Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-16, 12:09 PM  
baba

ripping dvds to digital form

So I have 15 years of DVDs I want to rip and digitize and put into my dropbox account. I have a mac. What is the best way to do this? I killed my computer's DVD player so this is really a must. I want to be able to logon to dropbox and just pick a digitized version of my library.

I am borrowing a friend's Mac laptop for a couple of days. Best program to use? Any tips and tricks? I am a bit clueless to all this! Thank you
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 04:24 PM  
Zenara25

I have both a Mac and PC. I'm sorry to tell you that only thing I use my PC for is to rip my DVD's with Freemake Video Converter. It's such a great program Anyone who downloads this: be careful to choose custom install and uncheck all the extra garbage.

For the Mac you could try Handbrake. It doesn't have the features that Freemake has but definitely worth a try. Here's an article all about it.http://www.macworld.com/article/1157...handbrake.html

Also there are external DVD drives you can buy that connect via USB, in case you don't finish in time.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 08:18 PM  
bubbles76

Baba, thanks for bringing this up. I am in your exact situation, except it's only been about 9 years of dvds for me. I want it all -- premixes, chapters, everything! If it's possible. I would like to download to an external hard drive or two. And maybe back up to the cloud.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 08:26 PM  
fatkat555

I'd love to do this, too. Especially since a lot of the material I have is now OOP. I still have some VHS I'd dearly love to convert as well... I still have an old VHS player.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 07:34 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I did this when I had a Mac, and used Handbrake. I have no regrets. I can access them via the Dropbox app on all my mobile devices and use iTunes to make playlists and mixes. Best thing to ever happen to my workouts!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 08:32 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I did this when I had a Mac, and used Handbrake. I have no regrets. I can access them via the Dropbox app on all my mobile devices and use iTunes to make playlists and mixes. Best thing to ever happen to my workouts!
How long did all that take? It seems like it would be a very long process. Seems like a good thing to pay one of my teenagers to do if I knew they were doing it right.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 08:42 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
Joanna, were you able to get them to copy over exactly, premixes and all?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 10:12 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Joanna, were you able to get them to copy over exactly, premixes and all?
I think what she's doing is making the premixes through playlists on iTunes. Is that right, Joanna?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 11:21 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Yes, I brought them into iTunes and use the playlist feature to make mixes and rotation plans.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-16, 02:07 PM  
horsemom2

Try Handbrake
Download the free program for MACs

from handbrake.fr

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, ripping dvds