Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-11, 03:10 PM  
Sara1000

Do you like gliding discs?

I have never tried them - for some reason don't really want to but I may change my mind when I get them with the Cathe preorder.

Will they work on my floor? The floor in my workout room is thick puzzle mats, not removable.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:16 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I'm not sure you can glide on puzzle mats. Of course, I don't know exactly what Cathe's disks will be like, but the gliding disks that I have would not slide on such a mat.

I think I've read others using carpet squares to glide on, but that seems like a pain to drag out.

I really like the gliding exercises that I've done up until now. They're way tougher than you think they're going to be.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:30 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

I have puzzle mats and hardwood floors, but I find that carpeting is still the best option for gliding discs. A good replacement if you cannot use carpeting is cardboard. If you can break down a cardboard box and use it like a mat, that works well.

Finding the right flooring for glide discs can be a hassle, but I think they are neat fitness tools. What I like about them is that they provide low impact options for exercises that can be hard on the joints. I like to use them for things like mountain climbers, ski abs and they are particularly great for lunges.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 04:19 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Gliding discs of any kind do not work well/safely on puzzle mats. They offer too much resistance, which could torque the knee.

I have a carpet remnant that I bring out when I want to use gliding discs and have my puzzle mats down. It's not that much of a bother. Valerie Waters recommends using a bath rug. IMO, that's a bit small.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 07:30 PM  
cardiomama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I have never tried them - for some reason don't really want to but I may change my mind when I get them with the Cathe preorder.

Will they work on my floor? The floor in my workout room is thick puzzle mats, not removable.
Cathe's sliding/gliding discs include the booties/covers for the hardwood floor, it may allow the discs to glide easily on puzzle mats (not sure, I use the standard on carpet). Mindy Mylrea's gliding discs have two types, one similar to Cathe's (shape, plastic) for carpet, and the other is a smooth disc for hardwood (she uses them on a platform in Gliding Extreme) that look very flat (almost pancake like), the latter may work, too on puzzle mats.

I really like using gliding/sliding discs, they're a great way to add variety (fun & challenge) to exercises, and can be used for cardio (Cathe's cardio looks really fast-paced/bit hectic & not what Mindy & company do for cardio exercises) & resistance exercises (versatile).
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:38 PM  
DebbieRN

I have three different kinds of gliding disks and the kind Cathe is selling is my least favorite because they're circular. Somehow my big foot keeps slipping off, so I don't really use my circular disks (and don't know how people use paper plates!) My second favorite is the squarish type that came with my Gaiam Pilates Slide & Sculpt kit (Linda Farrell DVD). They also came with fleece covers and work just fine (and they're pretty).

I purchased my favorites about a year ago and they're the Simtec Funslides Carpet Skates for kids! They really slide well on my carpet and of course do not have covers. The Velcro attachments keep them on my feet. They are super slippery, so you have to work to keep in control. From the reviews, the kids love 'em too.

Debbie
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 05:16 AM  
Kyra

I have something like valslides - the cheap furniture mover kind. Love 'em; however I always use them on carpet. They wouldn't work on any other surface (well, maybe wood floors, but I wouldn't do that to a wood floor).

I have Mindy's gliding discs as well, and like the furniture slides MUCH better because they're slicker. I use them for various core exercises as well as variations on a few standing exercises.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 06:48 AM  
beatchica

I have Mindy Mylrea's gliding discs for hardwood floors, they work very well. She makes a set of discs for carpet and one for hardwood. Sadly, I think neither would work on sticky, rubbery, puzzle mats.

I will on occasion use my disc primarily for cardio. For example, I will do 30 minutes of speed skaters, which really works the glutes an inner / outer thighs!
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 07:05 AM  
DejaDeb

I don't do a lot of "gliding", but when I have done it, I've used "frisbees" or "frisbee-like" disks. They're sometimes given away free at trade shows, they're big enough for my whole foot to fit, and I use them "edge-side-up" so my foot doesn't slip off.
Old 09-27-11, 07:37 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
I don't do a lot of "gliding", but when I have done it, I've used "frisbees" or "frisbee-like" disks. They're sometimes given away free at trade shows, they're big enough for my whole foot to fit, and I use them "edge-side-up" so my foot doesn't slip off.
I was going to ask if frisbees work as gliding discs. It looks like Cathe has Frisbees on her feet in that low-impact Afterburn clip
I might get a pair of them and stick some of that felt stuff you put on furniture to keep it from scratching the floor on the bottom to keep them from scratching my laminate floor.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gliding discs