Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-10, 03:23 PM  
Melissa C

Smile Decisions, decisions. . .more CLX, Classic FIRMs or, maybe P90X?

Hi, Everyone--I am getting ready to "graduate" for the second time from CLX. I have seen some real gains in strength with this program--my lower-body strength has nearly doubled and my upper-body strength is up by anywhere from 33-50%, depending on which muscle we are talking about.

But I think I need a strength-training change. Here's what I'm considering:

1. A 3rd round of CLX, supplemented by more ab work and continuing to do cardio 3-4 days a week

2. Check out some of the older FIRMs that I never had the chance to try and give them a go (Volume 1, Tortoise, Volume 6 are the top contenders--I already have FIRM Strength). I don't like any of the FIRMs after the Transfirmer series.

3. Or is it time for P90X?

I'm looking for something where I can get the weight training done 3 days a week. I can exercise between 60-75 minutes a day.

I'm 53 and the only things I have to watch out for are too much jumping (I'm a 38DD) and anything requiring too much bend-over-at-the-waist-and-keep-your-back-flat-and-abs-in work (I never had washboard abs and like a lot of menopausal women I'm fighting my midsection).

Thanks!
3:27:39 on November 4, 2017
3:13:13 on November 3, 2018
Indy 500 Festival Half Marathon:3:26:27 May 4, 2019
"What? Like it's HARD?"
"Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. they just don't."-from"Legally Blonde"

Blog: melissacooper46.wordpress.com
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 05:31 PM  
Terry

I vote you don't do CLX right away so that you don't risk getting tired of it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 06:02 PM  
laurajhawk

P90X sounds like a good idea for you at this point. It's 55-75 minutes a day except for yoga (90 min), and you can find lots of shorter options for that day if you want. It will challenge your strength in a different way, and has a really different vibe from CLX, so it will keep things interesting. PlyoX is all about the jumping but you can either modify, or sub in Cardio X, which has much less jumping.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 06:20 PM  
Kimstar

I've done a shorten rotation of CLX before muscle confusion works. 2 or 3 week rotations instead for 4. P90x is alot different concentration of weight lifting compared to chalene's thoughts. Tony's cardio is alot of high impact moves not sure if they would be right for you.
Good Luck and it is impressive that you have already finished CLX 3 times. Go Girl.
Kimstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 08:16 PM  
MARIKA

Melissa, I'm in the Lean phase of my second round of CLX. I think when I'm done I'm going to do a P90X rotation. I too love what this round of CLX has done for. I want to continue to get stronger!