Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-18, 07:25 AM  
pollytc

Thank you for all the options! I really love Pilates by Lisa, but waswondering if I was missing out on other stuff. I’m not sure if I really click with Pilates Anytime. I like the warm candor (and scenery) that Lisa offers too. Can’t wait to check some of these out, and hopefully I click with some of these for variety!
Old 10-04-18, 08:08 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
This is the one I’m going to try next. $12 per month for mat workouts with a new one each week. His free YouTube’s that I tried have clear instruction and there seems to be a nice variety of classes.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 08:43 AM  
sillygirl

Yes, he’s good! I’ve seen him instruct in the Stott Pilates videos.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 08:46 AM  
Exercise Diva

So I'm trying the Pilatesology free trial (16 days I believe) and so far really like what I'm seeing. I tried the Basics class yesterday, and as much as I enjoyed PBL, I find that I clicked much more with Alisa Wyatt's (I think she's one of the owners) instructions than Lisa's. The only thing is they do emphasize spine imprinting, and I believe that there's been a shift towards more neutral spine positioning. For me, personally, I prefer a mild spine imprint vs neutral because I feel it gives me much more control and I feel the right muscles more. They also add 3 classes a week, which is another bonus.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 09:35 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
So I'm trying the Pilatesology free trial (16 days I believe) and so far really like what I'm seeing. I tried the Basics class yesterday, and as much as I enjoyed PBL, I find that I clicked much more with Alisa Wyatt's (I think she's one of the owners) instructions than Lisa's. The only thing is they do emphasize spine imprinting, and I believe that there's been a shift towards more neutral spine positioning. For me, personally, I prefer a mild spine imprint vs neutral because I feel it gives me much more control and I feel the right muscles more. They also add 3 classes a week, which is another bonus.

I think these types of sites are almost selling different things. Sites like PBL and TBL have good instructors but they are selling a little more based on personality and vibe and lifestyle whereas the others have instructors that have much more impressive training and experience. And they tend to charge more for that (meant to say that the prettier lifestyle sites with the single instructor charge more).

Right now I am in the place where I want to learn more and try different instructors, so I am more drawn to Pilatesology and John Garey. Sometimes, though, for motivation to work out, it is nice to have that familiar “video friend” with the nice vibe and backgrounds to go to. There is still good instruction but maybe that instruction tends to emphasize the same favorite movements or cueing phrases, For me I can start to feel like I am in a rut if I don’t seek out other things after a while.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 11:02 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think these types of sites are almost selling different things. Sites like PBL and TBL have good instructors but they are selling a little more based on personality and vibe and lifestyle whereas the others have instructors that have much more impressive training and experience. And they tend to charge more for that.

Right now I am in the place where I want to learn more and try different instructors, so I am more drawn to Pilatesology and John Garey. Sometimes, though, for motivation to work out, it is nice to have that familiar “video friend” with the nice vibe and backgrounds to go to. There is still good instruction but maybe that instruction tends to emphasize the same favorite movements or cueing phrases, For me I can start to feel like I am in a rut if I don’t seek out other things after a while.
Prettyinpink, let me know how you like John Garey's site. His was another one that I was looking at. I also agree with you about the personality versus instruction on some sites - not that PBL has bad instruction - she doesn't at all and clearly knows her stuff. This just is the first time I feel as though I really clicked with the instructor and instruction - it really felt like being in a class for me.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 11:30 AM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

Yes! I forgot to mention that Todd Pilates workouts are all downloadable on Vimeo, no limits and I’ve never ever had a technical issue. Vimeo is also on Roku which makes it even nicer.

I paid $79 last November and have access to his entire catalog in Vimeo and all the workouts he’s added since, which is 1 or 2 a month. They are all between 40 Minutes to an hour long and they are pretty tough workouts but he is constantly providing modifications.

I had a knee replacement in December (tough times!) and can’t do everything or use all the props so I modify throughout. And if I don’t have that much time in the day I split one workout between two days.

To be honest sometimes the sound quality is not perfect, probably since it’s a live studio. But he is still a fun option. For sure it’s not your mamas Pilates!
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 12:24 PM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnPhx View Post
Yes! I forgot to mention that Todd Pilates workouts are all downloadable on Vimeo, no limits and I’ve never ever had a technical issue. Vimeo is also on Roku which makes it even nicer.

I paid $79 last November and have access to his entire catalog in Vimeo and all the workouts he’s added since, which is 1 or 2 a month. They are all between 40 Minutes to an hour long and they are pretty tough workouts but he is constantly providing modifications.

I had a knee replacement in December (tough times!) and can’t do everything or use all the props so I modify throughout. And if I don’t have that much time in the day I split one workout between two days.

To be honest sometimes the sound quality is not perfect, probably since it’s a live studio. But he is still a fun option. For sure it’s not your mamas Pilates!
That’s really a great deal. I just canceled my PBL subscription. I’m going to look into Todd. I have Vimeo on my fire stick. Thanks!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 11:34 PM  
MJ051279
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnPhx View Post
I subscribe to Pilates workouts that are filmed at a studio in Austin Texas called Todd Pilates. I’ve tried all the others but I love these and I’m plugging them because they are a great workout and actually have modern fun music! For some reason this site seems to be completely under the radar too, I’m not sure why.

The workouts are available through ToddPilates.com and on Vimeo. You can access them through a monthly rental of $17, or buy individual ones. Last year on my 59th birthday I went all in and purchased his whole library forever for $79. He uploads new workouts at least once a month.

Check it out! They are a real treat!
I looked this up and decided to rent for a month. The first lesson was awesome! It was harder then I thought it would be but the instructor was sort of funny and the music was great. Thanks for mentioning this :-)

I love being a Nana
MJ051279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 11:50 PM  
Taiga

I put this in Bargain Watch but I thought there might be a "semi-interested" audience here. Balanced Body Pilates is having a sale on DVDs (50% Off) until 10/18. They have a nice variety, including mat and normally pricey reformer and equipment (wunda chair etc) workouts. Forgive the intrusion for those who are only interested in streaming

ps---Don't forget to enter the promo code (DVD50).

Tags
pilates anytime, pilates streaming, pilatesanytime.com, pilatesology, streaming videos