Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-19-20, 12:24 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 4/19-25: Earth Day Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 12:32 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again.

Earth Day is Wednesday 4/22. One of the few positives from the covid-19 outbreak is noticeably cleaner air!

I'm starting to feel like a little kid on a long car trip, constantly asking "Are we there yet?" LOL! Although there are encouraging signs here and there, we are still weeks away from beginning to lift the shelter-in-place order, at least here in California. In the meantime I'm taking long outdoor walks almost daily, which benefit both body and soul. Haven't done much else fitness-wise, although I do think my DVDs are starting to whisper my name....

Be back later -- waving to all!

Old 04-19-20, 02:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra I'm about to order these cool Earth Day stamps:
https://store.usps.com/store/product...h-day-S_682604

Here's something I enjoyed today:
https://youtu.be/ROCzHRzHYdM

Be back shortly.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 02:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, the car analogy is pretty apt, LOL. It just occurred to me that I haven't been anywhere other than the grocery store in the past month.

On the plus side, there are SO many free workouts available out there right now! I enjoyed trying some Bar Method on Facebook this morning. Next Sunday is my birthday, and a bunch of people have already signed up to do a Zoom yoga class with me. (If anyone is interested, I can post the link; it's a class at a local studio here, but this one isn't free, it's $9.)

Here was my week:

Monday
Garrie (Facebook) - Cardio with Light Weights I want to do this again!
Yoga with Tim (YouTube) - 20 Minute Morning Yoga for Beginners

Tuesday
Get Ripped & Jacked - Triceps, Biceps, Shoulders
Ekhart Live (YT) - Finding Resilience Together
Whole Life Challenge (YT) - Movement Vault, Mobility Follow Along Week 5, Flow 2

Wednesday
Bernie Clark (Yoga International) - Spinal Fusion Yin/Yang
Ekhart Live (YT) - Finding Resilience Together

Thursday
LIVE yoga class, Grassroots Yoga with Molly (Yoga170)
LIVE Essentrics Class

Friday
Melissa West Yoga (YT) - Daily Coronavirus Coping

Saturday
Get Ripped & Jacked - Back
LIVE yoga class, Grassroots Yoga with Molly (Yoga170)
YTU Upper Body Rx - 5 & 10m Upper Back

Sunday
Bar Where You Are by the Bar Method (FB) - #8, Arm Blast; #10, Love Pretzel
YogaVibe585 (FB) - Short Restorative (from live 4/17)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-19-20, 07:04 PM  
JustSandra

Hello once more!

Today's Workout: This morning I did my usual LAW (Long Aimless Walk), about 1.5 hours. However, this afternoon I also did Sandra's Upper Body Premix from Margaret Richard's Beauty To the Bone (the upper body work from Volume 1, plus the standing Back segment from Volume 2). It felt good to have weights in my hands again!

Since covid-19 has introduced so much uncertainty into all of our lives, I figure it is time to at least step up and take control of what I can do for myself. Resuming regular, well-rounded workouts -- in addition to my outdoor walks -- are a good first step, and will do me good no matter what the post-pandemic world will look like.

Beth: Those Earth Day stamps are pretty! BTW, I made the mistake of mentioning to my yoga teacher niece that I hadn't been stretching lately. She sternly pointed out to me she has been posting routines on Facebook almost every day -- and some of them are even filmed in my house. Busted!

Waving to all!

Old 04-19-20, 07:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, LOL! I haven't practiced with your niece again, but it looks like she's posting a lot of great stuff on Facebook. I am definitely a fan of controlling what you can control.

Our checkin is quiet so far this week! Hope everyone else is okay.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-19-20, 07:44 PM  
Donna D

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all healthy and making the best of a tough situation.

Beth, I had read recently you didn't have a Smart phone. I just got my first one on Friday. This is going to definitely be a learning experience. I'm having problems with some things.

Sandra - saw your title of Earth Day and it certainly brought back memories. I got suspended from school for 3 days in my senior year because a bunch of us skipped school to celebrate Earth Day!
Donna D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 08:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Donna! Yes, no smart phone. I do have a flip phone for emergencies, but it stays off 99% of the time. However, since my ipod has wireless, I do have some ability to use it in a smart phone-like way. I think our flip phones will no longer be serviced after the end of this year, so DH & I may have to move to "real" phones, haha.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-20-20, 07:36 AM  
Anny

Hi Sandra thanks for the start. And it sounds like you really enjoyed your weights workout. You are right, too, I think about controlling what we can control.

Donna nice to see you here! I hope you learn the ins and outs of your new phone soon. I upgraded to a newer laptop because I am working from home and my old one was really old. It took me a few days to make my new laptop feel familiar, if that makes sense.

Beth how nice re your birthday yoga class! Birthdays are definitely a little different during this time.

I did an awesome walk along the other edge of a bay in my suburb, and enjoyed the different view. I also finished Adriene’s Dedication - today was day 30. Two 30 day challenges under my belt this year - yay!
Old 04-20-20, 08:37 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny that's great on finishing the challenge!!!

Happy Monday (such as it is).

Follow me @YogiBethC