Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-20, 01:23 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 5/10-16: Happy Mother's Day!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 01:38 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

Happy Mother's Day, whether you are remembering your own mom (or someone who was like a mom to you), or if you are a mom yourself, or if you have ever acted as a mom for someone else.

My Aimless Walks got me through a strange few days last week. Some things were good -- I turned 65 (which I consider very positive!) and I also got the word I am set to return to my library job tomorrow (helping to pilot curbside pickup service for our system, which is the first phase to eventual reopening).

Unfortunately I also got some very sad news. One of my two brothers (not the one who is the father of my niece) was found passed away in his residence on Friday evening. We don't yet know a cause of death, but he had many serious health issues along with other problems. His son (my nephew) will be coming from out of state, and I have told him I will help him if he needs it.

The approaching hot weather, plus my (for now) morning library shifts, means I need to start pulling out cardio and weight DVDs more regularly. However, as I think I've mentioned, I also want to continue getting in outdoor walks when I can.

Waving to all -- be back later!

Old 05-10-20, 01:51 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Sweet (((Sandra))), it fills me with sadness to hear about your brother. I am so sorry. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending you love.

This morning I did: Sculpture Lower Body: Quads, Gluteus 1, Gluteus 2, Hamstrings, Abs & Cool Down

I enjoyed lower body Sculpture today. There were squats, wide plies, static lunges and work on all 4's which I've been wanting to do.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 03:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to send Sandra some virtual (((hugs))). I’m so very sorry about your brother.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 03:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, what sad news, particularly on Mother's Day! Even though you don't have children of your own, my sense is that you have become a matriarch for your brothers, niece, and grand-niece. So sorry about this loss.

Paine, happy Mother's Day to you! Glad you are with your daughter and grandsons.

I'll post my week later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 04:34 PM  
JustSandra

Thank you all for your thoughts. This was my brother who lived in a nearby city and was single with a grown son (my nephew) who lives out of state. I only saw him a few times a year -- maybe that is why the news still feels kind of unreal. But it means my small family just got smaller. There's now only me, my other brother, my niece (his daughter), my grandniece (her daughter) and my nephew. Still processing this!

Old 05-10-20, 07:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quick post of my week.

Monday
Adam DC (YT) - Stretch & Strengthen Your Neck
Total Body Solution - Lower Back

Tuesday
Garrie (FB) - Cardio with Weights
Charisma Yoga Bar (YT, local studio) - Gentle Chair Flow with Carol (my friend!)

Wednesday
Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix Rx - 5 & 10m Neck
Yoga Tune Up Massage Therapy Kit - Upper Body, Shoulders (wall)
Yoga with Kassandra (YT) - 45m Yin Side Body Stretch

Thursday
30MTF Strength & Stamina - Upper Body Time Crunch premix
Ekhart Yoga LIVE (YT)
Barre3 (FB) - 10m Live Barre3 Lehigh Valley (live class taped last year; fun!)

Friday
Yoga with Yana (FT) - 10m Stretch Routine for Neck
Flower City Yoga (FB, local studio) - 20m Gentle Yoga w/Sarah (my MBB friend)

Saturday
LIVE (virtual) Grassroots Yoga with Molly

Sunday
HASFit (YT) - 5m Dynamic Warm-up
Jari Love (YT) - Total Body Workout with Britt, Part 2
Bellyfit International (FB) - LIVE class for Mother's Day

Last night we watched the movie BOMBSHELL, about the Fox News female anchors. While we were searching MOD, we saw another movie that looked interesting, THE SONG OF NAMES, and we're going to watch that tonight.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-10-20, 09:00 PM  
cyana

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers....whether to human critters or those of the four-legged variety - or all of the above.

I went out for a walk today. I got out bright and early while it was still a bit cool, but nice and sunny. I'd intended to do weights this afternoon, but ended up taking a much-needed nap, as the feline was a major pain in the rear last night and I'd only had about 4 hours of sleep.

Sandra - Big ((hugs)) to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. One of my brothers was in an accident (someone struck him) almost 2 weeks ago and he's still in the hospital with complications. I hope the return to the library goes well tomorrow.

Waves to all - it's getting late and I need to get a few more things done before winding it down for the night.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 10:17 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

CS 1304

Cyana, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. That has to be worrisome and I'm sure it's especially upsetting since you aren't able to visit him due to the coronavirus. I hope your brother is able to return to health. I'm sending you virtual hugs!

Beth, did you like Bombshell? How was Song of Names?
We watched Pride & Prejudice (an old movie with Keira Knightley) and I really enjoyed it!

I continue to send Sandra my love!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 10:33 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I am sorry to hear about your brother as well; it's tough to be dealing with any kind of medical issues during this situation.

Paine, we did like both movies. The Song of Names had some holes but was very engaging overall.

Happy Monday! (dreary and rainy here today)

Follow me @YogiBethC