Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-18, 10:19 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

How often do you do step workouts?

I did a step workout the other day and realized that I rarely do step workouts anymore. Some of them bother my knees. I used to do step fairly regularly.

When I was a new VFer I tried some of Cathe's step workouts and had the worst time following them. And, that is back when she actually used to cue. It doesn't help that I have mild dyslexia.

My favorite step video is Kathy Smith's Better Bun s & Thighs. She cues well, the pace is reasonable and it seems like just the right length. I should pull that one off the shelf again. I also like Tim Culwell. I like The FIRM Cardio Step Mix although the cueing is hit-or-miss.

How often do you do step workouts? And how much has that changed over the years?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:00 AM  
laurajhawk

Every seven years, I try one to verify that I still hate them with the fire of a thousand suns. This behavior has held steady for about 21 years (before that I'd never done one).

I did one last year, so I'm clear for a while.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:06 AM  
kat999

Most workouts that use steps in an aerobic way have dancey moves that are needlessly complex. I prefer to use a step as a weight tool--like the tall box in various FIRM workouts (either to sit on for seated upper body or doing step ups for lower body) or using a traditional aerobic step for Jari Love's lying chest, pecs, and triceps work. I also have a video I don't mind that came with my aerobic step that's actually mostly Pilates based.

A million years ago, I took a class branded as step aerobics class in college, but it was taught by a professional ballet dancer, and he turned it into more of a barre/ballet/Pilates class. Much better. Frenetic step aerobics with complicated moves and dangerous step up/down that get boring once you master the combination are just dreadful. Steps can be great tools for strength and balance, and that's how I prefer them to be used.
Old 08-14-18, 11:09 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Every seven years, I try one to verify that I still hate them with the fire of a thousand suns. This behavior has held steady for about 21 years (before that I'd never done one).

I did one last year, so I'm clear for a while.
Ha! That's funny, Laura!

I used to do step workouts all the time. Loved 'em! But I have to admit I haven't done one in quite a while. I guess I feel like I can get the cardio with just floor aerobics without dragging out the step.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:21 AM  
desderata

At least once a week. I like Cathe’s Low Impact Challenge, some of her really old ones, KCM Stepboxing, Kathy Smith’s Power Step, Gin Miller’s Intense Moves, Firm’s Cardio Step Mix. I love step for cardio. I have to lower it to 6” now and avoid twisty, torquey movements to keep my knees happy, but I still love to step.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:21 AM  
bubbles76

Unless I'm in the middle of a specific rotation, I do step aerobics once a week. I would go for twice, but my knees can't take it. It's my favorite form of cardio
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:32 AM  
noodles

Lol Laura that's hilarious! I hold the same hatred for step that you do unless it's purely athletic with absolutely NO dancey coordinated moves whatsoever which would basically be a workout using a step 😄
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:51 AM  
sbh

I use to teach step classes. After I quit teaching, I did many step dvds. I had to give it up for many years because my low back just could not handle it anymore. I recently started doing one step workout each week and so far my back is ok. I like to do easy step workouts and add in my own variations.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 12:07 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I recently got back into doing them and re-discovered the reason I stopped in the first place. My plantar fasciitis flairs up if I do it too much So now it's once a week.

I think I started doing step again because I'm sick of all of the HIIT workouts. What happened to just good aerobics?? I don't want to do jumping jacks & burpees all of the time.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 01:54 PM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Unless I'm in the middle of a specific rotation, I do step aerobics once a week. I would go for twice, but my knees can't take it. It's my favorite form of cardio
This.

I *adore* step aerobics for cardio; fun, usually good music, engaging, not just drills. But it is once a week for me these days. I love Seasun, Cathe, Amy Bento, Christi, Rob Glick. Doing an old step workout I have done so many times is like seeing an old friend again.

Tags
step aerobics, step without a step