Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-16, 07:07 PM  
PrairieGem

Red face Just got DDP Yoga! & a question

I'm excited. I think? I've never done any yoga to speak of (parts Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief a couple times, and that's really it), and generally I think about systems for *months* before ordering... this was a total, spontaneous, "If you build it, they will come" voice whispering to me sort of thing. I've been feeling very stressed, stiff, and achy lately, and it suddenly seemed like Just The Thing. I got the DVDs today, and I'll start tonight or tomorrow. I haven't been able to stick with much of anything in the last couple of months--but even if there's one workout in the set that I like & use, it will be worth it to me. (BBL is one of my favorite systems ever, and the only DVD I use regularly is "Bum Bum." I'm OK with spending $70 for one good workout.)

My question is... do I need a mat? I work out in my (rather thickly) carpeted living room, but some floor work does bother my hips (anything done lying on the side with the hips stacked). It's not injury-related; it's just really uncomfortable (which makes zero sense, b/c if there's one place I have *plenty* of built-in padding...). I also have dogs, and I've noticed in the past that some yoga mats pick up a lot of dog hair (and never want to give it up again). I don't want to invest a lot in a mat until I know how much yoga I'll be doing in my life, but I might be willing to spend a little more if I knew it was 1.) Pretty necessary to do the workouts and 2.) Dog-hair repellant. (Dog-repellant would be helpful, too. I have a strong feeling that I will have friends wanting to share it. )

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 04-20-16, 07:34 PM  
carres1973

I can't speak to DDP Yoga specifically (it's still on my "wish list"), but for yoga in general, I think a mat is a good idea. I like the "stickiness" of the mat. If you are going to do things like lunges, warrior 1 and 2, etc, I think a mat would be a good thing so that your feet don't slip. Please check back in and let me know how you like DDP Yoga.

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 07:53 PM  
alisoncooks

I have plenty of hip padding but find a mat helpful for yoga...and I have dog hair issues.

What I've found: if I roll my mat up when I'm done, then the whole thing is contaminated with fur. However (!), if I fold my mat IN HALF first, then roll it up from either end, the dog hair is contained to the "floor side." It doesn't roll up as tight, but it's pretty close.

Have fun with DDP!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 08:02 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Is it possible to do it without a mat? Probably. Would I recommend it? Not really. There are some decent (and inexpensive) mats on Amazon. Pick up one and see how you like DDP! If you love it, you can always purchase a more expensive mat down the road.

As far as pet hair, keep a sticky roller nearby and clean the mat before you roll it up! My cat likes to join me when I'm doing yoga, so I understand the pet hair conundrum.
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 08:04 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
What I've found: if I roll my mat up when I'm done, then the whole thing is contaminated with fur. However (!), if I fold my mat IN HALF first, then roll it up from either end, the dog hair is contained to the "floor side." It doesn't roll up as tight, but it's pretty close
This. I have a 6' round mat (which I ). I fold it in half then in half again and it keeps dog hair off my yoga space, which is good because both dogs have a tendency to lay on my folded up mat whenever I'm down there and not using it. I find the mat a helpful thing to have.
Old 04-20-16, 09:25 PM  
PhyllisG

Yes I think you should have a mat. It is not just thickness, cushioning whatever but being on "your mat". It is your yoga place, your practice. For me it has a sort of psychological significance.
Pick up one in Marshall's cheap until you see how committed you become.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 08:07 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Mats keep your feet from slipping. That, not so much cushioning, is the number one reason to use one, IMO. The suggestion to fold the mat in half and then roll it up is great. I have cat hair issues and I do that too.

I was an early adopter of DDP Yoga; I've done yoga for many years and I thought it sounded like a fun, interesting twist on yoga. DDPY is a really good bodyweight workout, mixing yoga postures and calisthenic and therapeutic exercises. DDP is a motivating instructor and I think his cueing is very good. There are always modifiers in every workout, too. The program is well-designed and safe. DDP designed the program with a chiropractor, Craig Aaron, who is also a certified yoga teacher. He appears in some of the workouts--he's "Yoga Doc".

I do not use yoga for cardio so I never use a heart rate monitor when I do DDPY workouts. Also, the "dynamic resistance" that is used in DDPY to increase one's heart rate gave me incredibly sore traps, so I stopped that part of it. So I can't comment on the "cardio" aspects of the program, but the strength, balance, and flexibility components are very good.

You probably already know that the reason that some people have such great weight loss results with the program is that they completely change their relationship to food. That is MAJOR. The workouts are great, but the weight loss comes from dietary changes.

I hope you enjoy DDPY. I really like it, and the community of people on the Team DDP site are most inspiring.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 05:11 PM  
PrairieGem

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the input and tips. I figured I wasn't the only one with a pet hair situation! I stopped by Tuesday Morning on my way home and was able to pick up a "starter mat" for under $10.

Off to check out the breathing tutorial and instructional workout now.
Old 01-11-23, 09:09 PM  
angie_nrs

I'm resurrecting this oid thread b/c I just got a couple DDP Yoga sets (Bonus and Extreme 3.0) and have a question. I got them off ebay and they didn't come with any rotation schedule. Does anyone use them in a rotation or is there one to follow? I see there is a website but I didn't see a rotation anywhere for these DVD's.

I don't usually do Yoga, but I watched an old episode of Shark Tank and these intrigued me. I didn't even think the DDP site was still in business, but I found it after I already ordered off ebay. Oops, I thought they were out of print.

I did a workout off the Bonus set called Slow and Exploding. My hips, abs, and glutes are now talkin' to me. I didn't really sweat too much doing this workout, but I do have some pretty significant DOMS which I haven't had in quite some time with any workout, so I'm impressed. I have Ultimate Yogi, but I never do that b/c they are just too long and I really don't like loooooonnnngggg holds. Hopefully this won't be an issue with DDP.

I've noticed that I need to do more muscle opener type of exercises. My sister who is only 2 years older than me has already had 2 foot surgeries and a hip replacement, although she doesn't exercise. I don't want to go down that road, but have always been an avid exerciser. I'm going to start adding at least one or two yoga practices into my weekly schedule just to gain flexibility and balance, especially in the hip area. I'm glad I ordered these b/c I think they should deliver exactly what I'm looking for without any dread.
Old 01-12-23, 11:47 AM  
Mickey12

Angie, I just checked and I don't have any rotation calendar for these. I don't remember where/when I got my discs though, so there may be a rotation somewhere. Or maybe not if it's not on the DDP website.

I'm glad you're enjoying these. They're different, that's for sure. I liked them once I got used to his terminology.

Tags
ddp yoga, ddpy, yoga, yoga mat