Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-13, 08:04 AM  
deineira

Ballet Body - Leah Sarago question

I probably should have asked this question *before* I ordered this, but I noticed that she does a decent amount of lower body work hanging on the barre. Maybe not hanging, but really leaning on it, and I only have a chair. Is it possible to do this workout and really get the movements it requires without having a barre?

Thank you,
Eva
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:34 AM  
Sophie

Possible but not optimal...I had to futz around quite a bit with my positioning to make sure I felt secure. It actually helped to put kettlebells on the seat for extra weight. But yes, it's possible.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:37 AM  
Exercise Diva

I use a step stool and put heavy kettlebells/dumbells on the steps. I still found the best barre option in lieu of an actual barre is to hold on to the back of a heavy sofa during those sections.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:52 AM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Possible but not optimal...I had to futz around quite a bit with my positioning to make sure I felt secure. It actually helped to put kettlebells on the seat for extra weight. But yes, it's possible.
Specially during foldover work. When I did lots of BB I got a doorway pull-up bar that I could set up and remove easily
Old 06-14-13, 08:53 AM  
deineira

Do you think a portable barre would work, or would that still have the same problem? I don't have one, but I am considering buying one.

Thanks for your help!
Eva
Old 06-14-13, 09:00 AM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Do you think a portable barre would work, or would that still have the same problem? I don't have one, but I am considering buying one.

Thanks for your help!
Eva
Hey there! I remember from the old check-in that some of the gals there had the Fluidity bar and had to "anchor" it with heavy dumbbells. I guess something like the one used in P57 would not be a good fit
Old 06-14-13, 09:15 AM  
hotncmom

I used to have a Fluidity bar and it worked fine for foldover but not so much for really pulling back on the barre. I now have a wall-mounted barre.

If you have a banister/railing in your house that would work well to pull on.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:02 AM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I use a step stool and put heavy kettlebells/dumbells on the steps. I still found the best barre option in lieu of an actual barre is to hold on to the back of a heavy sofa during those sections.

I too use the back my sofa. It's the only thing that works for me. Leah does do a lot of work where she pulls on the barre. I don't recall if there was much of this in her DVDs but definitely in her downloads.

I don't have a fluidity barre, I thought it would work for this. So thank you to those who commented on it.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 11:19 AM  
deineira

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'll have to send this back as I don't have the set up to do the lower body workout the way it's intended to be done.
Old 06-14-13, 01:33 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I'll have to send this back as I don't have the set up to do the lower body workout the way it's intended to be done.
Which DVD do you have? The original Lower Body one definitely needs something sturdy to pull away from, but for what I've seen the Total Body newer one doesn't, as Leah uses a portable barre