Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-20, 12:37 PM  
TinaT

Compilation Routines and Rotations

I just started a thread about the WHFN parts/compilation routines and how much I'm enjoying them. It caused me to pause and take a look at other routines that have been "pieced" together and what they offer.

I, of course, refer mainly to the FIRM when I speak of this, but there are so many other great pre-mixes out there from other instructors. What are you go-to parts workouts? I would love to expand my collection with other instructors.

I know Cathe offers a ton. Who else? Do you use the pre-mix options? Why or why not?

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 01:27 PM  
fanofladyvols

Yes, Cathe has awesome premixes that are often better than the original for me. I love her Cardio Fusion compilation DVD.

Kathy Smith and Karen Voight (both guilty of the repackaging/renaming sins) have some great DVD compilations. My two favorite Karens are the Total Body Training and the Yoga & Sculpting. Kathy's Rules of Fatburning and Personal Trainer are both excellent to own.

Tamilee reissued her "of steel" on DVD and you can pick and choose a segment off those volumes for a fresh workout. (She put the covers of the original VHS on the DVD cover so you would know what you were purchasing...thanks Tamilee!)

I recently cobbled together a rotation of 10 Minute solutions workouts which was fun! Their 10 minute Best Belly Blasters is a compilation of several different DVDs and a great DVD.

Great question, Tina!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 01:33 PM  
TinaT

ooohhh.. so many good ideas fanofladyvols. Thanks. Now I gotta go check them out.
Old 08-23-20, 01:59 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I really like Cathe's Low Impact Circuit, however I have only done the workout as is maybe a couple of times, and this was released in 2006.

I like the upper body premix, and the step blast premix quite a lot. Though if I did the step premix now I would either skip or shorten the blasts. I really need to do the Upper Body premix more often, it's a good short workout. I also like the add ons from her Body Fusion DVD.

I also like her ICE and Lite series, but again use the shorter premixes more than the workouts themselves, similar to what Linda had said. Though I did Lite Metabolic Blast today as is and really enjoyed it, go figure.

An all time favorite is Cathe's original Pyramid workout, the bonus premix, which combines upper and lower together.

I think of her Body Blast series where she had the workout blender, that was a really good idea and I haven't seen it since. The Firm Goodtimes version of Super Cardio Mix was programmable where you could choose the segments you wanted, that is the primary reason I have kept that DVD and not opted for the remaster. Too bad more Firms didn't offer that option. I would use it heavily today.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 02:02 PM  
TinaT

I'm checking out some of Cathe's right now. She intimidates me. But maybe if I try some good pre-mixes, I can move past that feeling.
Old 08-23-20, 04:13 PM  
fanofladyvols

Tina doing Cathes as she and her crew demonstrate definitely intimidated me.
But you know how to make a workout your own...like you do when you split the classic firms.

It's the same principle with starting out with Cathes. I mixed her shorter premixes with other trainers. I'd go to the floor or just use the step platform. I chose my own weights not her choice. Sometimes I did the first set unweighted to warm up longer. And I used the pause button to drink water generously!

I have done other step workouts and when I'm good and warm just did one Interval Max blast. I'm still trying to learn IMAX2 but am having a blast challenging myself

I have also had beautiful VF check-in buddies cheering me on.

There is also a beginner and intermediate Cathe rotation as well.

My point is...don't let Cathe intimidate you!!

If this PE flunkie can tackle her, then give it a shot. Don't rush in and approach in your own safe way !

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 06:28 PM  
TinaT

Thanks Linda for all great advise. I really want to "like" Cathe, but have talked myself out of really trying her legitimately.
Old 08-24-20, 04:42 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

KCM. i find her premixes are better than her workouts in some cases and others have noted the same.

Tracie Long's Longevity series is something you might like - a few of them have premixes too.

Linda Wooldridge's earlier DVDs have premixes. her website provides a comprehensive listing of all workouts that contain premixes. if you buy the downloads, i heard they don't contain the premixes.

Exhale core fusion has 2 compilation discs - 30 day Sculpt (180 min, or 18 workouts) or Barre Basics (70 min, 7 workouts).

several "brands" compile segments of several of their workouts - Shape and Gaiam. Shape's 5 Day Jumpstart comes to mind. Body Bar has a 30-min express disc with 5 workouts on it. it's not a parts tape ala The Firm, but nice to have a bunch of toning workouts on 1 disc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 08:08 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Kelly Coffey Meyer is the best at doing this for me. Cathe does it well, but her workouts are too advanced for me and hard on my body. Kelly offers a lot of premixes and I rarely do her main workouts because I can find a premix that does exactly what I'm looking for that day.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 08:17 AM  
TinaT

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll spend a portion of my day previewing workouts.

Tags
compilations, premix