Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-16, 12:18 PM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Subscribing to multiple streaming outlets to satisfy my exercise ADD is never going to happen. What a money drain.
Yeah, I'm with you 10000% on this one. I was just talking to an instructor last night about the streaming model, and I shared how I don't think this is really a customer friendly model at all. She said that the music licensing rules have made it very expensive to produce a downloadable workout versus a streaming one. She is one of the instructors who has pretty much moved exclusively to streaming. That explanation made me a bit more sympathetic to her plight, but it still blows and I'm not keen on perpetually paying a monthly fee to have diddly to show for it. I think this dearth in decent content has made me a bit more open minded about moving to paper workouts. I haven't taken the leap yet, but it seems more and more appealing because the workout well is drying up big time.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 02:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Yeah, I'm with you 10000% on this one. I was just talking to an instructor last night about the streaming model, and I shared how I don't think this is really a customer friendly model at all. She said that the music licensing rules have made it very expensive to produce a downloadable workout versus a streaming one. She is one of the instructors who has pretty much moved exclusively to streaming. That explanation made me a bit more sympathetic to her plight, but it still blows and I'm not keen on perpetually paying a monthly fee to have diddly to show for it. I think this dearth in decent content has made me a bit more open minded about moving to paper workouts. I haven't taken the leap yet, but it seems more and more appealing because the workout well is drying up big time.
You know, it's funny because people always talk about the music issue but I have found that I enjoy doing many youtube workouts that have no music at all without any problem. If music is really that important to someone, it would be totally easy to play your own in the background or something. It just seems like a poor excuse for not providing new content, imho. I mean, plenty of other instructors have done just fine with the fairly generic background music and as long as they provide a "music off" option for those people who would rather play their own than why don't they just do that? With downloads, they could have two versions: one with typical, non licensed workout music and one without any music at all.

I really have a hard time believing these instructors are going to reach as many people and gain as big a following with the streaming model. I'm betting that choreographed workouts (step and dance) will fall away as well since it seems that lends itself better to workouts one is going to sell instead of stream, considering all the work and planning that goes into creating such a workout (maybe I'm wrong and there is a streaming channel with challenging choreography?) Not that I'm interested in something like that because of my two left feet...but I know plenty of other people who enjoy that sort of thing. Besides, there is way too much free content on youtube to justify paying for streaming one instructors workouts in my opinion. If I'm going to stream, it's going to be on youtube for free.
Old 05-04-16, 03:20 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I agree, there are not much new content on DVD coming out these days, which is totally sad. But, not only that, there are so many DVDs that aren't been out there for that long and are already OOP. So, the thinking... Yeah no problem, I'll buy this and get that later... Well, that might not happen I know because there are a few DVDs that aren't available anymore, and I really wanted them (Jazzercise Dance Hiit and Figure 8 Fitness comes to mind right away) . I'm not into streaming either, my computer is not the fastest and my Internet connection can be sometimes a nightmare... Plus, I like to rotate between different instructors, systems, or singles workouts, so DVDs are ideal for that. Also, as you mentioned so much free stuff on youtube, and so much variety, that paying for streaming is not calling my name at all. Also, there are some sites that you paid for having a access to their content "forever"... Really?! If you want me to have access to the content forever, why not let me to download it? And be able to access it without the need to use my bad Internet connection, just saying!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 03:36 PM  
Candiceena

ITA with everything that has been said here. I was in the mood to "treat" myself yesterday and so went to Target to peruse the workout section. NOHTING. All that is there is Jillian Michaels & GAIAM yoga stuff. It makes me so sad. I remember when The FIRM workouts used to be sold in stores!! I would often treat myself to a new one, it was really wonderful!

I have no problem w/ digital w/o's ... but I think that we should have the option of downloading them if we want to. I don't want to, personally, because I don't have enough storage space on my laptop so doing workouts on Purple Player platform works great for me. But I know it's not the same for everyone. Definitely wish things would go back to the way they were, sometimes.
Old 05-04-16, 04:07 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Jessica Smith is very prolific! She seems to have something new on her youtube channel almost on a weekly basis and she's doing a new DVD now.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 05:33 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Amy Bento mentioned on the KCM Roadtrip she will be filming in the fall.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 05:43 PM  
sherry7899

I forget to even look in brick and mortar stores for dvds anymore. I'm happy that KCM and Jessica Smith keep releasing dvds. I have so many workouts that I really do not need any more, though. I miss checking out Mary's "coming soon" page. It seems to be a lot emptier than it used to be. I wrote her about a bunch of yoga dvds from the company that releases Tara Lee's dvds -New Shoot pictures -that are on Amazon. She contacted the company for me to see if she can carry them when they are available.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 05:48 PM  
lorajc

I'm very sad with the reduction of DVDs coming out and I don't care for streaming or even downloads as all I have is a small tablet and IIT doesn't work for doing workouts..... Also i didnnt grow uup with computers so I'm not real good wit DLs and the finding them.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 05:56 PM  
sherry7899

I don't like streaming because I hate working out from the small screen of a laptop. We have tried several HDMI cables, but neither worked to hook it up to the tv. I don't like downloads for the same reason. I honestly like to have a physical item that I own, and can use on the big screen of our tv. I guess the only good thing about less dvds being released is that I'm spending less money on them....but I'm just using that money for books anyway

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 05:57 PM  
BunnyHop

I guess I'm lucky that my favorite instructors seem to be creating new dvd content on a fairly consistent basis. (KCM, Jessica Smith and Classical Stretch)

Those three are pretty much enough for me, but I do kind of miss the days when I was mostly excited about our better internet connection because it let me watch new fitness clips without a lot of buffering.

Tags
old thread alert, ripping dvds