Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-16, 07:02 AM  
Sara1000

Your local library might be able to use the empty cases - here they have to buy empty cases as the cases that people check out are always getting damaged. They can just slip the paper cover out and slip the cover from the broken case in. Or even better, you could remove the paper covers before you donate them.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 09:07 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I was in a similar situation when my collection started getting unwieldy due to its size. Given how many people here at VF successfully transitioned to wallets/folders and other storage solutions eliminating cases, I decided to do a trial run, switching a bunch to some wallets and smaller cases, but I didn't fully commit and kept the cases and artwork elsewhere.

And it didn't work at all for me. The reason I prefer fitness videos to paper workouts is that the visuals are important to me. And it turns out the cases factor into that. I hated flipping through a wallet, and missed the artwork and scanning the cases. I even found myself working out less as a result of no longer liking how my fitness DVDs were stored. I suspected this might happen, because I've always had a few DVDs that were in different storage than my regular DVD cases (cardboard sleeves and whatnot) and those always get less use than the other workouts, regardless of how much I like them.

Ultimately for me the best solution to overcrowding was to cull my collection rather than trying to fit more in less space. It was hard, but I have not regretted the decision. Although I worried I might, I haven't missed any of the workouts I got rid of, and continue to enjoy scanning the cases while deciding what to do.
I'm the same way. I tried using a binder but it didn't work for me for the same reason.
Old 10-22-16, 10:39 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have ordered some DVD/cd wallet cases the hold 40 DVDs. I am going to give them a try, putting two or three instructors of similar genres in each. I struggle to keep my DVD cases in any sort of order and then I often can't find what I'm looking for. I'll save cases on an unused high shelf. I might put the cover arts in sleeves in a binder, will see.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 11:04 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i appreciate everyone's suggestions. it's given me a couple of ideas - thanks.

you'd think the DVD industry would change its way of manufacturing cases. the best they could come up with was making those stupid "cutouts" on both sides of the case, rendering them pretty ineffective in storing it safely.

slim cases were offered, which was not bad, but then you have the problem of the old style artwork being slightly bigger than the slim cases.

for that matter, they should have just started making the DVD case like a DiscSox, and having the initial packaging with 1 heavy piece of cardboard to stabilize it for "transit" purposes, on its way to the consumer.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 11:46 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I let go of DVD cases and paper inserts years ago in favor of DVD wallet storage and never looked back.

However, I now prefer to store my DVD's in thin jewel cases and place those cases in black DVD storage boxes purchased from Amazon. The wallets left surface scratches on DVD's, though the scratches never affected how the DVD's played. Once I realized this, researched it on the Internet and saw this was a common complaint with wallets, I switched to the thin case/storage box method.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 01:15 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I am another one who has to see the artwork in order to use my DVDs. I'm glad there are others like me 😉 What I have done that really works for me is buying several multi-DVD cases ( I use 2, 4 and 6 because the spines are the same. Any more, like 8 or 10, and the cover art doesn't fit the same) like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxtek-Standa...rds=6+dvd+case

I store multiple DVDs by the same instructor in one case, and store all the cover art behind one another in the front. With 6 DVDs, the cover art can get a little tight, but it's never been a problem getting it out when I need it, and doesn't damage anything. Someone prolific like Amy Bento, I organize into a case for straight cardio, a case for weight oriented workouts, and another for her boxing and kettlebell workouts, and one for step. Some cases are just genre specific, such as rebounding workouts, or UK dance workouts, instead of being just one instructor or brand.

Then, I store all these multi- DVD cases on these:
https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-6371...ords=Dvd+tower

I have 4 of them. One is for strength/boxing/circuit type workouts and meat and potatoes instructors like Cathe, Kelly, Amy, Michael O., Kimberly Spreen, Tracey Staehle, etc. One is for yoga/ KB/ Core specific (HoCo) and random stuff like jump rope and rebounding workouts. The third is for dance, Barre, flexibility and Pilates . The last I keep by the TV with the DVDs in my current rotation.

This configuration takes up minimal space, as I can literally store the towers behind a door or in a closet if needed, but allows me to keep all my workouts visible and accessible with all the artwork available.

Sets, on the other hand, reside in a cabinet that my TV sits on, with the accompanying paperwork for all of them being stored in a large shoe/boot box in my closet. That way, if I need a rotation calender or something, I know it's somewhere in that box!

Also, every time I've moved, I just pick up the towers with all the DVDs in them and lay them horizontally for transport purposes. Everything stays in place and its pretty easy to move around. I keep single DVD cases for trading purposes in a box on the top shelf of my pantry.
Old 10-22-16, 04:19 PM  
Calistro

[QUOTE=zraipel;2669854]I am another one who has to see the artwork in order to use my DVDs. I'm glad there are others like me �� What I have done that really works for me is buying several multi-DVD cases ( I use 2, 4 and 6 because the spines are the same. Any more, like 8 or 10, and the cover art doesn't fit the same) like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Maxtek-Standa...rds=6+dvd+case

I like these. I may order some over at Amazon uk
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 05:51 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Stephanie, I've bought those multi-cases too! But, mostly for sets that came in a bad cardboard, so I'd just placed them in those multi-cases and made a cover art for them! I've a similar tower too, I love it! It doesn't have wheels though, for the rest of my DVDs I use this:

Mine are DIY and black as well, I've three in the wall of a little room I use to storage my fitness stuff.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd storage, large collection