Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-02, 11:13 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

Review: Margaret Richard's Getting Better

NOTE: This is the first reveiw I've attempted. If there is anything I need to add or change, please let me know. I'll submit it later once I figure out how to use the online form and get some feedback.
--------------------------------------

This 60-minute tape is designed for people who are unable to stand due to an injury or operation. Margaret did this tape to maintain muscle tone after foot surgery, so she does the workout in a cast shoe. The workout can be done as one 60-minute total body workout, or two 30-minute workouts (upper body and abs, lower body). The equipment required includes light dumbbells, mat, towel, ankle or thigh weights, and chair, bench, or tall box that you can sit on, kneel over, or prop your feet on.

I initially bought this workout because I’m a klutz and figured it might come in useful. About a week later, I tripped going down the steps and sprained my foot, so I got to try it out. I would rate the workout as intermediate to advanced, but beginners could do the tape if they use very light or no weights. I really liked this tape and thought it was a very innovative idea. When you injure your arms, you can at least do cardio. But trying to modify tapes to be done seated or lying down can be frustrating, as I’ve discovered in the past. I got a good sweat with this workout and I know I’m going to feel it tomorrow. Even if you are an advanced exerciser, though, don’t pick up your heaviest dumbbells. She does a lot of reps with lots of variations, so you will fatigue even with lighter weights. I used 3 – 8 lb. dumbbells plus 5# and 8# ankle weights.

The workout is structured as follows:

Seated Warmup 3.5 minutes

Seated Upper Body Toning: 16.5 minutes total
1. Pectorals: pec flyes, a very long set with lots of variations, I used 5# dumbbells (TOUGH), 3 minutes
2. Triceps: lying French presses, another long set with many variations, I used 5# dumbbells to start and had to drop to 4#, 3.5 minutes total
3. Biceps: dumbbells curls and curl variations, another long set, I used 8# dumbbells, 4 minutes total
4. Delts: delt flyes and variations, overhead press; I used 4# and had to drop to 3# due to muscle failure, 3 minutes total
5. Back: upright rows, rhomboid pinches, and bent-over flyes, I used 8#, then dropped to 6# and finally 4# on the flyes, 3 minutes total

Abdominals: 4 minutes total, done with feet resting on the box, got a nice burn on these!

Final Stretch for Workout #1 or Warmup for Workout #2: 3.5 minutes

(Total of Upper Body Workout: 27.5 minutes)

Lying and Kneeling Lower Body Toning: 26 minutes total
1. Outer Thigh: leg lift variations, long set, 7 minutes total; I used 8# ankle weights, but Margaret uses thigh weights. This is really a tough set if you go heavy!
2. Inner Thigh: interesting variations of floorwork I’d never seen before, 3.5 minutes total, I used 8# ankle weights again.
3. Hamstrings & Glutes: done while kneeling over box, VERY tough; I started with 8# and had to drop to my 5# ankle weights to maintain good form. Margaret does the right hamstrings first, then the glutes, then the left hamstrings. Total on Hamstrings was 3.5 minutes, total on glutes was 7 minutes. This will leave you whimpering for mercy if you go heavy.
4. Quads: lying quad leg lifts, I used a 5# ankle weight but could have gone heavier but was too lazy to change ankle weights again, 5 minutes total

Final Stretch: 3 minutes

(Total of Lower Body Workout: 32.5 minutes)

Total time for both workouts: 56.5 minutes

The only real complaint I have about the workout is that she didn’t stretch after working every muscle group, so I stopped the tape and did my own stretches or supplemented the ones she did. Other than that, the workout is quite good. I know I will be adding the floorwork segments to other workouts even after I get better. The floorwork is as difficult as the floorwork in the Firm Classic series, but much longer and she does some interesting and tough variations. I also felt that the final stretch, which was done seated, focused more on the upper rather than the lower body which had just been worked, so I added my own stretches at the end.

I really liked this workout. Margaret’s tapes aren’t cheap (about $30 new from her website), but I know I will get my money’s worth with this tape. Overall, I’d give the tape an A. If you are klutz like me, this is a must-have for your video collection.

Instructor Comments: Margaret Richard is very personable, somewhat chatty, but not annoyingly so. She gave good form pointers throughout the workout and she has great muscle tone for her age. I found her quite motivating to work out with.

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 11:42 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Thanks Wendy.

I love the idea of a total body workout without standing up. We all hit a circumstance once in a while when that seems to be the way to go.

Sometimes its just more inviting.

I've always liked Margaret's floor work.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 11:50 AM  
Judy SP

Yes, Wendy, thanks! I've been told I have to keep away from standing leg work for a while and this tape might be very useful for me right now.

I thought your review was really good! I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer:

I remember Margaret Richard from her TV show way back when but I've never bought her tapes. What's the music like and how is the tape quality?

TIA,
Old 02-08-02, 12:24 PM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

The tape quality is excellent, very professionally done. The music is light jazz, it didn't really stand out, but it didn't detract from the workout either. I have her Sculpture series and the music is similar. The set is is nice, with a pretty blue carpet and plants. The set reminds me of a sunny conservatory. I have never seen her show, so I don't know if the set is the same as what she uses for it or not. I'd compare the tape and audio quality to what the Firm Classics were like, without the statues and murals and clutter.

-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
Old 02-08-02, 01:39 PM  
Judy SP

Thanks, Wendy!
Old 02-09-02, 02:58 AM  
Punkin

I hope you add it to the new review page!

Many of us like Margaret but won't fork over $30 for a tape we know little about. All you have to do is copy & paste it to the new review submission form. I hope you do, there is little in Margaret's catagory and at her own website you don't get as good of a description. Thanks for filling us in! I want it now!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-02, 10:33 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I have Margaret's Fit Over 50

I recently bought some senior videos for my uncle, and Margaret Richards "Fitness Over 50" was far and away the best one. Its very intelligently instructed, easy to follow, and results oriented, with no gimmicks.

It would be good for anyone who is new to fitness. And please note, its sells for under $15 through collagevideo.com

FYI, Margaret makes all her videos here in Buffalo, NY, at our public television station - WNED. The artwork in the background of many in the videos is done by a local Western NY artist.

just sayin...

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-02, 11:36 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

I posted the review!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some more reviews on Margaret's tapes. I got lucky on Ebay lately and was able to pick up several at good prices. I noticed that Sculpture Lower Body was not reviewed, so that will be the next one I'll do. But I'll definitely vouch for the weight and floorwork in Getting Better. My buns and shoulders are feeling quite toasted today.

-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
Old 02-09-02, 11:38 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: I have Margaret's Fit Over 50

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane C

FYI, Margaret makes all her videos here in Buffalo, NY, at our public television station - WNED. The artwork in the background of many in the videos is done by a local Western NY artist.

just sayin...
Simply out of professional curiosity: what's the artist's name?
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-02, 02:30 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I am looking for a good floor tape does anyone know what Margaret Richards website is?

Thanks,

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thigh weights