Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-20, 01:33 PM  
happyladi

Suggestions for Essentrics

It’s been so long since I’ve posted here. I’ve made a great change this year, lost 103 pounds (have 17 to go) got off all my medications I took for long-endured illnesses, and went from having to use a walker to walking 5 miles a day without one. I’m pleased with the gains I’ve made strength wise and endurance, but I’m still very stiff. Don’t hurt, have just lost my flexibility. Getting up off the floor is hilarious...I look like a giraffe trying to get up. Anyway, I’ve started a 14-day trial for Essentrics streaming service, and did my first 30-minute workout last nite. (Something about connective tissues). There’s SO MUCH available! Do you have any suggestions where I should start? How to progress? All suggestions are surely appreciated.
happyladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 02:03 PM  
fanofladyvols

CONGRATULATIONS!! What an inspiration you are!! Please keep posting!!

Now, I'm not an instructor but will share what helps me.

Go to the store and explore the episode description lists for each season. You could select any season you wish because they each have varying levels within a season. I enjoy Season 11 and season 8 the most as far as pace. The episodes with asterisks in each season have been starting points for me within each season.

I also enjoy the other essentrics DVDs that aren't classical stretch with pain relief in the titles.

One note: sometimes the episode titles don't seem descriptive to the actual workout. The philosophy (in a nutshell) as near as I can distill is that while it may have a focus on a body area for some length of the workout, they are meant to be all over body workouts because of the interconnected nature of our bodies. So try not to be frustrated when you're working stretching your fingers for a workout that is titled "hip flexibility. "

Again, I'm sure an essentrics teacher can explain this better than I did but hopefully you get the idea. I'm sure they'll chime in with other suggestions for trying out the streaming site.

Have fun exploring!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 02:21 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Yes, first and foremost, congratulations! Those are wonderful accomplishments!

I love the streaming service because there is so much content, but agreed, it can be overwhelming. I don't know if you explored the full site yet, but the workouts are grouped into many categories. Down near the bottom, there is a grouping by intensity (beginner, intermediate, etc) but one instructor says this is really the pace, not the intensity. That might be a way to start. And also try mixing up the instructors. They're all good and you'll pick up little hints and pointers from each of them. It's fun to have an "aha" moment once in a while.

I tend to jump all over, picking out a workout that might have more focus on one area than another, but as fanofladyvols said, most of them are full body workouts. If a "strength" one seems too intense, you can just back off and do the moves a little more relaxed.

Just remembered: the streaming site also has short tutorials somewhere. Also down near the bottom, I think

Have fun!
Old 12-01-20, 02:31 PM  
BunnyHop

I totally agree with others that the title descriptions quite frequently don't seem to match the content of the videos.

They are all full body workouts, so in theory any one will do.

I like the way they label things All Standing, etc. Made it easier to find a workout as I was coping with limitations.

Season Eight is my overall favorite. I've done the whole season start to finish many times. (one episode a day, in sequence).

On the other hand, I do like the way the newer episodes incorporate her new thoughts and knowledge of why the moves work so well, and modify the techniques. In general, things are the same, but she's learned more and expanded what she understands about why it works so well.

I only have access to dvds, though, so can't really advise you about what to pick in streaming content.

Have fun!

(Oh, and for achy stiffness, I love the MELT Method by Sue Hitzmann. )
Old 12-01-20, 02:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Congratulations!

These would be my recommendations, I prefer the ETV exclusive workouts with the younger instructors. And the live workouts they post occasionally are really good. I haven’t been on ETV for a while, but IIRC there is a series of questions you can answer and it will search out workouts that fit your criteria? That would be a good way to start.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 03:20 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Hi...and congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment.

As far as where to start....ETV has several rotations going including the Fast Track rotation. I'd just jump and get started on one of those.

I'm like Pam in that I prefer the newer instructors and the exclusive workouts on ETV. Season 13 is really nice though.

Best of luck!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 04:19 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyladi View Post
It’s been so long since I’ve posted here. I’ve made a great change this year, lost 103 pounds (have 17 to go) got off all my medications I took for long-endured illnesses, and went from having to use a walker to walking 5 miles a day without one. I’m pleased with the gains I’ve made strength wise and endurance, but I’m still very stiff. Don’t hurt, have just lost my flexibility. Getting up off the floor is hilarious...I look like a giraffe trying to get up. Anyway, I’ve started a 14-day trial for Essentrics streaming service, and did my first 30-minute workout last nite. (Something about connective tissues). There’s SO MUCH available! Do you have any suggestions where I should start? How to progress? All suggestions are surely appreciated.
Wonderful for you!! You must feel so proud!!

I agree with the others. One of the biggest advantages of the ETV is that they give you so many options to search for workouts; by length, by intensity, by area of work, by instructor, etc etc. This can be so helpful. Also, you can save these to your "my list" or "my workouts" something like that which I do when I really like it. And like Jackie said they have some "challenges" that you can follow based on intensity as well. I think their live workouts are awesome and usually last 30 mins. There variety is like no other. I do think doing Essentrics will help with your flexibility issues. Keep up the good work. You gave yourself the best gift ever, your health and well being. Stay well.
Old 12-01-20, 04:38 PM  
prettyinpink

Have you seen the tutorial videos on this Beginner page? https://essentrics.com/beginners-gui...715.1589083877

I found them helpful back when they were released, even though I had already owned a bunch of the DVDs for a few years.

I’m sure they must be on the streaming site, too, but just wanted to mention since they are helpful.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 01:41 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I like Miranda's age reversing DVDs as well. There are only a couple of workouts on each DVD though.
ageReversingWorkouts
I have also tried her streaming. I only stream for a month at a time as I currently own several of her seasons. You may want to try the free streaming to see how you like the new instructors. I like the detail of the instruction.
Old 12-02-20, 08:57 PM  
DCW

I want to say congratulations!

You are an inspiration!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
essentrics