Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-18, 07:59 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Me too, I enjoy doing yoga, Pilates, CS, etc. along with "traditional" workouts so it is hard for me to fit it all in.

I am thinking about trying to focus on one thing for a month at a time....

Donna
This is what I seem to be doing now. I say seem 'cause you know how that can change. It's tough when I have literally 100s of workouts that call me. However I am older now and want results without pain. The kind of pain that tells me this doesn't work for me anymore (at least not right now).

It did help to just do Classical Stretch/Essentrics alone because I could really see that by this I did get a nice workout but not pain. It was so neat to realize that I was going to the bathroom at night and nothing tweaked, no ouchie. It means a lot when I sometimes felt like wow, this sucks, and I take good care of myself. What more could I do? And then my experiment
Old 12-12-18, 09:26 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
This is me. I have dabbled in CS/Essentrics a few times. I want to get serious about it but I hate to give up my beloved Pilates.
I think those two would pair really well together. I was thinking of giving that a try myself with some rebounding thrown in. I was working on a Callanetics rotation but as been typical with me when I start doing Callanetics, my hips start to feel really tight and achy (does anyone else find that too or is it just me?). This thread has given me the permission I needed to stop doing anything that hurts for results sake and focus on exercise that makes me feel good. I'm also starting to firmly believe that any exercise, if done consistently, will yield results.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 09:35 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I can't remember how many years ago I pretty much stopped all workouts except CE/Ess. I bet it's 7-8. I was so tired of being sore all the time and my workouts just exacerbating or creating new injuries.

One of my Essentrics participants just told me she's not taken pain meds for her lupus for at least 6 months now. She feels like Essentrics is key to managing her pain.

I love it!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 08:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
I suffer from periodic bouts of piriformis pain and it really hurts! Essentrics hip stretches (foot on the chair, lift your hip up and down, tuck and untuck the hips) plus the floor stretches when you lift your tush off the floor and move back and forth are really the only thing that makes it go away. Sahra has a video on YouTube that is fabulous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcis1qlQhc

I also find that CS is great for short workouts that keep everything loose and stretched, especially after running. I also love Meg's new evening stretch on Essentrics TV.
Thanks, Linda! I'll check out that youtube, for sure.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 10:02 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I can't remember how many years ago I pretty much stopped all workouts except CE/Ess. I bet it's 7-8. I was so tired of being sore all the time and my workouts just exacerbating or creating new injuries.

One of my Essentrics participants just told me she's not taken pain meds for her lupus for at least 6 months now. She feels like Essentrics is key to managing her pain.

I love it!
That is so awesome Jackie!!!
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-18, 09:56 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I think those two would pair really well together. I was thinking of giving that a try myself with some rebounding thrown in. I was working on a Callanetics rotation but as been typical with me when I start doing Callanetics, my hips start to feel really tight and achy (does anyone else find that too or is it just me?). This thread has given me the permission I needed to stop doing anything that hurts for results sake and focus on exercise that makes me feel good. I'm also starting to firmly believe that any exercise, if done consistently, will yield results.
Since I belong to a gym and do most of my exercising there I might have to go this route. Two pilates classes a week and then maybe five days a week of CS/Essentrics.

I've never done Callanetics long enough to experience what you are talking about regarding the hips but I do notice my hips feeling wonky after a Callanetics workout. Since I don't do it consistently there are not long term
negative effects.

Tags
aging, classical stretch, essentrics