Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-17, 09:07 AM  
daisyduke

Better results with the firm or p90x?

If you've done these can you chime in with which one gave you better results? Thanks so much
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 09:15 AM  
Garrie A.

Hi daisyduke,

I haven't done P90X, but have gotten great results with The Firm. Increased strength and definition, muscle gains, and more energy. I also enjoy the mix of cardio and weights, as I am not a cardio junkie.

I've been doing them on and off for five years now (mixing them up with other workouts for the sake of variety). My favorites are the BBH era ones (1986-2000)--especially Firm Strength, Maximum Body Sculpting, and Volume 1. From the post Benson era, my favorite Body Sculpting System (BSS) is a tie between BSS2 and BSS4.

Currently, I'm on a Margaret Richard and Pilates/barre kick, but am trying to throw my beloved Firms in here and there. They will always be my favorite workouts, and the ones I credit for helping me get hooked on home video exercise. If it weren't for the day I found the original six volumes in the clamshells at a yard sale (all for $1), I wouldn't be where I am today!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 10:39 AM  
daisyduke

Thanks for your input! I do love my firms!
Old 05-08-17, 04:52 PM  
daisyduke

Anyone else?
Old 05-08-17, 04:58 PM  
TinaT

I am all about AWT = Aerobic Weight Training. The Firm gives me that. I tried to get into P90X years ago, but it just wasn't for me. I think either will give results. It's all about just doing it. I'm on a Firm, Tracie Long rotation right now and enjoy doing them. If you don't like what you do, you won't do it. Find what motivates you first and then modify it to make it your own. That's what I'm doing.

Good Luck ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 05:45 PM  
MoFirmer

FIRM.... hands down!!!!!! I lost my 80+# years ago doing The FIRM. Then fast forward.... cancer hit. I worked out with The FIRM throughout. Then got to be in the test group for FIRM Express and lost 20+ in a month and gained more definition than I had ever had!

Now I do BEMAX/The FIRM/Emily's FLEX Live and still see gains!
Old 05-08-17, 05:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I can only speak about the Firm, which I started with and still love. (I'm doing a limited rotation with vols 1 and 2 right now.) Always get results and like Garrie, I'm no cardio lover so this ensure some cardio for me.
Many love and have raved about results using P90X but Tony Horton and I?... Let's just say we don't get along.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 06:06 PM  
TinaT

Gina ~ I think it was the same reason for me, ... just didn't click with his personality. With the FIRM you get a variety of personalities, so you're limited to the exposure of any of them for long term use. Other than Tracie since I have all of her stuff from TLF.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:17 PM  
ncl

I started working out with the Firm and did them almost exclusively for years. I made it through about 6 weeks of P90x.

They are very different. Do you have them both?

What kind of results are you looking for?

My thoughts on Firm. Good all around training, I did lose weight in the beginning, and had good muscle definition, especially in hamstrings and arms and abs. I was not overweight when I did these, however, so didn't have a lot of weight to lose. I did add a bit of isolated quad work for myself and if I did Firm now, I'd add in more back work for balance as well. I love the feeling of all the muscles being worked and tingly after a Firm workout. I did not do the newer Firms though. I quit, I think, when Anna Benson wasn't a part of it anymore so I can't speak to the newer workouts. The Firm is a nice balance of strength and cardio which is nice. I mainly stopped doing these after years and years because I felt my body was too adapted to the workouts and I wasn't continuing to make gains but this took more than a decade. Then I changed to doing mostly Cathe.

P90X. I got stronger, period. I was able to maintain big girl pushups for the first time. I did not lose weight, and I felt like the cardio work in this was lacking and not very fun. I also felt the legs workout was the greatest and not the most balanced workout. I think I subbed in some Cathe lower body during my rotation. I feel the upper body and abs workouts were challenging and effective. I didn't finish 90 days (and I did years of the Firm) and I got a bit bored, so I can't speak to doing the whole 90 days. I am sure you would be super strong tif you did the full 90 days. I really felt like P90x is mostly focused on strength. I had a hard time doing 90 minutes of yoga after all that strength work (muscles were a bit fried).
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

The Firm without question. I did P90X and ended up gaining weight as I was always so hungry and tired from these workouts. The dread factor also got to me with me. I only watched the clock...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the firm success stories