Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-18, 07:13 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Intermediate level is JUST what I need right now, and his cueing looks great in the step workout. Tempting.....
Old 09-25-18, 06:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’m tempted to buy Sizzle and Chisel from Mary strictly for the Chisel premix. Not interested in step anymore. I need to watch the clips again to get a better idea of what that premix looks like.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 01:30 PM  
Evie292

ok - I did most of the step dvd this morning. He's really good at cueing - and it make me think of Christi! :-) There's a bit of a hitch in the filming of the second combo and I was like wow! how'd we get here? Overall, though, this is a pretty interesting step dvd from somebody who just loves Christi's work. The music is upbeat with some familiar riffs here and there. I couldn't finish it today because I just couldn't fit anymore new step sequences into my head - I did about 45 minutes, which took me through the 4th combo, I think.
Evie292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 07:46 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I did all of the step portion of the workout and the stretch. There's a core segment that follows that I didn't do as that brings the workout to 113 minutes and I didn't have the time today. There's a nice stretch which he does before the core section. There are four combos, interspersed with several "blasts" (which weren't really blasts in intensity, just single movements that actually were a mental rest from the complexity of the rest of the routine), and the final section is the whole thing put together. So Evie, if you did four combos, then you did it all and missed only the wrap up at the end.

I agree with Evie that the cuing is good and he uses many familiar moves in new and creative ways. I'm glad Evie mentioned the glitch as I noticed it too and was hoping it wasn't my player. It seems one chapter may have been left out, as I also said "huh" when it skipped from one place to another. I don't think a lot is missing (I think one of the "blasts" and one piece of the combo), but enough that it took me a minute to pick up the new move and incorporate it into the combo. There are a couple of premixes with shorter options.

The good:

Steven's cuing is very, very good. It's timely, not "on the fly" as seems to be the case with a number of other instructors, and he repeats the movements and combos just enough that you can get what he's doing without getting bored. That's an art, IMHO.

It's not a space hog, considering it's a step workout. I'm temporarily working out in a smaller area, and don't have as much room as I usually do. I needed the space for the step and a couple of feet around it and I could it without a problem.

The music is familiar---some from CIA workouts, or Cathe, or Kelly. It's instrumental versions, so no need for fake lyrics. He also used one of my Prince favorites--When Doves Cry. So I was fine with it.

Except for one relatively short portion, the movements matched the beat of the music. As we all know, this is becoming a rarity.

It's creative, but he builds on an easier combo for the warm up and first part of combo 1. The first combo was simple enough that I was concerned it would be TOO simple (and potentially boring) but that wasn't the case as the workout progressed. I like creative choreography, and like Evie I'm a big fan of Christi Taylor's step. It's not frantically fast choreography either, which although I also love her step, Amy Bento's step can be. For me, it was doable.

I got a good workout despite not getting 100% of the choreography. That's important to me. I don't want to waste my workout time learning combos that makes me have to stop and start over and over again. It's possible to do this workout without a step.

There was no whooping, hollering, yipping, etc. or false enthusiasm. Steven has an engaging personality without being over the top. It's evident that he enjoys what he does.

The time passed quickly, partly I'm sure because I was focusing on learning the workout, but mostly because I was having fun!

The bad:

Really, the glitch in the DVD is the only issue, and it's pretty minor.

So all in all, Stepping Alive gets two paws up from me.

If you like step, or even if you don't but like choreographed workouts, this one is a good choice. I hope Steven releases more workouts on DVD! I used an 8" step and it wasn't overwhelming for me. I usually use 6".

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 09-28-18 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add one point
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 07:41 PM  
acey

I just did the step workout and I agree heartily with the previous reviews. I too had the glitch in the second combo - suddenly the music and his voice are a couple of seconds off base with each other. Glad it wasn't my DVD player!

I had a hard time with the last combo. I really don't like doing turns, switch steps and swivels ON the step. But overall, great cuing, personality and steady-state cardio. I could have done with a few less "filler" steps of knee-ups and repeaters, but that's a minor quibble.

Nice to see fresh faces in step choreography.
Old 10-07-18, 11:41 AM  
bergame
VF Supporter

Received this email from Steven SanSoucie today and I feel sad that he is going to incur this added cost on his first production, especially when I found his cueing and choreography to be so good in Step Alive. I am going to ask him to let me know the cost of the replacement so I can reimburse him; I would love to see more step workouts from him and don稚 want him to come off his first project with a financial setback.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Hi Anne

Happy Sunday!

I wanted to send you a note to thank you for your recent order of Stepping Alive and Sizzle & Chisel. I so appreciate your support! Teaching is a passion of mine and making these videos has been a dream come true for me. I've been teaching group classes for a long time, but this was my first time in front of a camera.

I did recently become aware that there's a small hiccup in the final editing of the Stepping Alive video. I was very surprised when I heard about it. In combination #2, there is an edit that didn't make it correctly before it went to duplication. I'll be honest, it's very embarrassing as I take pride in my teaching, cueing, work, etc.

The good news is my production team is working on fixing it and I'm having new DVD's published as a replacement.

I wanted to send a note to apologize for the glitch and to let you know I'll be sending you a revised copy soon.

I am thrilled by the support I've received, especially since I'm the "new guy". There are so many options for workout videos, so I truly feel blessed by the support. I'm also thrilled that there are Steppers out there who are still enjoying the benefits of step aerobics. Step is one of my favorites and I'm hoping to make more videos in the future! The name "Stepping Alive" is my desire to keep Step Alive LOL.

Again - please accept my apologies. Once the replacement is ready, I'll send you an email to let you know it's on it's way. I hope this glitch doesn't reflect too badly on me. Once you receive the new video I welcome your honest feedback.

Thanks again - and have a great Columbus Day weekend.

--

www.stevensansoucie.com

https://www.writeacustomerreview.com...Soucie_Fitness
bergame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-18, 12:14 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I got the email too. I really enjoyed his step workout the first time and would keep doing it despite the glitch, but I'm happy that he is replacing it.

That's a great idea about reimbursing him for the cost of the replacement. I would hate to think this would deter him from making more workouts. Even the "big guns" like Cathe have experienced this kind of issue on occasion.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 11-04-18, 12:15 PM  
primrosecat

Update:

Has anyone heard anymore from him about the repacement? No one seems to know what I am talking about in my post under Fix.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 12:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Has anyone heard anymore from him about the repacement? No one seems to know what I am talking about in my post under Fix.
I knew what you meant, but I haven't heard any follow up. I was hoping someone would pop into that thread with some news.

Old 11-05-18, 01:25 AM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
No update that I知 aware of, was hoping someone on this forum would know...
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step aerobics, steven sansoucie