fortunate that you've been able to see your VF friend. I still haven't seen my sister since we moved here in early March. She is in her 70's, has pre-existing conditions and at higher risk so I won't chance being around her.
Buddha bowls are great! You could add leftovers in there, use your favorite sauce or salad dressing and the sky's the limit.

Beth, how nice that you had good weather for the workshop today.
I'll do your Afternoon Practice tomorrow! Thanks for telling us about it.
Old 07-26-20, 05:01 PM  
Donna D

I'm another one who feels that life is on hold. Social isolation is tough, but necessary. I haven't seen my daughter-in-law and 3 grandsons since March.

My son and I have had a driveway meeting three times, masks on and 6 feet apart. No hugs, no kisses.

When I saw him the other day I told him we have to find a way to get together for the holidays. I couldn't imagine Thanksgiving and Christmas without them. Even if it means I sit in a separate room and eat.

Today I did a short warmup from Leslie's Tone Every Zone on the bellicon, followed by the Supreme Pilates Pro Lower Body Burn.

Have a nice evening everyone!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote