Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-17, 09:17 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

What happens to you when you only do yoga

So last Sunday I ran a half marathon, and promptly that evening came down with a nasty food poisoning. I don't want to get into the details but it was ugly.
Now I feel a lot better, but still not 100 percent. The only thing I want to do, actually I crave to do is yoga, my favorite Ultimate Yogi. I love heavy weights, all intense stuff with a passion, but I can only do yoga now an enjoy it tremendously. So, if I keep it up like this, whats going to happen?
Has anybody switched to yoga only?
Though I have that feeling that once Im totally recovered, I will return to other stuff, but this is very new and interesting for me.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 10:26 PM  
dnna

well, what happened to me is that I now look absolutely great,better physique than all my years of cardio & weights(the Firm) and even Slim Series , not to mention all the cathie and '"bandwagons" I have jumped on. I have consistently worked out daily for decades.
so I ended up pretty injured and only did Jane Adams gentle yoga-lying down and computer relief and chair 1 on yoga for seniors. I also did a little something in the afternoon.
varied yoga dvd but all super gentle.
my legs have deep definition down the outside and inner thighs. nice quads. a really defined torso. like ripped midsection. and slender rib cage.
my cardio is bad but I can't do anything about that until my knee and back heal.
How this happened is a mystery to me, I kind of can't believe it..this is about 4 months of yoga only, I thought I would lose all my muscle. what the heck?lol
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 10:27 PM  
PhyllisG

I have been feeling like this since the end of last year. I too loved weights,not so much intense cardio but I did love step. So all of Jan, Feb and now March I am only doing yoga. I feel great. Look forward every morning to practicing yoga. Have really improved my balance and are no longer hungry or sore. Plus I get a real sense of "quiet" in my life. I used to always be inpatient with savasana but now can really relax into it. Plus I have been learning to pay more attention to my breathing. Something I wasn't too interested in before. I have been practicing yoga on and off for 40 years. At one time practicing twice a day. This might all change but right now I am truly enjoying it. I end my practice feeling relaxed mentally and physically, not rushed, rung out. I really feel I begin my day more centered. My life has been stressful for the last few years and I am finding relief from this stress practicing yoga.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-17, 11:23 PM  
Betty Boop

dnna & PhyllisG - How many minutes a day are you doing yoga?
Old 03-08-17, 04:36 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

My story is very similar to dnna and Phyllis G. Most of my life was spent doing intense exercise/dance/sports. My body hurt everywhere. In the Fall of last year, I started doing mainly very gentle / chair yoga. With all those supported poses, I was able to gently improve my flexibility. Which made everything in life much easier to do! I was pretty hooked.

On Jan 2, I started doing yoga every morning. I do beginner level hatha yoga classes (where you hold the pose for 3-6 breaths). Some classes have some gentle flows, but I do not do anything vigorous. In addition, I cut out all intense exercises. I go for a walk about 4-5 days a week, but it's a short walk - a mile or less. My job is sedentary too so it's not like I'm getting a lot of physical activity.

I'm astounded by the changes. Like the others have said, my breathing is so much improved. I'm much more relaxed. My body does not feel like it's constantly revved up with adrenalin and anxiety.

I am definitely getting stronger, more toned, and beginning to lose weight. This week, I have started adding in a little bit of additional strength work, basically bodyweight movements. Simply because I enjoy my yoga classes so much; I want to build my strength so I can do longer classes.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 06:32 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I need to try this. I have wanted to transition to mostly pilates, yoga and walking for months now. Though I would probably do some a little weight training and step, too. While I am still in school this would be a perfect time to try it, 20 minutes or so of yoga a day and just see what it does.

I will be monitoring this thread with interest!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 08:03 AM  
PhyllisG

I usually do thirty minutes to one hour of yoga every day. Seven days a week. I do it every day because I want to.I started with twenty minutes but soon that just wasn't enough and I wanted to do more because I enjoyed it so much.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 08:38 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Yoga is the bedrock of my exercise regimen. I also walk, ride my bike, and do a very short workout routine called "Shovelglove" (about 15 minutes several tines a week, using a sledgehammer). I also throw in planks and wall sits.

But mainly, it's yoga. I'm retired, so I do an hour a day, usually 5-6 days a week. It does wonders for balance, flexibility, stress reduction, and strength. I have a goodly number of power yoga/ashtanga routines as well as gentler ones. They all have a place. One thing--I do not use yoga for cardio, although challenging routines cause heavier breathing and sweating. I tend to prefer routines that are challenging but are not so fast-paced that my form suffers.

I quoted Tony Horton on another thread--he says in one of his yoga workouts "Yoga is the fountain of youth, boys and girls!" Judging from what it has done for me, I agree with him.

On the yoga thread, I included a picture of my SIL, who is an Ashtanga yoga teacher in Austin. She is in her late 60s. Here's the picture again. So yeah, yoga-only can get you into terrific shape.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 09:43 AM  
laurajhawk

When I did only Ultimate Yogi and short/slow dog walks, I got mildly stronger, I felt great, and I slept great. Eventually, near the end of 108 days, I got sore wrists (my wrists are compromised from past RSI).

When I do shorter & less intense yoga only, I gain weight. YMMV, but for me it takes that hour a day, and several days a week with some intensity (UY is perfect for this), to maintain my weight & strength.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 10:54 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
When I do shorter & less intense yoga only, I gain weight. YMMV, but for me it takes that hour a day, and several days a week with some intensity (UY is perfect for this), to maintain my weight & strength.
I too need an hour of at least somewhat challenging yoga to maintain strength. I modify these practices due to pre-existing joint issues (and to head off any new ones), but I'm on that mat 5-6 days a week for a good hour.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikram yoga, chair yoga, deepen your practice, udaya, wrist free yoga, wrist friendly yoga, yoga only