Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-17, 10:20 PM  
zippity

I saw and felt real results from P90X, STS, and the Ultimate Yogi, mostly because I stuck with each program and was consistent with the workouts.

Five months ago, I added Pure Barre classes to my mish mash of hot pilates and Bikram yoga, and have seen physical change everywhere, but most markedly in the hips, thighs, seat, and abdomen. Without changes in diet, I have gone down two jeans sizes. Sorry I mentioned the 'd' word, but only to emphasize that the changes came from the workouts.
Old 02-10-17, 12:16 AM  
lithium

I don't post often but felt I'd chime in about my experience.

I've been a home-exerciser for, gosh, 20+ years. Since joining VF, I've jumped on various program wagons over the years. Once the rotation was over, I seldom visited that program again. I followed Jessica Smith the longest because her Youtube and DVD challenges are ever-changing.

I have always been in relatively good shape my whole life - my heaviest was probably after the first semester in college. Then came the graduate school and various jobs. My weight probably fluctuated +/- 5lb depending on how well I kept the exercise and food intake. I was a size 4-6 for most of my adult life.

Then last year DH's benefit started to include free gym membership and there's an LA Fitness within 1-mile of home!!! I was like a kid in candy store for the first couple of months, going to different classes everyday (sometimes twice a day). After a few months I settled on

Mon: Step Sculpt (the instructor left recently, so at home sculpt with Jessica, KCM etc.)
Tue: Zumba
Wed: at home yoga (couldn't find a class I like)
Thu: Body Works Plus Abs
Fri: Zumba
Sat: Zumba
Sun: Yoga

Because of the different styles/instructors I was never bored. Fast forward a year later, I've made new friends at the gym, am looking forward to the classes and enjoying every minute of them. Since we're talking about results, I'm in the best shape of my life. My strength, endurance and flexibility all improved. Yes I'm also a size 2 now but I feel as long as I'm healthy and strong, I will be happy no matter what size I am. Perhaps the biggest compliment I got was last week, a relative stranger (she was not one of the regulars at any of my classes) approached me and said she wished that I could be an instructor. Every time she saw me, I seemed so friendly, so happy and so pretty, which made her happy too. After I got over the shock/amazement and thanked her kind words, I felt I could practically flap my arms and fly away.

Ok, climbing down from my cloud 9, I want to say that it doesn't matter what the program is. As long as you find something you enjoy, it'll make you a happier person. And that happiness will shine through - isn't that the best result we can ever hope?
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 04:18 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

There were two times in my life where I felt that I got results quickly (fat loss and improved muscle strength): when I first discovered the FIRM way-back-when and did mainly the Classics; and back in 2005 maybe when Cathe had a "Bootcamp" rotation which was basically doing two of her workouts each day (generally a cardio and a strength workout). Though I loved my "results", I got burned out both times.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 07:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Nuggie's Auntie ~ just reading your post makes me want to give barre another chance .... ( for like the 10th time), It also tells me that it takes so much more consistency than I give it.
Yes, as we all know, consistency is key! I think you can have great success with any well-rounded program, as long as you are consistent. And that can be hard when there are so many different fitness options. All the shiny baubles can be very distracting!

I suppose taking a step back and assessing why you have difficulty committing to barre (or anything else) is helpful. What is it that causes you to bounce around from one method to the next? Is it boredom? Are the workouts too long? Too short? Too much equipment? Are you watching too many infomercials for other things? Too much time surfing on VF?!? Or maybe the workout just doesn't make you feel good. I don't mean during, but after. Or both?

Barre really scratched where it itched for me. I loved the core focus, I loved that I could do it barefoot, that I didn't have to spend a lot of time getting dressed and set up, not a lot of equipment, etc. That was a stumbling block for me with Firm and Cathe workouts, although I do like them very much and enjoy playing with all the toys. But for any everyday thing, it was a bit of a drag.

For me, the Physique57 challenge calendars were so helpful, as I mentioned in my blog post. They don't offer those anymore, except to those who subscribe to their streaming, but you can create something similar on your own. Print out a calendar and fill it in based on whatever workouts you have. If you know you need variety, build that into your program. Do barre (or whatever else you decide to stick to) most of the time, then slot in something else once or twice a week for fun.) Just committing to one month is what got me hooked. You could even start with two weeks. Make a sticker chart! Have a reward at the end... a new workout garment or some fun activity you've been wanting to do.

I think expecting to fall in love with anything on the first try is unrealistic. I didn't immediately love barre, wine or sushi, but when I gave myself time to try different workouts, wines or maki combos, I learned to love them and now they're some of my favorite things! I also didn't fall immediately for my husband, but now I him (I mean, I've loved him for a long time, but it wasn't a head-over-heels situation when he first asked me out.) I guess maybe some people have those coups de foudre, but personally, I have to work at things, and the more I do, the more I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Fast forward a year later, I've made new friends at the gym, am looking forward to the classes and enjoying every minute of them. Since we're talking about results, I'm in the best shape of my life. My strength, endurance and flexibility all improved. Yes I'm also a size 2 now but I feel as long as I'm healthy and strong, I will be happy no matter what size I am. Perhaps the biggest compliment I got was last week, a relative stranger (she was not one of the regulars at any of my classes) approached me and said she wished that I could be an instructor. Every time she saw me, I seemed so friendly, so happy and so pretty, which made her happy too. After I got over the shock/amazement and thanked her kind words, I felt I could practically flap my arms and fly away.

Ok, climbing down from my cloud 9, I want to say that it doesn't matter what the program is. As long as you find something you enjoy, it'll make you a happier person. And that happiness will shine through - isn't that the best result we can ever hope?
Lithium, that's so awesome! Love to hear your joy! It sounds like much of what's sparking it for you is the social aspect working out at a gym provides. Exercising at home has so many benefits, but for some, that community aspect of a gym or classes can't be beat.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 08:30 AM  
TinaT

I totally agree about doing what makes you get up and move and be motivated. I also agree about the posts made involving burnout. it's such a crazy balance to be aware of.

I have burned out more times that I can count due to over use of a method.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 09:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
I totally agree about doing what makes you get up and move and be motivated. I also agree about the posts made involving burnout. it's such a crazy balance to be aware of.

I have burned out more times that I can count due to over use of a method.
What do you think it is that made you burnout on other things? Was it too strenuous? Not strenuous enough? Rigid adherence to the method? An unwillingness to tweak it to suit your own needs? Unrealistic expectations? Unrealistic for your lifestyle? (by that I mean too great a time commitment, too expensive, too much equipment, whatever)

Probing these questions might help you understand what your limits are on those points, and why those methods or the way you used them didn't work for you.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 09:43 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Sun: Yoga

Because of the different styles/instructors I was never bored. Fast forward a year later, I've made new friends at the gym, am looking forward to the classes and enjoying every minute of them. Since we're talking about results, I'm in the best shape of my life. My strength, endurance and flexibility all improved. Yes I'm also a size 2 now but I feel as long as I'm healthy and strong, I will be happy no matter what size I am. Perhaps the biggest compliment I got was last week, a relative stranger (she was not one of the regulars at any of my classes) approached me and said she wished that I could be an instructor. Every time she saw me, I seemed so friendly, so happy and so pretty, which made her happy too. After I got over the shock/amazement and thanked her kind words, I felt I could practically flap my arms and fly away.

I couldn't have said this any better! My story is a bit different, but the end result has been the same... new friends, happiness, joy, something to look forward to every day and some excellent new muscles!

I also worked out at home for many, many years... probably 30 years at least. I was always consistent, did mostly Cathe, but other instructors too. I never had a weight problem, but really never had the sort of muscle definition that one would have thought with all the working out I did.

A dear friend of mine, who is a personal trainer, opened her own fitness facility with her husband about 3 years ago. I decided to jump in with both feet. I attend 2 bootcamps each day, do personal strength training with her twice a week, do my own strength training at Planet Fitness twice a week, and run twice a week. It's a heavy schedule, and probably more than I need physically, but mentally it has carried me through some rough times. (I lost my dear husband 2 years ago.) The bootcamps are fun, motivating, and amazingly tough. I look forward to seeing my BC friends every single day. We are all different ages, fitness levels, and sizes, but we all love each other, help each other and cheer each other on. I feel like I have found a new family. I have encouraged most of my close friends to join, and have literally changed the lives of several friends who had never worked out in their whole life. They've lost weight, gotten stronger and made new friends! It gives me such a wonderful feeling of comfort to know that MY joy in working out and my dedication to being fit, has trickled down to my friends as well.

My schedule:

Monday: Bootcamp AM, Bootcamp PM, and Strength Training Upper Body PM
Tuesday: Bootcamp AM and Bootcamp PM
Wednesday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training arms Planet Fitness, and 4 mile run
Thursday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training Legs PM
Friday: Bootcamp AM
Saturday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training AM
Sunday: 4 Mile Run and Cathe DVD

I have to issue a disclaimer here and say that I really have no other life. It would be funny if it weren't true. But it's what I love, and it has gotten me through the last 2 years. And at 60 years old I'm definitely in the best shape of my life!
Old 02-10-17, 10:17 AM  
TinaT

For sure part of this for me was boredom of the same thing over and over. The other part was life. Starting last March was constant care for great grma until she passed in Aug. Mixed in all that was my mom, father in law and husband being hospitalized within weeks of each other. My mom having to give up driving and start using a walker. (she lives with us). Husband in Nov having his gallbladder removed, my daughter having our first grand baby in Dec. Seems like I was needed everywhere, with no time for myself. And now my entire family got hit with the horrid Flu going around, which meant I was up for taking care of them,... until I got it. All of this while being peri-menopausal.

I just want my motivation back! So that some day I can talk about results, regardless of what method I used.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 10:23 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
For sure part of this for me was boredom of the same thing over and over. The other part was life. Starting last March was constant care for great grma until she passed in Aug. Mixed in all that was my mom, father in law and husband being hospitalized within weeks of each other. My mom having to give up driving and start using a walker. (she lives with us). Husband in Nov having his gallbladder removed, my daughter having our first grand baby in Dec. Seems like I was needed everywhere, with no time for myself. And now my entire family got hit with the horrid Flu going around, which meant I was up for taking care of them,... until I got it. All of this while being peri-menopausal.

I just want my motivation back! So that some day I can talk about results, regardless of what method I used.
Tina, I've been there, trust me. I cared for both of my parents through long illnesses until their deaths. I also cared for my husband until his death. Honestly though, working out was what kept me sane during those times.

I can remember when my Dad was at his sickest, we had hospice coming in. What I would do was go for a run while they were here giving him his bath and medications. It was the only time I had to myself, so that's what gave me the most stress relief. My mom was almost the same situation, with having friends spell me for an hour or so every few days so I could do some sort of workout. With my husband, he was in the hospital for quite some time, so my working out took a back seat for a few months. It had to of course, and that was fine. After he died, getting back to it while grieving for him was the best thing I could do. It helped me heal and find my joy again. I can tell you there were some dark days... I can remember crying through many a workout. But life goes on, and for me, my fitness is the basis of my health and happiness.

Good luck to you! You can do this!
Old 02-10-17, 10:30 AM  
deineira

My results are rarely very dramatic, but a few programs that really helped me lean out a bit were the KBKB 8 week bikini challenge, doing ART workouts 3-4x per week and doing a custom rotation with Terri. This is after I had pretty much reached my body's ideal weight and was trying to battle those last 10-15 vanity pounds that I want to lose.

When I was 30-35 pounds heavier than I am now, I lost a lot of weight years ago doing Cathe, and she was my go to instructor for 15 years before I started branching out. I got good results doing her LIS rotation. I got STRONG as heck doing STS, but I definitely also got bigger than I wanted to be. I didn't lose weight but I definitely put on some muscle. I also lost quite a bit of weight doing P90X years ago. Other than these, I've never had one particular rotation that I could point to. At this point, it's mostly about whether I can restrict my diet more, and I don't think I can really do that sustainably without being unhappy. I can peel off a few pounds here and there, but nothing dramatic at this point. That being said, I've been doing the HDM blitz workouts lately, and they are starting to slim down some bits and pieces pretty well...but we'll see how it goes over the long haul.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, results, successful weight loss