Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-10, 09:03 PM  
CarlaVeg

Question Anyone doing Yoga + Barre

I was wondering about that.... I am tempted to try this for a while to see how I feel.... I am all over the place when it comes to rotations as I have workout ADD LOL.... high impact cardio really bothers my right knee (from an old injury) so I can't do it consistenly....

I am missing yoga so much lately... I've been trying to lose the last few pounds to be at my pre-pregnancy weight that I haven't done yoga in order to do higher calorie burn workouts....

I love P57 and I've been doing some of that lately... so I am going to try to do yoga and barre.... of course I will probably stick to this for only 2 weeks LOL....

Anyway, anyone doing this kind of rotation?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 09:10 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yes!! With cardio mixed in, and perhaps some kettlebells (for cardio, mostly) here and there. Join the Experiment Like Daisy checkin group -- there are a lot of us turning in weights for yoga or trying barre for a while, or whatever is a little different. It's all experimental -- no rules, no set timeframe.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 09:58 PM  
prisma

Me! I do yoga twice a week (live classes) and then do barre as much as I can throughout the rest of the week. For cardio, I usually do elliptical trainer, but I've been walking outside since the weather's nice. This combination works well for me.
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 12:10 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I do mostly yoga & barre. For cardio I do dancy DVDs (NIA, YBB etc.) on the rebounder or walk. I think they go together nicely: yoga gives you the flexibility to make barre workouts harder & more effective, & barre gives you strength for yoga without reducing flexibility.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 02:00 AM  
juberann

That's what I have been doing for (going on) 6 weeks now and I LOVE IT More Barre then Yoga and I do alot of walking (both outside and with Leslie) some Piloxing and Kickboxing for cardio. This combination has freed me in so many ways. I no longer struggle through heavy weight workouts, I feel energized and happy after working out, my flexibility continues to improve almost daily and I am just absolutely ADDICTED to these types of workouts right now. I have started doing Barre workouts in the past and didn't stay with it for long, knee pain prevented that but I took a Bar Method class and got tons of tips from my niece (who does Barre classes 4-5 times a week) and I learned proper form, that took away the knee pain. I started up again 6 weeks ago and have been happy ever since Barre3, PureBarre, P57, I love them all and mix them up throughout my week.
I have never done anything (in all of my years of working out) that has given me such measurable and visible results so quickly as Barre workouts have. As hard as they are, they are worth every single second I put into it. I do strickly Yoga once a week and sometimes little mini Yoga sessions right before bed during the week.
I absolutely LOVE this combination and plan on staying consistant with it
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 02:16 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ah, you guys are inspiring me again (sigh). Especially YOU, Judy, lol, but I'm happy that you're all enjoying what you do.

I really want to join you in a barre-ish + yoga/stretch rotation. I have such a nice corresponding collection of workouts and I do feel great when I do them.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 02:32 AM  
Tan

Yep, yoga and barre with some kettlebells and walking thrown in for cardio. I love it andit works well for me.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 07:57 AM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
I have started doing Barre workouts in the past and didn't stay with it for long, knee pain prevented that but I took a Bar Method class and got tons of tips from my niece (who does Barre classes 4-5 times a week) and I learned proper form, that took away the knee pain.
Would you mind sharing some of these tips? My knees don't seem to like plies much, either.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 05:00 PM  
prisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
I do mostly yoga & barre. For cardio I do dancy DVDs (NIA, YBB etc.) on the rebounder or walk. I think they go together nicely: yoga gives you the flexibility to make barre workouts harder & more effective, & barre gives you strength for yoga without reducing flexibility.
This is exactly what I've found. All of a sudden I can go deeper into poses in yoga (no longer have to use blocks for lunges and triangle!), and I know that's coming from barre.
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 05:06 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I also do yoga and barre and find them to be complementary.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre rotation