Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-20, 06:35 PM  
Leonana

I never watched it, because I knew I couldn't handle the violence. However, I am fascinated by critiques of shows I don't watch, lol. These two by Lindsay Ellis were good, I thought. From watching her reviews, it seems like most series and movies end up being misogynistic, and turning the main female character into an illogical, raving lunatic.

https://youtu.be/hys_m3BPTS8

https://youtu.be/BGr0NRx3TKU
Old 02-03-20, 09:11 PM  
Mickey12

My husband and I absolutely loved the show. We were totally engrossed in it, loved it all, even the last season. You asked if anything good ever happens. The answer is not really. You asked if there is any humor in it. The humor is there occasionally, but it’s subtle and the darkness and violence far, far outweigh it. It’s extremely violent, so much that I could not watch it right before bed or I had trouble sleeping. Despite this, the characters were so compelling and the story line so interesting it didn’t matter that it was so violent and dark. It was shocking at times. The acting was excellent, characters that were evil were somehow likeable. Peter Dinklage was my favorite character. It’s really complex and watching the episodes multiple times helped in digesting all the nuances.

It’s probably not for you, but it really is an excellent show.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 02:04 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I watched it all and had a lot of fun doing so. Yup it was violent but it was also kind of campy to me. Several of the main characters were acted completely over the top but there were some very fine actors in it. Charles Dance (who played Tywin Lannister) was so great to watch. And yes the final season was really rushed (was originally supposed to be an additional season) and suffered greatly as a result.

That said, if it's not your thing don't waste your time watching it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:46 AM  
Exercise Diva

LOVED Game of Thrones but agree that it is not for everyone.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 09:52 AM  
leigh1673

It's certainly not for everybody.

That said, I watched the first episode - the pilot - many years ago, shrugged and said "eh it's ok" and didn't return.... until years later, I watched it again with my husband. He liked it, so we continued on. I ended up falling in love with it and it's now one of my favorite shows of all time.

So sometimes you have to be in the right "mood" or something for a fondness to kick in.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 10:17 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

A co-worker got me into the books. Like a lot of people, our summary of the entire series was, "Everybody dies!" Not utterly true, but a wrap-up of the theme of the books. The TV series didn't change that theme. It was a violent world and animals weren't exempted.

I loved the TV series although it wasn't always easy to watch. And I would argue there were some comedic moments, usually when Peter Drinklage's character was commenting on what was going on around him. Just one of the reasons I loved his character. He would make me laugh out loud sometimes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 11:34 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
A co-worker got me into the books. Like a lot of people, our summary of the entire series was, "Everybody dies!" Not utterly true, but a wrap-up of the theme of the books. The TV series didn't change that theme. It was a violent world and animals weren't exempted.
I read the books through #3 before the tv series launched and had to stop because of the unrelenting violence, especially toward women and animals, despite GRRM's amazing storytelling abilities. When the show came out my first thought was, "Nope, don't need to actually see all that stuff!"

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 12:35 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I started watching with Season 2 but I got too lost so stopped. I'm just going to start over and watch it on streaming one of these days.

I am all over anything with dragons!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 01:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and helpful replies!

We watched a few more episodes. Only one horse got slaughtered. (rolleyes)

There are some older shows that I LOVE that are very dark and violent. Millennium (1996-1999) starring the wonderful Lance Henricksen is one. It gave us nightmares, but I'd watch it again tomorrow. Rome (2005-2007) is another one, actually rather similar to GoT. Plenty of sex, violence and misery. I'd watch that again, too. And, Hannibal (2013-2015) with Mads Mikkelsen. Wow, I loved that show!

I'm not sure why GoT is not ringing my bell.

ETA: LOL, I just realized that Milennium and Hannibal are pretty much the same thing. They are both about an FBI profiler who has a psychic ability to get into the minds of a killer. I never thought of the similarity before. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 02:26 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
ETA: LOL, I just realized that Milennium and Hannibal are pretty much the same thing. They are both about an FBI profiler who has a psychic ability to get into the minds of a killer. I never thought of the similarity before. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...."
I loved Hannibal! Now I have to check out Milennium....
SpiritYogi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite tv shows, game of thrones, off topic