Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-19, 10:24 AM  
bubbles76

Workout Quirks

I found the following article an interesting read:

I'm Sorry But You're Spinning on My Machine

Does anyone here have any exercise quirks?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 12:49 PM  
Demeris

I don't think I have any OCD workout quirks, and I don't workout at a gym. BUT I have to do my workout first thing in the morning, right after I brush my teeth, let the dog out, and change in to my workout clothes. If I make the mistake of reading my email or making my bed or straightening up my desk, my workout is shot for the day. I get distracted and lose sight of the time until the hour I've set aside to workout is gone, and I have other obligations I need to meet.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 01:07 PM  
Vantreesta

Oddly enough considering I do actually have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, I don't think I really have any workout quirks like in the article. Strange! But if "my" gas pump is taken I get irritated!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 03:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I used to go to step classes 3-4 times a week (years ago!) and always put my step in the same place. I’d book a tanning appointment (eek!) before every class and set my step up before I tanned for 30 minutes - to make sure I got that spot. Front row, just to the right of the platform the instructor was on. I felt awkward if I didn’t get that spot. Now I always get my spot in my basement!
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 03:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm very OCD with my workouts, hence my schedule that I try very hard to adhere to:

Metabolic Monday
Total Body Tuesday (so heavier weights)
Walk it Wednesday (a full hour walk)
Throw it Thursday (lighter weights high reps upper body emphasis)
Fusion Friday (barefoot fusion workout)
Sassy Saturday (one hour cardio)
Sunday Funday (one hour yoga)

That way I really don't have to plan ahead too much and I fit everything in that I need.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 04:15 PM  
Shelbygirl

If I do step aerobics, I have to precisely line the step up with the seem of my floor mats. I will actually stop my workout to shift the step the tiny tiny bit that I need to get them to line up.

Also, all my dumbbells have to have the weight numbers facing up on the wrack. I know exactly which dumbbells are which without seeing the numbers, but it bothers me if the numbers aren't all visible.

Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 04:34 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm very OCD with my workouts, hence my schedule that I try very hard to adhere to:

Metabolic Monday
Total Body Tuesday (so heavier weights)
Walk it Wednesday (a full hour walk)
Throw it Thursday (lighter weights high reps upper body emphasis)
Fusion Friday (barefoot fusion workout)
Sassy Saturday (one hour cardio)
Sunday Funday (one hour yoga)

That way I really don't have to plan ahead too much and I fit everything in that I need.
I love this! I've thought about Throwback Thursday but never came up with a name for every day.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-05-19, 04:38 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
If I do step aerobics, I have to precisely line the step up with the seem of my floor mats. I will actually stop my workout to shift the step the tiny tiny bit that I need to get them to line up.

Also, all my dumbbells have to have the weight numbers facing up on the wrack. I know exactly which dumbbells are which without seeing the numbers, but it bothers me if the numbers aren't all visible.

Shelbygirl
I do have to have my dumbbells and kettlebells organized precisely too. I forgot about that!

My biggest OCD fitness thing is that I track everything. I have a log to record workouts, including HRM readings, and I write every dog walk in a special calendar with all my pedometer numbers and the weather from a weather app. And every night I write my pedometer totals in my journal.

Old 03-05-19, 04:56 PM  
Dontmindthemess

There’s a woman in my Saturday morning yoga class that must have the same spot. I think it’s so weird and kind of undermines the concept of yoga but hey we all have our thing I guess. We have tape marks to designate spots in class and most of the time someone is right next to you wherever you are so it’s not that. She usually gets to class very early but once there was someone in her spot already and I was lucky enough to see her reaction. She actually walked into the room saw someone in that spot and said “You’re in my spot!” in a surprised voice. So awkward!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 05:09 PM  
DCW

Members in my class have their "spots". If I go to another class, I make sure I am not in another person's spot. Some folks like to exercise next to a friend. I have a spot that I favor too.

I have a routine to exercise in the morning and it's my "me" time. So missing my morning exercise routine is missing my "me" time. I feel like I did do something for myself no matter what else comes my way for the day. It was hard work to establish "me" time as a routine. So I really enjoy it now.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
everything rotation, exercise quirks