Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-20, 05:43 AM  
Buzzer

I would say I'm content, with the option of being not content if the right workout comes along!

I still love finding things at the thrift store, but for the most part I group the workouts together and leave them for someone else. Sometimes it's heartbreaking (like when I grouped the fanny lifter DVD's together and left them!) but sometimes it's not too bad.

I love to shop my own collection. However, after years of chasing the barre dream, I have settled back to heavy lifting as my main workout, and just watching my other workouts while I lift. I am content with what I have, and working on getting rid of workouts that I watch while I lift that are just bad. Whether that's too easy, too cheaply made, too annoying... whatever. If I don't think I will use them, out they go!

I have plenty to keep me busy... I could do a different workout every day for probably years and not repeat.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 07:36 AM  
TinaT

I'm so glad I'm not alone. It does feel good to enjoy what I have. But I never want to be so removed from what is current either. Especially when it comes to effective moves and methods.

What I have found over the years, is that my body does respond well to moderate weight work with simple aerobics mixed in now and then. Stretching has become more of a priority as I age. (55).
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 07:40 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I am content in that I know which instructors I like. I'm not tempted any more to buy from someone I'm not familiar with. I suppose that is limiting in a way but it saves money! My main workouts are Cathe, Karen Voight, KCM, Firm (old ones) and Jessica Smith. Cathe, KCM and Jessica are the only ones putting out new stuff and I don't buy everything but they are the only new workouts I would consider purchasing.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 11:18 AM  
DCW

I am an Essentrics person and own a few other dvds and I mean like 3 other dvds. I am sampling what my library has in its collection if I want more variety.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 11:35 AM  
prettyinpink

I lift weights on my own with paper templates (or programs demoed on streaming), and do videos or streaming, or just walking, for cardio. I have way more than I need but am thankful for a variety of DVDs to pop in when I get bored.

And youtube! I am grateful for so much free content on YouTube. It’s a sure cure for workout boredom in days when motivation is low.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 12:27 PM  
Mickey12

I'm content with what I have now, which is very extensive, but I'm still always looking for more. It's a fun hobby to me. I like spending time looking for workouts on ebay or at the thrift store. I feel like I could be spending money on much worse things.
Old 10-29-20, 12:56 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I'm content with what I have now, which is very extensive, but I'm still always looking for more. It's a fun hobby to me. I like spending time looking for workouts on ebay or at the thrift store. I feel like I could be spending money on much worse things.
Yes! I could have written this myself! I have a lot of workouts I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I've stopped acquiring them. I'm late to the party with a lot of instructors and systems, so I enjoy picking up workouts at thrift stores. They might not be new to others, but they are new to me!
Old 10-29-20, 02:15 PM  
kat999

Hmm, I don't know. I've been going hardcore into a total FIRM and related instructors/systems obsession to the point where almost all I have are those, plus Jari Love, Ellen Barrett, and a set of walking stuff from Leslie and Jessica. I've gotten rid of nearly everything else, including some ancient Jane Fondas that I used to really like. I have some random yoga and pilates from other instructors, but since the pandemic hit and I stopped being able to go to my local yoga studio (where I was doing twice-weekly yoga and barre classes), I am 9 days out of 10 going to do either a FIRM or FIRM-like workout or go out jogging for 3-5 miles. I've even started trying to collect all the FIRM workouts that I don't already own, which is starting to get expensive, but I figure if I enjoy it, and I can't get to a studio or gym, why not?

I vastly prefer DVDs to streaming for workouts. I have a subscription to the streaming service that has BeMax on it, but the Roku in my workout room is fussy and it's honestly just easier to plop a DVD in (I still prefer streaming to DVDs for regular TV and movies, though).
Old 10-29-20, 02:30 PM  
dianestjohn

I have a fairly large dvd collection and am content with it, but I do miss the "sweet lure of the new" (as RaviAna said on one of their dvds) and I wish more instructors were doing new dvds. I have added a lot of YouTube workouts to my Watch Later list so that helps somewhat. As far as dvds, there is not much I don't have, or have purchased and given away or sold, except for the many Barlates workouts, which I have long avoided and have started acquiring a few of. But Linda's moves often feel awkward to me and the difficulty is just a bit beyond my comfort level so I wish I had other dvds to acquire.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 04:36 PM  
anetta

Yes, I am actually seriously going to start selling my dvds, except my CS and my QiGong and yoga dvds.

Even(gasp) my Firms and WHFN.

I am enjoying my streaming CS and WOW and love Youtube.

Ready to downsize and equipment too.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection, collections