Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-19, 12:18 AM  
BamaTanya

Night-time relaxation for inflexible

I have several night-time yoga workouts I enjoy (Jason Crandell and Sara Ivanhoe come to mind), but dh has shown interest in joining my workouts. So far, the yoga we've tried together has been frustrating for him. He's stronger and has more stamina than I do (goes to the gym for strength/circuits), but flexibility is challenging.
I know he doesn't have to do yoga, so I'm looking for something that would help to unwind, and possibly, increase flexibility. Maybe qi gong? Something else?
I don't know how long his interest will last and want to make the most of it.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 12:51 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

My husband joins me every other day to do Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Desk and Computer Work Relief. Not sure your husband would like this one...but maybe!

Oops - just realized you wanted a nighttime practice. Sorry!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 11:04 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I like Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3214

There is gentle stretching as well as relaxation segments.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 01:28 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

My martial arts teacher tells me not to do Qigong at night because it is stimulating. This might just be something that is just his personal experience but I thought I would mention it. I haven’t had that experience because I do qigong in the morning.

I just started doing yoga again so a I can’t think of anything that would be especially good for an inflexible person but I agree with the recommendation for the Yoga for Stress Relief one.

ETA: Maybe Pure and Simple yoga by Eoin Finn?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 03:55 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I did the Evening routine from Jane Adam's Gentle Yoga last night and I think that would be a good one. No poses that are tricky to get into and you just go to where you can with them. You will each need an armless chair and a strap, maybe a blanket to sit on for forward seated bends. Also, the floor routine from that would be good. I've done it in the evening. It has some work for your legs that might give him some positive feelings about his abilities. No props unless you want something under your neck.

J. Brown's Yoga DVD is also one I'd recommend, if you stick to the 7 or 15 minute routines. They are just edited from a longer routine, but go slowly and he really encourages going at your own pace if you choose the With Instruction option.

The Garden section of Rodney Yee's Yoga Journal Yoga for Meditation is hip openers done seated on a chair. He's in a meadow in Yosemite. I like it for before bed. Rodney is very flexible, though, in case your DH feels he must do as they do or is competitive.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 06:04 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm a fan of J Brown's dvd too. Not big into the longer practices, but his general philosophy of how to practice seems to have found its way into whatever else I do, so it's all good.

I especially like the fact that he really doesn't want you to push yourself to your limits. Lots of other instructors say that but don't really seem to mean it.