Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-20, 11:07 AM  
bubbles76

To My Fellow VFers with Large Collections...

I'm talking 500 dvds/VHS or more. How do you get to it all? How do you not get paralysis of analysis? My collection is officially large, and it's a bit overwhelming. I look at the workouts, say, "I liked that workout a lot, it stays." Or I say, "nah, I'm going to get around to pilates/barre/[insert untried modality here] so I'm keeping these dvds." But then sometimes, I get overwhelmed and start randomly getting rid of stuff lol!

So how do you do it? Do you feel guilty/overwhelmed? And how big is your collection, so I know I'm not alone?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 11:47 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Bubbles! I had a large collection which I’d estimate at about 250, but I never counted, lol. I didn’t feel guilty about it, but I frequently felt overwhelmed by it. I also had a number of dvds I either didn’t like or that didn’t work for me any more. I’ve really narrowed my workout choices a lot and no longer jump on bandwagons (did that a lot) or buy workouts that I know will quite possibly cause me pain (did that a lot too). Last year in preparation for a move that never happened, I did a huge purge and it felt great! I was traveling a lot and on the road a lot between home & the city so streaming worked best for me. Since my traveling came to a grinding halt & I’ve been at home lately, I can’t say I’ve missed my dvd collection yet. I did keep a good number of favourites, but haven’t really used many, I’ve just gotten used to streaming.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 11:59 AM  
Calistro

Bubbles,

I can't give you much advice, but I am where you are right now. I am afraid to count my workouts, but I am sure I have more than 1000

I know I do not need them all and will never use them all in my lifetime I get overwhelmed just thinking about what to do. I am just about to do a Marie Kondo on them.

"Keep what sparks joy and get rid of the rest" she says. That philosophy sound simple enough to me to help me pare down as I can think of workouts based on bandwagons that I could easily get rid of.

I bet there are some in your collection that you make excuses to keep but if you could really give yourself permission, you would get rid of in an instant.

I think the only thing that stops me from wanting to throw something out is when I think about how much I have paid for them and the fact that I have barely used it. If that guilt was not there It would be gone.

Sorry not much help but I feel your pain.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:11 PM  
ardnas

I have no doubt my collection is well over 1000 now. I have learned that what I like or feel like doing changes and if I wait long enough, the time will come when I want to do one of my oldies. I also have days where I do parts of workouts, so in one workout I may do pieces of 6 or more workouts. By doing this I can justify keeping many, plus I have the room.
Old 07-26-20, 12:12 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I'm not sure how many I have (pretty sure it's not 500 though). The dvd's are split between two workout areas, the basement which is step, walking, spinning, strength. My spare bedroom is the "yoga room", even though I hardly do yoga anymore. That is where I have my yoga, Essentrics, Pilates, qi gong workouts (and the Roku).

Most of my workouts are seldom used, but I don't feel guilty. With all the clutter in my house, the dvd's are the least of it. They're not taking up space that I need for something else, and as long as I put them back, it doesn't look messy. They're there if I need them. I've been doing lots of Essentrics lately and very little yoga. Just yesterday I was thinking of doing a little more yoga, so I'm glad I have that option.
Old 07-26-20, 12:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, bubbles! I stopped counting around 650 several years ago but haven't stopped buying. Pretty much the only ones I get rid of are accidental duplicates or VHS that I have replaced with DVD. I have let go of a few I absolutely hated. Very few. Once I tried a Trudie Styler and hated it so much I didn't even finish and put it in the trade box. Smthg made me try it some time later and I loved it so now I have a hard time letting go of any. And with fewer DVDs being made now, I'm pretty obsessively keeping everything and buying what I can (hence the accidental duplicates since my collection makes for a spreadsheet too large to print and carry with me! Yes, I'm old school with paper. ). So I'm no help there. And as far as how do I get to them all...well...I have an embarrassingly large number still in shrinkwrap.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:19 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks everyone for your replies lol! Keep em coming. At least I know I'm not the only one. I am slowly going through virgins and dust bunnies. Most don't serve me anymore and I am giving them away. Big Bubble does not mind about the dvds. He says there are worse hobbies and more expensive hobbies to have.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:21 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have a lot! I’ve never actually counted them though, it might scare me too much!

I have my shelves grouped by either instructor, program, or fitness type. My Cathe’s, KCM’s, Firms, and Beachbody sets are top shelf. The others are lower shelves.

But the irony of it all is that I mainly stream now (Cathe Live, Coffeyfit, and Beachbody On Demand). But I won’t get rid of my dvds because I can’t rely on my internet. Sometimes I get stuck in buffering h#$l and have to put in a dvd. I have started collecting Cathe Live Downloads too because of this happening!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:27 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Big Bubble does not mind about the dvds. He says there are worse hobbies and more expensive hobbies to have.
My DH just smiles at my collection of workouts, fitness equipment, & other various therapeutic “torture devices” as he calls them. I love back/neck stretchers and acupressure devices. And he’s always telling me how great I look. He, along with a friend, converted a small attached garage to, as he calls it, my yoga room. It’s my own personal workout space with room for all my fitness paraphernalia.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 12:28 PM  
BunnyHop

My collection is largely an archive. As I've gotten older I simply can't do things I used to, but I cling to the idea that I'll someday regain the strength and stamina the old workouts will require. Also, lots of them are out of production, so if I got rid of them I'd likely never be able to get them again without spending MORE money. For now, everything but my favorite yoga dvds and all my CS, is just a collection.

I've regained a lot of strength in the last six months, but I'm as vulnerable to overuse injuries as ever, so I don't push my luck.

What will I ultimately do with them? I've no idea, but for now they are mine, all mine. Scrooge McDuck has nothing on me.

Tags
acupressure, analysis paralysis, big workout collection, decluttering, dvds versus streaming, large collection, videots unite, vidiocy, workout space