Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-20, 08:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi ladies!!

ROSE, I do remember liking Beauty to the Bone but I'm not good at remembering details. So it's nice reading your reviews and details.

I do wear ankle weights on my ankles for MR's lower body work, including quads. I always forget to wear them on my thighs but so far I've had no problems with wearing them on my ankles.

Twists don't usually bother my back but forward bending does. I have to be very careful with forward bending, keeping my knees bent. I think during the hill walk on Sunday I was leaning forward to help myself get up the steep hill.
That may have done it this time. I'm still in a lot of pain so I've been resting and using heat and advil.

I'd be interested in hearing your rotation with MR if you have one. Do you only use her workouts every other day and do other things in between? Thanks.

Take care everyone!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-20, 11:42 AM  
Rose

Day 3 Beauty to the Bone Section 2 Upper Body

Couldn't post yesterday as I had to turn off the computer due to storms. That's why I'm grateful for DVDs.

Review: This one was really good! It was quite varied. Margaret started with standing triceps using a chair to place one foot, taking pressure off the back. I found it a better for my back. She then used the chair to do tricep dips - I went to the floor to do them, not the chair. Then she sat on the chair and did a few tricep presses overhead. A lot of different moves!

Pecs were pushups on the floor. I do mine on the wall. Biceps were the usual moves. The deltoid work was good. Maybe it would be too easy for other people but not for me. Just a lot of different moves that I was able to do and not feel too overworked. Everything felt safe.

Last was the back, all standing. Okay. Weights in front of body and then pulled back behind. Usually I will add some supermans or other back work on the floor but I had to make dinner so none of that.

Beauty to the Bone Section 2 Upper Body was a winner for me. Margaret goes over the moves beforehand so it would be a great DVD for a beginner. It is a good step up from the Unpluggeds.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-20, 03:46 PM  
Rose

Summer Breeze- My rotation is to do 20-30 minutes of Margaret Richard every day, with maybe one day off depending on how I feel. I did the Unpluggeds 6 days a week. I'll see how this goes- maybe 4 days and 1 day off.

I try and get a walk in but it is sooo hot here. Sometimes I do 15-20 minutes of a Leslie Sansone or Richard Simmons. I'm doing a deep cleaning of my house right now and that is the best workout!

Summer Breeze I'm pretty weak. I have dysautonomia which impacts the nervous system. It's hard for me to do squats or lunges as I get lightheaded. That's why the quad exercises in a lot of Margaret Richard workouts are effective for me. Other than walking, exercise past 25 minutes makes me tired for the rest of the day. Exercise 'bursts' are my best bet. I do pushups against the wall and maybe that's where I'll remain. As long as I'm moving, it's a win.
Old 07-16-20, 06:40 PM  
Rose

Day 4 Beauty to the Bone Section 2 Lower Body

Ugh! Not my favorite. I just wrote that I have a hard time doing squats and that's one of the reasons I like Margaret's workouts. Of course, this one has squats.Lots of squats AND lunges. What?

Except for the abs, this is an all standing workout. Will probably never do again. She wore leg weights throughout. I wore them for outer and inner thighs.

Calves were standing, with some slightly different moves than the normal up and down. Then onto outer thighs. Just a no for me. I didn't feel them really. Semi-ballet moves with the one thigh going to the side of the body if that makes any sense. Then inner thighs were strange. Get into a wide leg position, ballet 2nd position, and then slide the one leg to the other. That was repeated. Another No.

Hamstrings were done with one leg behind the other, mostly bent, kicking backwards. It was okay but I felt it mostly in my calves so I took off the ankle weights. Then she betrayed me by working the glutes by squatting. Legs were together, then she lifted one heel at a time and would do repeated squats. NO!

So I got down on the floor and did bridge lifts.
Then onto more squats and lunges for the quads. She held weights while she squatted. I remained on the floor, set a ball behind my back and did quad leg lifts. Did not do abs as dinner was served.

A different workout for Margaret. If someone is craving standing work with excellent attention to form, this might be the way to go. It wasn't her best. She's a champ at floorwork, that's where she shines.
Old 07-17-20, 08:26 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF!!!

I went with Unplugged 1923 last night. It wasn't a real fave. The deltoid dumbbell work just didn't feel good and of course - the hamstrings, how I dread MR's hamstring work. I think I'll do those exercises standing in front of a chair from now on. I seem to be able to finish it that way plus it feels more effective.

GypsyRose I'm sorry to read you didn't care for Beauty to the Bone workout 2.

Good morning Summer Breeze!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 08:49 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi gals!!

Reading your posts makes me anxious to get back to MR now . My back is still very sore but slloooowwlly feeling a tad better. I'm doing short 1 mile walks each day and hopefully I can do some MR next week.

ROSE, I'm sorry that Beauty to the Bone didn't work for you. MR doesn't often do standing lower body so that must have been a disappointment for you. I prefer standing lower body work usually so I may have to check out that workout again when I'm able. Don't get me wrong, I like MR's floorwork too. It seems like MR is a nice fit for your needs most of the time. Several years back I did MR and walking and really enjoyed that schedule.

PAT, sometimes if there's too much floorwork in a workout I'll do the moves standing too. After awhile too much all fours work starts bothering my wrists. I think it can be effective standing too.

I have a pair of very old 5 lb ankle weights. I'm in the market for a new pair, I'm thinking maybe even 3 lbs at this point. Any suggestions for good quality ankle weights?

Have a great day!
Old 07-17-20, 05:47 PM  
Rose

Day 5 Body Electric Upper Body Classics DVD

Review: This is spandex era Margaret and she is full of energy. It can be used as a split upper/lower body.

The upper body was pretty quick and easy. Pushups, then a short set for triceps on the floor, standing biceps and deltoids. In Margaret's work, there's usually one muscle that gets worked a lot. In Body Electric it was the delts.

When I was done with the upper body portion, I didn't feel worked out enough so I did some back exercises on the floor.

This workout has Margaret explaining each exercise and that creates a bit of a drag. She did the same thing on Beauty to the Bone but she was quicker with the explanations in that one.
Old 07-17-20, 06:12 PM  
Rose

Hello!

Summer Breeze-Beauty to the Bone section 2B seems like it would be a great fit for you as it's all done standing. I don't know where to get a good set of ankle weights. I got mine on ebay a long time ago. Your back still seems to be tender. I'm ordering a book called 'Trigger Point Therapy Workbook' and it should get here this weekend. I'll let you know how it is in case there is something that may help your back.

Pat Ah, another lover of Margaret's hamstring workouts! : That is such a great all around workout for the body but I can't do it without injury. You like to do the hamstring work standing? For me, I feel it in my hip flexor. Instead, I use a shower bench, put some foam on top, place a yoga mat beneath me and do the hamstring work that way. This saves my wrists and shoulders which gets overworked if I copy Margaret. Do you have other modifications that you do consistently with her work?
Old 07-18-20, 08:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi gals!!

I just did flexibility segment from 10 MS Pilates on the Ball yesterday. I had read some older threads saying it helps with back pain.

I'm thinking maybe I can try some upper body segments from MR. I don't want to push things too soon though.

ROSE, I would be interested if you find anything helpful in the Trigger Point Therapy book. Thanks. Is Body Electric on the Classics dvd? I have that dvd but I think I've only done Forty & Fabulous which I did enjoy. That's interesting how you use the shower bench and yoga mat for the hamstring work. I'm not quite picturing it but if it helps with wrist and shoulder issues that's great then.

Do you use 3 lbs or 5 lbs ankle weights? Just curious.

Have a great day!
Old 07-20-20, 05:59 PM  
Rose

Day 6 Body Electric DVD Lower Body

I didn't work out 2 days ago or today as I've been doing a lot of heavy house cleaning. I worked out yesterday to Body Electric. It's an enjoyable DVD The spandex era doesn't bother me and it had Pop songs -though I'm not familiar with them. Margaret is in fine form, giving great pointers.

Outer & Inner thighs were worked well! On the inner thighs, she did the work on the back with the legs going out to the side and bringing them in. It felt never ending. Then onto hamstring work on all fours....I used my shower bench as to prop up my torso. It went on sooo long. At least that's how it felt. A shorter glute segment interspersed between the hamstrings and then quads were standing.

This is a fun DVD that can be done in splits. Heavier on the lower body than upper. The one negative is that she goes over each move. If she didn't do that, it would have a better flow.

Tags
margaret richard rotation