Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-06, 12:24 PM  
sarawhitney

Adrienne Reed's three new power yoga DVDs

Does anyone have Adrienne Reed's three new releases yet? They shipped on 11/10 and are called Fat Burner, Ultimate Flexibility, and Core Power. I loved her Power Yoga for Athletes and have high hopes for these three, but wanted to hear first impressions first. I know that these have customizable workout lengths, too!

Thanks in advance!
Sara
sarawhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 12:57 PM  
Rhonda

I am still waiting for mine. I like her Power Yoga for Athletes and hope these are just as good. I like to have some 20 minute routines.

I hope to have them today or tomorrow. Not sure why it is taking so long to get to me as she said they went out last Friday.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 01:32 PM  
berry99

Wow, I didn't know that she was coming out with new workouts. I really love her Power Yoga for Athletes. I looked on her website and saw the new workouts, but was wondering if anyone knows if they will be on amazon or anything. Thanks.

Karin
berry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 02:18 PM  
adrien_73

I got mine a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I will give them a go this weekend & report back! (No way I'll be doing ALL 3!)
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 03:16 PM  
acey

Adrien_73, is there any instructor/workout/company that we aren't parallelling each other in buying? I just got my 3-pack last night.
Old 11-17-06, 04:01 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey
Adrien_73, is there any instructor/workout/company that we aren't parallelling each other in buying? I just got my 3-pack last night.
Well, you know what they say about "great minds" & all that...

We should compare our wish lists. You buy 1/2, I'll buy the other 1/2...and we could just trade when we get bored with what we have!
Old 11-18-06, 09:19 PM  
adrien_73

I just tried the Core dvd, and chose the 40 min. option. I REALLY liked it a lot! It is difficult for me to break down the moves. I am very new to yoga & don't know the proper names for many moves. If anyone has specific questions, just ask & I'd be more than happy to refer back to the DVD.

FIRST--I LOVE the fact that there are 3 options for workout lengths. (20, 40 and 60 minutes.) I usually do power yoga, and this was MUCH more gentle & slower than that. She gives you brief moments of rest after all of the more intense moves, so it felt very relaxing. However, you WILL feel some belly burn! (Or at least I did!) For many moves, she'll start with a base move & hold/repeat it for 10 breaths. Then, she'll do a more advanced version of that same move & hold for 10 breaths. She has you determine the lenght of time a "breath" is based on your own level. A more advanced yogi could hold a pose longer & with less effort. So, they would tend to have a slower breathig pattern. Someone like me who is a newbie yogi has shorter breaths...cuz I have to breathe faster to hold the pose since it's harder for me. This works out well because I finish my 10 breaths faster, and can rest & relax a bit longer before the next pose!

Here are some basic moves that I remember, but there were many more:
(ETA: all of the moves are performed very slowly & very controlled)
-Table top alternating each foot to the ground
-Several segments laying on floor with knees bent up, then lifting yourself to sitting v-e-r-y slowly...then returning down to the floor very slowly.
-lying flat. raise heels slightly off ground. heels together & toes pointing outward.
-plow
-bicycle
-yoga sit-ups
-forward bends
-At the end, there are a few twists that felt GREAT on my poor, tired back!

Adrienne give excellent form pointers throughout. I really like her personality. Also, I like that this workout did not have a "new age" feel to it. The set was beautiful, IMO. Hard to describe, but very soft colored lighting cast over a gentle fountain in the background. The music was very soothing & at a nice volume to be heard but not overpowering. Overall, the production values were very good.

I loved her Power Yoga for Athletes DVD, but I will say that it was VERY hard for me, and the last time I did it I really hurt my wrist from all of the sun salutations. (I think the very slow speed they were performed at was what did me in.) There are ABSOLUTELY NO sun salutations in this! I felt pleasantly worked at the end, and feel could have gone through the 60 minute session without feeling too exhausted. Adrienne mentioned a few times that the moves do look very easy when just viewing them, but they do require quite a bit of effort to perform. I found this to be true. If I had previewed this first, I would have thought it would be VERY easy. Not so! I am not good at rating yoga levels since I am new to the practice, but I guess this would be an upper beginner to intermediate practice? I say upper beginner because the instruction in regard to form & technique is very detailed. For someone who is brand new to exercise with little abdominal strength this would feel much more challenging, I am sure! I have realtively strong abs, and it felt challenging to me, but not overly so.

I hope this helps give you a sense of what this workout is like. Sorry I can't be more specific. If the other 2 DVDs are similar to these, I am sure I will get a lot of use out of them!
Old 11-19-06, 12:09 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73
Well, you know what they say about "great minds" & all that...

We should compare our wish lists. You buy 1/2, I'll buy the other 1/2...and we could just trade when we get bored with what we have!
LOL not a bad idea--half the money spent and half the space saved to store all my DVDs...! The problem is, I am a pack rat who holds on to all my workouts Someday storage is going to reach critical mass, though.
Old 11-19-06, 12:57 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I'm anxious to hear reviews of the other two! Core sounds just right for me and maybe the others will, too. Did you order from her site?
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 01:19 PM  
berry99

Adrien, thanks for the review. This is going on my Christmas list for sure.

Karin
berry99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no sun salutations