Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-17, 09:48 AM  
Darisa

Thanks for the link! I don't do barre on a regular basis but I love Pure Barre and couldn't resist buying. They only had the XS for the tank top but I'll just give it to DD.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 04:51 PM  
Hajni

For those interested:

PB Resistance 3

Warm-up (abs, planks, push-ups, all done with the double tube/DT)
Standing arms (triceps with DT, rest with handweights while DT on thighs, added balancing on 1 leg)
Thighs at the ’barre’/wall (1. back to the wall, one turned-out leg lifts to the front with DT, 2. side lunges with DT flowing into side leg lifts, 3. parallel plies with tube squeezed between thighs)
Usual leg stretches
Hips/outer thighs/waist (great pretzel series, without the DT)
Seat (lying on belly, DT on ankles, one leg lifts/stretches/circles)
Usual hip stretches
C-curve abs with DT on ankles
Upper and lower abs with DT on ankles
Cobra stretch
Back of the body (with DT on ankles)
Cat-cow stretch
Seat dancing (on the back, tucks and lifts with DT above the knees)
Ending stretches

PB Resistance 4
Warm-up (abs, planks, push-ups, all done with the double tube/DT)
Standing arms (all with DT)
Thighs at the ’barre’/wall (1. plies in V with DT, 2. lunge series with DT, 3. second position plies with DT off the ’barre’, lunge series with other leg)
Usual leg stretches
Hips/outer thighs/waist (lying on one side, supported on forearm, with DT, upper leg stretched to the side doing the work)
Seat (standing, facing the wall, supported with palms on wall at shoulder height, leg pushes/circles to the back with DT)
Usual hip stretches
C-curve abs with DT (new moves with 1 loop on thighs 1 arm in the other loop)
Upper and lower abs with DT (same new placement of the loops)
Cobra stretch
Back of the body (with DT above the knees, lying on the belly)
Cat-cow stretch
Seat dancing (on the back, tucks and lifts with DT, one foot on floor other leg in the air)
Ending stretches

IMO, they are about the same level of difficulty as the live classes, except that I miss the roundback/flatback series. The double tube is used with almost every exercise, and the variety makes it enjoyable even when you have known/done all the previous PB videos, then DVDs, then streamings Also, I found it comfortable that the tube does not have to be placed, replaced and removed all the time, the exercises flow well into each other.
Hajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 09:02 AM  
Lilypad

Good Morning,
I just wanted to share with you all my excitement. So over the weekend I purchased the 2 30 minute flex barre DVD for 14.95. I did the first 30 minute workout yesterday and I loved it so much. I think the length is perfect. It hit all areas of the body and a few stretches in between. I can't wait to try the other one. Both workouts are led by Sam. I think she's great. The workout was really tough. I had to stop a lot. Especially with the seat portion. All I could say was Holy Moly!!! I did wake up with some DOMS in my back and legs. My heart rate was up there too. I have purchased from them before so I have 4 dvds already. I have the 60 minute arm focused one and the thigh seat one also 60 minutes. I also have 2 dvds which use the red resistance tube 50 minutes. I have tried them before but have been so discouraged because they were so hard. So the 30 minute ones are perfect. So my question is can I do them consecutively and how many times a week can I do them. I was thinking rotating them with some cardio. I read that in order to see some results you should do them 3/4 times a week. Does it matter that they are 30 minutes vs 60? By results I mean some definition and 15 lbs weight loss. Thank you all for your opinions
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 09:51 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
Good Morning,
I just wanted to share with you all my excitement. So over the weekend I purchased the 2 30 minute flex barre DVD for 14.95. I did the first 30 minute workout yesterday and I loved it so much. I think the length is perfect. It hit all areas of the body and a few stretches in between. I can't wait to try the other one. Both workouts are led by Sam. I think she's great. The workout was really tough. I had to stop a lot. Especially with the seat portion. All I could say was Holy Moly!!! I did wake up with some DOMS in my back and legs. My heart rate was up there too. I have purchased from them before so I have 4 dvds already. I have the 60 minute arm focused one and the thigh seat one also 60 minutes. I also have 2 dvds which use the red resistance tube 50 minutes. I have tried them before but have been so discouraged because they were so hard. So the 30 minute ones are perfect. So my question is can I do them consecutively and how many times a week can I do them. I was thinking rotating them with some cardio. I read that in order to see some results you should do them 3/4 times a week. Does it matter that they are 30 minutes vs 60? By results I mean some definition and 15 lbs weight loss. Thank you all for your opinions
I say you go for what you can do. If the 30 minute ones are perfect for you without frustration - then go for it! With continued use of the 30 minute ones you will be amazed at your progress and before you know it - you'll be cranking out the 60 min ones like nothing!

I usually alternate barre with some type of cardio so I think that would be a great rotation!

Good luck!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 11:36 AM  
Lilypad

I'm not sure if this happens to you but I find it hard to tuck while doing certain moves on the wall. In fact, half the time I'm not tucking and then realize it when she says too. I guess it just takes time...
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 09:51 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi Lilypad, I wanted to suggest that you can break up the 60 minute arm/thigh/seat focus workouts into 30-45 minute workouts if you just do sections. I love these workouts but I prefer a 45 minute timeframe and I do feel like they overkill the abs exercises a little bit, it seems like there are a lot at the beginning and again at the end of the workout. So sometimes I just do the warm up, arms (which seems to have abs too), thigh, and seat portions and go to the final stretch to make the workout shorter as well as more doable.

I have one of the Flex workouts and I can't wait to try it! I forgot about this sale or else I would have gotten the new resistance ones, but I'm still working through my last round of purchases from the last Pure Barre sale, I have tried out both of the "Sculpted Abs" but have yet to try the Flex and the first two resistance (vol. 1 and 2) workouts. I do like all the "Focus" workouts too but most often than not I make them shorter to suit my needs.

I will say that all of their newer workouts, from the Focus to the Sculpted Abs and the like, are very challenging and unique and dynamic!! Their only older workout I have is Pershing Square 2, which I also really like but they have really transformed their style and set themselves apart from other barre companies. And hats off to them for continuing to produce so many new workouts! And offering them on DVD

Thanks to Lilypad and Hajni for your reviews!!!
Old 02-07-17, 11:50 AM  
zippity

From the description, these videos follow the same format as the classes, except a 5-7 minutes ab section is left out, probably because it's done sitting against the wall and using the wall bar for arm or hand leverage. Most people working out at home don't have a secure wall bar, so it make sense that it's not in the videos.
Old 02-23-17, 11:11 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thread bump...

I finally got around to Resistance Vol. 1 yesterday and I REALLY enjoyed it! I think it might be my favorite of their newer workouts so far. I don't have their figure-8 loop, so I used a regular resistance loop, and a larger resistance loop, and between those both they worked well for all the exercises, since sometimes they only use half of the figure-8 loop. I really liked the static lunge and glute work with the loop as resistance, upon preview it looked it was only using the loop to use it (not function) but actually my front leg glute really burned and was shaking.

The Results tend to be a little long (although I can break them up, I'm not complaining about extra content!) and the Sculpted Abs workouts are also great, but they are just really hard. The Resistance Vol. 1 had a "just right" feeling. I can't wait to try Vol. 2 and will probably get the newer 3 and 4 since they seem to really fit the bill for me.

Has anyone else being doing any newer Pure Barre? On all the newer Pure Barre, I really like the music, instructors, setting, and the very fast pace, and that they still go through a reasonable stretch after each muscle group.

Tags
pure barre, pure barre resistance