Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-13, 05:51 AM  
kariev34

minimum

What is your minimum you have to workout per week to maintain where your at now (strength, cardio endurance, weight, muscle tone etc). I see most people workout 5-6 days per week. Does anyone do 3-4 or is this not enough to maintain your current level? Just curious.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 07:08 AM  
PrairieGem

3-4 times a week is plenty for me to maintain my current level. Unfortunately, my current level is not where I want to be. To see gains in fitness and loss in weight, I have to step it up. Obviously, YMMV depending on what your "current level" is, how much activity you get in the rest of your life, etc.
Old 03-27-13, 07:17 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I would say 3-4 times per week for me to maintain as well however I work out 6-7 days per week because I enjoy it!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 08:00 AM  
Indy

It is quite possible to maintain and acheive fitness gains working out 4 days a week for me anyway - I've done it. I used to work out every single day without fail but when my life was taking a turn I realized that I couldn't fit all those workouts in anymore. I reduced them to 4 days a week, kept an eye on my diet and was pleasantly surprised at how well it still worked.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 08:48 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If you're talking about my physical fitness, yes, I probably could work out 3-4 days and maintain. However, I couldn't maintain my emotional fitness on that as I use exercising as a way to work off the frustrations of life - and they are many these days.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:15 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
However, I couldn't maintain my emotional fitness on that as I use exercising as a way to work off the frustrations of life - and they are many these days.
That is SO true. If I don't have some sort of activity - and it doesn't have to be an all-out workout, a walk or brief yoga session can be enough - I really feel it on an emotional level. I've also realized that even when I'm completely exhausted and/or stressed, I will get more relief from short yoga or a short walk than nothing at all. I don't know if you'd consider it exercise or not - but the movement does make a difference.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:19 AM  
TreeLuvr87

Yes, it's very possible to maintain with only 3-4 days of structured exercise per week, especially if you're the type of person who stays more active anyways (parking farther from the store, taking steps instead of stairs, going for walks as a hobby, etc.) I am a huge supporter of the minimalist fitness movement, and here's one of my favorite articles outlining a way to make your own minimalist workout.

http://zenhabits.net/minimalist-fitn...-no-equipment/

I still workout 5-6 days per week because it greatly improves my moodiness and depression issues, and because I eat what I want to eat, which isn't always clean or healthy lol. And because I love these videos!
TreeLuvr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:48 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
If you're talking about my physical fitness, yes, I probably could work out 3-4 days and maintain. However, I couldn't maintain my emotional fitness on that as I use exercising as a way to work off the frustrations of life - and they are many these days.
This was my first thought.
One of the main benefits of exercise for me is STRESS RELEASE. If I miss workouts sometimes I am a bear. My family notices even if I don't!
I usually work out 6-7 days a week. I am doing better lately about varying the intensity and including a lighter day or two each week.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:53 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
This was my first thought.
One of the main benefits of exercise for me is STRESS RELEASE. If I miss workouts sometimes I am a bear. My family notices even if I don't!
I usually work out 6-7 days a week. I am doing better lately about varying the intensity and including a lighter day or two each week.
I think this is the key. It is important to vary the intensity level.

I'm another one who is a believer that our bodies are meant to move and not be sedentary.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:56 AM  
F1mom

I recently went back down to 3 to 4 days a week for fitness gains, ironically, and it's working. Rotations that require 6 days of working out leave me stressed, overtrained and prone to retain weight.

When I stopped treating my body like it was a work mule it seemed to really appreciate it. I'm nowhere near a Size 8 but I've dropped two jeans sizes.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote