Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-18, 01:43 PM  
dfrank

Essentrics or Barre3?

I’m trying to decide between taking advantage of the Barre3 yearly sale or buying some Essentrics DVDs I don’t have (Toning for Beginners, Body Sculpting 2, and something else). My goals are weight loss, flexibility, and improving my posture. I’m also trying to work on learning how to manage my stress, take care of myself, and get enough sleep. I really want to do something that is kind to me that won’t be discouraging when I’m worn out. I’m a teacher and I keep letting the stress get to me. I’ll probably also be walking the dog a lot or maybe doing Jessica Smith or Leslie for some cardio.

Would Barre or Essentrics be better for what I want? I already own all of the Barre3 dvds and I own CS seasons 8, 9, and 10 and Toning, Class of 2012, the back pain and posture, and Arms, Waist, and abs toning DVD’s (pretty sure I didn’t get that title right, but you know what I mean). Or maybe I have enough with what I already own and I should quit looking at all of the sales. I would love to hear any recommendations about losing weight with these programs in a sustainable and low stress way. The thought of doing something high energy completely drains what little mental energy I have.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 02:23 PM  
Luv2WO

Back in 2014, I went through a very stressful divorce and all I could do at the time was Barre3 30 or 40 minute workouts with some Ballet Beautiful thrown in to mix it up. I couldn't face my intense workouts and Barre3 provided me a total body workout with both strength and cardio. Looking back, I felt better about myself. I was calm through the most difficult times. I also felt more confident and had a positive self image.

In 2015, I switched to mostly Pilates and Essentrics. I have been doing these religiously for the last 3 years. While I love them both and enjoy doing them, I have had another stressful year and haven't felt at peace lately. I don't really do cardio so maybe that is why Barre3 helps me mentally. I get my heart rate up and have to focus on some of the intense balancing moves instead of worrying.

I'm realizing that exercise is about mental health as much as physical health. I took advantage of the Barre3 yearly subscription and have done a Barre3 workout the last three days. I already feel better. It could all be in my mind but I'll take it. I will definitely add in Pilates and Essentrics too. It just feels good to mix it up.

Anyway, both Barre3 and Essentrics are great full body programs that will make you feel good. They both address posture and flexibility. My weight has been stable for the last 5 years so I'm not sure about weight loss although I've read about weight loss with both. I hope whatever you decide helps you manage your stress and makes you feel better.
Luv2WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 07:01 PM  
momofcha

I think with the essentials workouts you own already, i would go with barre 3. That deal on streaming is an amazing value. I always feel calm, yet worked after B3 also. I’ve been combining B3 with my peloton rides and it feels amazing. I tend to focus on the 40-60 min barre 3, but love knowing there are a ton of 30 minute options.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-18, 09:10 AM  
Exercise Diva

I agree with the other posts here. I would also go with Barre 3. The price on the annual membership can't be beat - their regular price, in my opinion, is too high. I think the two, B3 and Essentrics, will provide a well-balanced program, and it sounds as though you have plenty with Essentrics to work with.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-18, 02:24 PM  
dfrank

Thank you, everyone! I went ahead and got the Barre3 subscription. I’m excited to really focus on it this year. I’ll have to look for a check-in to keep me accountable.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 10:38 AM  
pollytc

Is there a code? And how much is the annual subscription?
Old 11-24-18, 10:59 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
Is there a code? And how much is the annual subscription?
https://barre3.com/subscription?utm_...RoC0-wQAvD_BwE

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-18, 01:41 PM  
pollytc

Thank you, Jackie!
Old 11-25-18, 07:19 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I ordered Season's 10, 11 and the new Aging Backwards DVD from the Essentrics sale. I was really tempted by the barre3 yearly subscription discount, but I just can't do a lot of barre. If I do, my hamstrings get really aggravated I am currently doing CS, Pilates and cardio. This is a good rotation for me.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 07:25 AM  
Julia

I’m going to disagree with popular opinion here. Essentrics is wonderful for weight loss especially if you combine it with something else. I’ve done Pilates and essentrics and had fantastic results with belly tightening and all over inch loss. Years ago I combined hiit and essentrics and had phenomenal weight loss and inch loss. Most barre 3 workouts are around 30 minutes, why don’t you try both or rotate different days. Your flexibility will also improve with essentrics.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote