Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-20, 10:16 AM  
TinaT

Seriously asking for those who use CS often

I know Classical Stretch is nothing like Leslie Sansone, but here's my question... After all the programs Miranda has produced, are the same moves used in all her routines, like Leslie has her core moves in walking?

I have the Back To Jamaica Series and when I watch more recent program clips I see the same moves. Has CS evolved with different moves that I would benefit from? What am I missing out on only having 1 season?

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 12:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

If you want more seasons, Miranda is more polished in recent seasons like season 12.

Having one or two by Sahra (Essentrics) or the other younger instructors is good to have since (to me at least) these offer a different feel/style. in the beginning i preferred Sahra over Miranda when i was trying "non-Season" workouts (single DVDs).

then i tried Season 4 after deciding to revisit Miranda. People also suggested getting a newer season, and i decided to get season 12.

if you're worried about missing the sale going on right now, i tend to find better deals on VF Roost or Amazon.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 01:16 PM  
Izzy

To Tina's question, yes and no. Yes some, many moves are similar. I think in the newer seasons 11-13, Miranda moves a little more slower and controlled. She explains and instructs more in these seasons vs the older seasons. Personally, I like the older seasons. I like that some of the episodes are all standing, or all floor. I do think by owning more Seasons, you do get a little more variety, scenery, etc.

But, I also agree, if you want more variety, get the workouts with Sahra or other other newer instructors. I believe they are all good.
Old 11-23-20, 01:17 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Are you asking just about CS, or including Essentrics as well? I find using the variety of instructors has helped with the CS episodes. Sometimes I have a little difficulty following Miranda and I can apply what I learned in Essentrics to get through the "season" episodes.

I can't help with the differences among the seasons, but I would recommend adding some Essentrics in for variety. Even if the moves are the same, as bzar mentioned, the feel is different. Some of them move a little quicker and can be challenging.
Old 11-23-20, 02:16 PM  
Demeris

I noticed a difference between the later seasons (12 & 13 and the earlier seasons, say 8, going on back) after I did her Aging Backwards 3 Fast track 30 day challenge, which I received for a PBS donation. The dvd set has 8 workouts and a 30 day workout calendar.

While I did that 30 day challenge, I noticed the cues for stretching the back in all planes of motion. Yes, earlier seasons have good cues, but I never, ever activated my back and core the way the Fast Track challenge had me doing.

I'm not sure where the other workouts might be (maybe on the streaming site), but she does have Season 12, episode 27 and season 11 episode 12 as part of the 8 different workouts on the 30 day challenge dvd set.

Now I'm going through all my CS/Essentrics dvds and am currently on season 12. Because of that challenge, I find myself activating the core or back muscles even when her cues aren't that good.

I may, in the new year, go back and do season 8, which has been my all-time favorite season for the 15 years I've been doing CS and see if there's a marked difference in cuing or in the movements, themselves.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 02:24 PM  
IceQueen07

Is the Aging Backwards 3 Fast track 30 day challenge available for purchase? I have other seasons, but if it helps with making sure that you get the most from other workouts then it may be beneficial for me.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 02:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

The method has evolved a lot over the years. I never do the older seasons, prefer the newer ones & my favourites are the Essentrics workouts with the other instructors....Sahra, Gail, Amanda, Meg, Sasha, Alexa.... Their cueing is much better IMO.

ETA Classical Stretch is the name of of the PBS show, Essentrics is really the name of the method itself. They are one in the same. Miranda’s new workouts on ETV are called Essentrics.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 03:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Is the Aging Backwards 3 Fast track 30 day challenge available for purchase? I have other seasons, but if it helps with making sure that you get the most from other workouts then it may be beneficial for me.
i was able to borrow Miranda's latest books (no DVDs) in hardcover and audio form from the public library. this really helped me on the overall mindset and form, and inspired me to re-visit Miranda, notably, the season series. after reading all the threads, i chose to start with Season 4. from there, season 8, 10, and 12. i don't plan to get any more seasons - i have plenty to keep me busy.

Essentrics - i like the individual DVDs with Sahra and the other new instructors. these seem fresh to me and not "derivatives of one another".

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 03:55 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would agree with Pam in that the method has evolved considerably in the last few years. I think that in general they have slowed down, gotten better with cuuing, and this combo has resulted in a much safer program. There are new twists on moves, and some fun new variations as well.

Each of the instructors has their own "flavor", delivery, cuuing which keeps the method fresh.

I'd also reiterate what Pam mentioned; Essentrics and Classical Stretch are one in the same. You'll notice that both on their Facebook and PBS listings it's now called "Classical Stretch by Essentrics".

I'd encourage you to try out the streaming; the exclusive workouts are fresh and meet a variety of exercise needs/levels. I love it and use it almost daily.

ETA---Season 6 is pretty old. That was the first Season I purchased...I am thinking 2009?? Yes, the method has changed considerably since then. Miranda laughed at me when I told her my favorite episode was from Season 7 and said it was "old and dated".

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-20, 04:40 PM  
BunnyHop

I'd say that I tend to apply what I've learned from later seasons, Essentrics dvds and the books to whichever workout I'm using that day.

I tend to do the newer stuff more often specifically because I prefer the slower pace.

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics, season 6