Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-16, 08:27 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Where are the new workouts?

It seems like very few new workouts are being created lately. I almost never see anything on Mary's Coming Soon page anymore and when I do it's always something I'm not interested in (barre/yoga). I'm not just talking about DVD's either, as I'm sure someone will chime in that DVD's are on their way out. In addition to no or very few new dvd workouts, I'm not seeing new download workouts taking their place. I'm totally good with downloads in place of physical dvds, as long as it's a workout that I can own and not stream/rent. However, I'm not seeing that transition from dvds to downloads fully taking place. If instructors think that streaming is the only way to go, then I guess my workout collection is complete!

TBH, I haven't seen anything even in streaming form from many of my favorite instructors. Have they all decided to up and retire??? I suppose they are doing different things and no longer creating filmed workouts, but it is unfortunate. It looks like the golden age of professionally filmed fitness workouts is over.
Old 05-04-16, 08:31 AM  
firmaniac

I'm so brand specific to The FIRM ladies, so only notice 'new' when it pertains to Tracie Long (new stuff soon) or BeMAX Fitness (which is up with former FIRM instructors). I also wonder what will happen when my instructors age up and decide to scale back their productions (sigh).

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 08:36 AM  
bubbles76

I know at least for now that I can always rely on KCM or Cathe for my new workout fix. But yea, it seems that the number of instructors making dvds or even downloads has dwindled. Amy Bento did say she would make another step workout, so I'm happy for that. I wish Christi Taylor would make more step. I think it's the lack of great music that is keeping her from doing so.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 08:48 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I know at least for now that I can always rely on KCM or Cathe for my new workout fix. But yea, it seems that the number of instructors making dvds or even downloads has dwindled. Amy Bento did say she would make another step workout, so I'm happy for that. I wish Christi Taylor would make more step. I think it's the lack of great music that is keeping her from doing so.
I've heard a lot of instructors mention that they are thinking or planning to make new workouts but have yet to see anything materialize. Toby M said he was thinking about it but nothing came of it. Susan Chung supposedly was going to film a new kickboxing workout but I haven't heard anything since it was first mentioned. Michelle D. supposedly is working on something (I have higher hopes that this will materialize).

I haven't heard anything from Paul K., Ilaria (her youtube stuff is pretty short and blah), Patrick G., Dasha, Travis Eliot, etc etc. I had contacted Travis last year about filming a sequel to Ultimate Yogi and he responded with an affirmation that something was coming, but then he apparently decided against that and went full on with streaming. I would love to see more Tap Out XT or UFC Fit workout series sequels or something similar. Cathe usually has made an announcement for a new series by this time and we haven't gotten that yet, either. Whatever she filmed last month doesn't sound like it's going to be what we normally see from her (it sounds like it's going to be something using a piece of equipment so it will be sort of a promotional thing?)
Old 05-04-16, 09:06 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmaniac View Post
I'm so brand specific to The FIRM ladies, so only notice 'new' when it pertains to Tracie Long (new stuff soon) or BeMAX Fitness (which is up with former FIRM instructors). I also wonder what will happen when my instructors age up and decide to scale back their productions (sigh).
I had no idea some of the FIRM ladies have teamed up! Wow, they look amazingly fit! I've been concentrating on going to make to my old Firm workouts for the past year, so the only new workouts I'll be buying this year are Tracie Long's. But now I may have to sign up for a BeMax streaming membership...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:13 AM  
muggle

"I've heard a lot of instructors mention that they are thinking or planning to make new workouts but have yet to see anything materialize. Toby M said he was thinking about it but nothing came of it. Susan Chung supposedly was going to film a new kickboxing workout but I haven't heard anything since it was first mentioned. Michelle D. supposedly is working on something (I have higher hopes that this will materialize). "

YES!!! Some of my favorite instructors!! I really do hope that SOMEONE will create a decent DVD for those of us dinosaurs that still love the dvd format. I'm not against streaming or downloads (I do Cathe Live) but I also LOVE my dvd's. Each time this subject is brought up, I look at my library and think....yes you will survive with what you own....still makes me a bit sad though.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:16 AM  
muggle

Sorry...I haven't figured out how to "Quote" what someone else said.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:39 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Honestly, I'm totally prepared for downloads and would be okay with new workouts in that format instead of physical dvds but my point is that it seems like we aren't seeing anything new being produced, at least not at the rate and volume we were getting a few years ago. It almost feels like a lot of individual instructors are giving up and going back to whatever got them started in the first place (private gyms or personal instructors to celebrities, etc). Subscribing to multiple streaming outlets to satisfy my exercise ADD is never going to happen. What a money drain.

I haven't even bothered to sign back up for Cathe Live since I got tired of it and didn't use it all that much. I may sign back up for that at some point in the future when I feel like using that format again, but since she doesn't do any heavy lifting (it's almost all endurance, cardio or metabolic based stuff) then it has a limited use for me.
Old 05-04-16, 12:03 PM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Subscribing to multiple streaming outlets to satisfy my exercise ADD is never going to happen. What a money drain.
Totally agree with this sentiment. And the thing with streaming for me is that while I enjoy it for a change (doing a bit of Cathe Live right now), I won't stick with it. I like knowing the routines ahead of time, what to expect, where to place them in my rotations. I *like* doing a dvd many times because I get better each time I do it. Also, streaming simply doesn't work anywhere, anytime for me like a DVD or download does.
Old 05-04-16, 12:07 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Sorry...I haven't figured out how to "Quote" what someone else said.
If there is someone you want to quote, go to the box where their comment is. At the bottom right of the box should be 3 buttons. One will say "Quote". Click on that button and you'll get a Reply screen with their comments shown, in brackets with coding symbols. Their comments will be in brackets; leave as is. But you can delete anything as long as you keep the stuff in brackets. That's the coding. Hope that helps you!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old thread alert, ripping dvds