Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-20, 08:19 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Ugh, Lori, that's so frustrating. My own perimenopause started at age 38 with hot flashes/severe night sweats and lasted until about 3 years ago when my periods stopped. I've always struggled with extra weight but until the past 2 years have been able to maintain a comfortable weight and fitness with consistent exercise and avoiding junk and processed food. After plantar fasciitis curtailed my regular 3-4x/week runs at about the same time my periods stopped it has been an uphill struggle.

I want to start incorporating daily walks even though I've never been an enthusiastic walker. Stress is most definitely an issue (ya don't say?) but now that the weather is cooler and our air quality in CA is better it just seems like a good idea. It's just a matter of getting my butt out the door.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 09:54 PM  
momofcha

I went to his website and signed up and he sent me a link to the adrenal class as well as the menopause class. It appears that isn’t active anymore so it was sent for free. Anyone else sign up and get it?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 11:06 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

After all the things I have tried during that journey, I found out that high-stress levels were the big culprit behind my menopausal weight gain. I made a big dent into it with KB training and carefully watching calories, but it was really after I added a hormone patch that the menopot started going away. I am only guessing the estrogen in the patch must be balancing cortisol levels.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 09:39 AM  
fanofladyvols

Lori and others, celebrate your victories.

If through the stress fest of menopause, you're still working out and moving. That's a victory..so that is the result.

If the change in your intake has you trying new foods, that's the success.

If the change is adding supplements that are good for your body that you weren't using before, that's the success.

If you're trying new things and forming healthier habits and taking better care of yourself, then that's the result you celebrate.

Adjust goals, redefine success/results, lower your stress....Love you ...as you are today.

Sending hugs to everyone!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 09:49 AM  
TinaT

I am close to being finished with the hot flashes and nite sweats. I started showing signs of menopause when I was 48. I'll be 56 in Dec and haven't had a period in 4 yrs. I did this all "naturelle". No drugs or supplements.

What I can tell you is that I have good and bad seasons with this in terms of exercise and intake. I can lose the weight, but it's incredibly slow. I have come to terms with that. As long as the scale moves down and I'm feeling good, then I'll consider this a win.

I use MyFitnessPal app for tracking food. It's the one method that has always worked for me. Portion control in my life is key. When it comes to exercise, it's what I've always said... do what motivates you and causes you to push play. There is no magic method out there that fits everyone. And last, be kind to yourself and give yourself grace on those days you don't hit the mark.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 09:57 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I am close to being finished with the hot flashes and nite sweats. I started showing signs of menopause when I was 48. I'll be 56 in Dec and haven't had a period in 4 yrs. I did this all "naturelle". No drugs or supplements.

What I can tell you is that I have good and bad seasons with this in terms of exercise and intake. I can lose the weight, but it's incredibly slow. I have come to terms with that. As long as the scale moves down and I'm feeling good, then I'll consider this a win.

I use MyFitnessPal app for tracking food. It's the one method that has always worked for me. Portion control in my life is key. When it comes to exercise, it's what I've always said... do what motivates you and causes you to push play. There is no magic method out there that fits everyone. And last, be kind to yourself and give yourself grace on those days you don't hit the mark.
I could have written this whole thing except that my menopause symptoms hit at 52, and my menopausal year was 56. I've done it all without drugs or hormones (and against my DR's advice). I use a different app to track my food, but good nutrition (meaning nutrient dense foods) and portion control, along with exercise I love have been my best friends.

And I'll echo Tina's parting words: your body has been an amazing thing your whole life. Rejoice in what you can do now. Rejoice in all movement that suits your body. Be grateful for how your body has blessed you all these decades.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 11:50 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Lori and others, celebrate your victories.

If through the stress fest of menopause, you're still working out and moving. That's a victory..so that is the result.

If the change in your intake has you trying new foods, that's the success.

If the change is adding supplements that are good for your body that you weren't using before, that's the success.

If you're trying new things and forming healthier habits and taking better care of yourself, then that's the result you celebrate.

Adjust goals, redefine success/results, lower your stress....Love you ...as you are today.

Sending hugs to everyone!!
I need to print this out and keep this in front of me every day!

For me, the weight gain and the other vasomotor symptoms and all the other accompanying symptoms, came as a huge surprise to me at 45. Now, two years later, trying so many things without any successes and a lot of setbacks, I am just now coming to grips with how hard this has all been on my body (and mind!). I can't do estrogen or even bioidenticals due my blood clotting disease, so I've got to ride this out myself, and I'm realizing this could be quite a long time until I'm on the other side.

Hearing from those of you who have gone through it, and have wisdom to share with those of it in the throes of perimenopause, is so helpful and encouraging.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 12:17 PM  
TinaT

Here is one tidbit to keep in mind. Sugar triggers my hot flashes. I can eat something sweet and within 15 mins I'll have a hot flash. So food intake is definitely a factor for me. Track when you get hot flashes etc. You'll be able to figure out what foods to minimize.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50