Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-16, 09:23 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I have embraced downloads over DVDs, but streaming with exercise ADD? I agree with others that there's no way I'd allow that draining of funds

As for my favorite instructors, I can't say I'm unhappy with their output...Sylwia (Tonique), Linda (Barlates), Fusion Fitness/Dream Body, and barre genre which seem to have a steady stream of downloads and/or DVDs.
Old 05-05-16, 10:11 AM  
carres1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I don't like streaming because I hate working out from the small screen of a laptop. We have tried several HDMI cables, but neither worked to hook it up to the tv. I don't like downloads for the same reason. I honestly like to have a physical item that I own, and can use on the big screen of our tv. I guess the only good thing about less dvds being released is that I'm spending less money on them....but I'm just using that money for books anyway
This won't help with the streaming (unless you can download streaming content...) but will with downloads:

Most new-ish DVD players have USB ports. Put the downloaded workouts onto a thumb/flash/USB drive and then plug that into your DVD player. You can then select that drive from the main menu. I agree that working out to a small screen (laptop, tablet, even small TV!) just doesn't work for me. The only time I like, and even prefer, a tablet or laptop is when I am on all fours or something.

I think others have uploaded their downloaded workouts (that seems backwards :-)) to YouTube, creating a private channel, and then access YouTube through their DVD player, smart TV, AppleTV, Google Chrome, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, etc.

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 10:20 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Carrie! Our SONY dvd player from 2012 stopped supporting the you tube app. We did get an Amazon Fire stick so I can get you tube on the tv.
The problem we have with using a USB is that our desktops computer are old and don't have the memory for downloads. My DH uses our laptop for work, so I can't take up space on that for workouts.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 10:39 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'm fine with streaming but only if I can get a good deal on it like I did on MyYogaWorks or YogaDownloads - $19.00 for a full year's subscription. I also got a Barre3 year's subscription at a good rate.

I don't need to own a physical DVD and I don't really think of it as a drain on my funds. I think of it more in terms of a service that's provided to me - like my electric bill. I pay for the service I use, but I don't have anything physical in my hands to show for the money I spent. Naturally I prefer downloads, but I'm OK with streaming.
Old 05-05-16, 10:44 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
You know, it's funny because people always talk about the music issue but I have found that I enjoy doing many youtube workouts that have no music at all without any problem. If music is really that important to someone, it would be totally easy to play your own in the background or something. It just seems like a poor excuse for not providing new content, imho. I mean, plenty of other instructors have done just fine with the fairly generic background music and as long as they provide a "music off" option for those people who would rather play their own than why don't they just do that? With downloads, they could have two versions: one with typical, non licensed workout music and one without any music at all.

I really have a hard time believing these instructors are going to reach as many people and gain as big a following with the streaming model. I'm betting that choreographed workouts (step and dance) will fall away as well since it seems that lends itself better to workouts one is going to sell instead of stream, considering all the work and planning that goes into creating such a workout (maybe I'm wrong and there is a streaming channel with challenging choreography?) Not that I'm interested in something like that because of my two left feet...but I know plenty of other people who enjoy that sort of thing. Besides, there is way too much free content on youtube to justify paying for streaming one instructors workouts in my opinion. If I'm going to stream, it's going to be on youtube for free.
I hear ya. I am one who would love to download no music workouts, so I can play my own. I also get excited when I run across yoga workouts on YouTube with no music, so I can play my own. The only workouts that would suffer from no music are ones where it's choreographed to hit the beat, like dance and step workouts, some kickboxing. But the instructor could tell us the bpm and we could find our own. I haven't tried it yet, but Spotify has a running feature that adjusts the bpm of the songs to your running cadence. I think it goes through the songs you already have and picks ones most similar. I have no idea how they even do that or if it works very well.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 11:08 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I think the video and DVD market used to be sustained by impulse buyers, people who felt they needed to lose some weight for summer and bought a Fonda or Jillian video thinking it might do it for them. Today they can see those videos for free on Youtube, which has probably killed a lot of the retail market much like music sharing took a large bite out of music sales.

I posted an LA news segment recently where Mike Donavanik and Phil Dozois said the DVD market pretty much died, and millennials want a more custom, personalized fitness experience through apps, fitness trackers and classes.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 11:28 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I'm fine with streaming but only if I can get a good deal on it like I did on MyYogaWorks or YogaDownloads - $19.00 for a full year's subscription. I also got a Barre3 year's subscription at a good rate.

I don't need to own a physical DVD and I don't really think of it as a drain on my funds. I think of it more in terms of a service that's provided to me - like my electric bill. I pay for the service I use, but I don't have anything physical in my hands to show for the money I spent. Naturally I prefer downloads, but I'm OK with streaming.
I feel the same way, Dana. I don't mind paying for a site if the price is reasonable and I can cancel at any time if I'm not using it. These days a part of me prefers this because I don't have to worry about storage. And, honestly, there are a lot of DVDs I own that I have only done once or twice, which makes them no less of a 'sound' purchase than a subscription that will expire.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 11:39 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I feel the same way, Dana. I don't mind paying for a site if the price is reasonable and I can cancel at any time if I'm not using it. These days a part of me prefers this because I don't have to worry about storage. And, honestly, there are a lot of DVDs I own that I have only done once or twice, which makes them no less of a 'sound' purchase than a subscription that will expire.

Donna
Totally agree. Something like Les Mills On Demand, where it's about $12 a month and if it's something you'd actually use regularly is totally worth it. Especially since these are classes that if you went to the gym, you'd have to pay per class on top of a gym membership fee (I think that's how it works), seems like a good deal.

Right now I am trying to regain access to workout downloads/lifetime streams I purchased a few years ago. The company was bought or rebranded, and I can't access them anymore. So unfortunately, the smaller the company, the riskier the purchase can be. Paying monthly streaming fees might cost more eventually, but there's less risk that you will be left with technical hassles, emails, and a sour taste in your mouth.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 12:01 PM  
PhyllisG

I can't help but think how expensive it can become if you subscribe to multiple sites.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 12:06 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I can't help but think how expensive it can become if you subscribe to multiple sites.
That is true, Phyllis - I try to limit myself to one paid site at a time and then just use You Tube or my DVDs to fill in the rest.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old thread alert, ripping dvds