Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-18, 08:16 AM  
Sara1000

Cathe's Strength Workouts - Overkill?

Are they designed for serious body builders? I love them but I never do a whole one these days. Example: X Train - 51 minutes just on back, chest and shoulders? I divide this workout in half, or even into three 15 minute sections.

Seems like most of her premixes are designed to make longer workouts rather than shorter.

I sometimes wonder if most people do a whole 50-60 minute 2-3 muscle group workout or if many split them up as I do.

I like to do 30 minutes of cardio plus 15-20 minutes of strength training each day. Cathe's strength workouts are easily adapted to this pattern, but I do wonder how many people actually do the whole thing at once. Hope I'm making sense
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 09:03 AM  
bubbles76

I usually do the whole thing at once . But I've been reaching for her shorter workouts lately. I have to keep it at 45 minutes or less most mornings, because I tag on a 10 minute stretch and a 10-15 minute yoga afterwards. Also, keep in mind Cathe usually has a longer warm up and cool down that what's been the norm recently. That's at least 10 minutes off the workout. Some of Cathe's older dvds also had longer rests and a bit longer set up time. Her workouts rarely feel long to me, but I just don't have that kind of time the morning.

However, I can see how they could feel like overkill. What comes to mind is Gym Styles Chest and Back. We are doing around 70 push ups to WARM UP to doing chest work??? That has always felt like overkill to me lol! If I'm doing 70 push ups, that IS chest work for the day.

ETA: I don't see Cathe's workouts for serious body builders. Too many reps per set. I do think you can get strong and have wonderful definition though. That's why I continue to use her workouts. I realize I may never be a serious body builder. I don't know how to set up my own workouts, I love the workout company my dvds give me, and I don't have the time to go to the gym.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 09:31 AM  
Sara1000

Cathe's workouts are an odd mix of high reps and (for me) rather heavy weights. At least her more recent series.

I just got through doing Pyramid Up and was surprised at how low her weights were back then. I could actually match her in some of the exercises.

The Gymstyles are crazy long IMO. When they came out I suspected they were intended as more a source of pick and choose sets than actual workouts designed to be done all at once. Silly me
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 09:33 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Cathe's workouts are an odd mix of high reps and (for me) rather heavy weights. At least her more recent sets. I just got through doing Pyramid Up and was surprised at how low her weights were back then. I could actually match her in some of the exercises.

The Gymstyles were crazy long IMO. When they came out I suspected they were intended as more a source of pick and choose sets than actual workouts designed to be done all at once. Silly me

Yes! I'm mostly referencing her older workouts. I do her more recent ones as well, but I admit I haven't REALLY explored anything past Ripped With Hiit. I own them all, however . The Pyramids make me feel strong as heck because I can keep up with her lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 10:05 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I just found a great super short total upper body weights routine if you want to try it. It's a premix on the Muscle Max dvd- Upper Body Push/Pull. It's only 33 minutes with warm up and cool down but if you don't feel you need those it actually less than 25 minutes to work back, chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps. If you went heavy enough I bet that would be more than enough strength work for upper body. I'm going to try it soon.
Old 08-04-18, 10:21 AM  
Garrie A.

I like Cathe for strength work, but find some of her strength work overkill. In particular, the Gym Styles and the Slow & Heavy workouts, for two reasons. One: Cathe spends way too much time on the smaller muscle groups than needed (as they are pre-fatigued from the large muscle work).

Two (and this is my biggest concern): Sometimes Cathe will go heavier for chest than for back. This is one of my pet peeves. It's very noticable in the Slow & Heavy workouts, as well as Pyramid Upper Body.

That said, I'll always enjoy her workouts. Muscle Max is my all time favorite!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 10:44 AM  
LoveVA

I always try to rotate through my favorite instructors, especially when it comes to strength work. Cathe, like all the others, has a certain approach to strength training, so I try to mix it up. That way I'm not working the same muscles the same way every time I do strength work.

I rotate through old Firms, Cathe, Tracie Long, KCM, and Jari over the course of a couple of weeks.

I only do total body workouts, mainly because I don't want to spend 50+ minutes on just upper or lower body.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 10:47 AM  
Tugger31

I tend do the Timesaver premixes so I can go heavier. My favorite for this the "up" premix for Pyramid Upper Body.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 10:50 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Are they designed for serious body builders? I love them but I never do a whole one these days. Example: X Train - 51 minutes just on back, chest and shoulders? I divide this workout in half, or even into three 15 minute sections.

Seems like most of her premixes are designed to make longer workouts rather than shorter.

I sometimes wonder if most people do a whole 50-60 minute 2-3 muscle group workout or if many split them up as I do.

I like to do 30 minutes of cardio plus 15-20 minutes of strength training each day. Cathe's strength workouts are easily adapted to this pattern, but I do wonder how many people actually do the whole thing at once. Hope I'm making sense
I agree. I am not a serious weight lifter and don't like long splits, which is why I pass on most of her series. I also find most of her new metabolic workouts are so shoulder intensive, it's ridiculous. ICE Metabolic Total Body is an example. It doesn't really have a good balance of weight work, imo. My faves are Hi Reps and Total Giant Sets.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-18, 11:47 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Most of Cathe's strength workouts are overkill for me. The only one I've used lately is PHA and they have a premix where you go through the rounds only twice instead of 3 times.

Cathe seems to like working a muscle or muscle group to total numbness before moving on. I prefer DVDs done in rounds so you can choose how many to do, like Get Fit at 40+ or XtrainFit Toning.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe overkill