Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-16, 07:53 PM  
calendria

step aerobics

I am getting back to my Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith walking workouts.

I have never done step aerobics but now I'm a bit curious about them. I know if I tried it, I'd have to get an adjustable step.

does anyone still do these? Do they still make these kinds of workouts?

just curious.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 08:11 PM  
bubbles76

Yes, I still do these. I cannot think of anyone that is still making them in actual dvd format. Online, I know Jenny Ford is still creating step workouts. The last step workout I actually remember being released on dvd is Amy Bento's All Step Challenge 5. Her step is really complex.

I believe the best dvds for learning step are Gin Millers Everybody Steps or Simply Step. I learned from Cathe's Basic Step and Kari Anderson's Hot Steps, but that was tough for someone that had never done step before.

DVDs with good basic moves are Gilad's Step Aerobic's, Kathy Smith's Step Workout, the Gin Miller's I mentioned, and Christi Taylor had an older one that was pretty basic. Oh, and Jenny Ford has some good, basic step workouts.

Before investing too much in a step, I suggest doing some online workouts and trying step on the floor first. Or see if you can get a step from a thrift store. That way, you will know if you like step and will stick with it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 08:16 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I second the Jenny Ford recommendation, she has a lot of step workouts on You Tube. I have tried a couple and really enjoy them. I would like to try them all at some point. I like step but in shorter doses, anything more than 45 minutes is a little lengthy for me. Jenny's YT step workouts definitely fit the bill. A lot of her stuff is lower in impact and relatively basic which is right up my alley. I am not a fan of hi-lo or any of that HIIT stuff that is so popular these days. So step along with walking is my cardio of choice, not many people still put that stuff out anymore but Jenny does.

She is very personable, friendly and encouraging, plus she cues well. Definitely check her out, I see myself buying some of her downloads at some point. Especially Malibu Step, great workout.

One of my favorite step workouts of all time is Kathy Smith's Power Step workout, but I do it entirely low impact. Kathy has a few others out there, her original step workout would be a good one to start with. I have thought about picking that one up myself.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:03 PM  
alisoncooks

I second (third) Gin Miller, Jenny Ford, Gilad.
You can also boost Leslie with a step!

I want to say that Powerfit Harmony can be modified up using a step (the parts where the band is on the floor and you step over it).

Debra Mazda also has a step workout.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8gPeDG6kk

One thing I'll say: I'm overweight and I have issues with varicose veins. I enjoy step, but it makes my veins sore. Just throwing it out there, in case you can test it out before spending lots of $$ on a step. (Though it'd still be great for weight workouts.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I want to say that Powerfit Harmony can be modified up using a step (the parts where the band is on the floor and you step over it).
I do that all the time!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:14 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
does anyone still do these? Do they still make these kinds of workouts?

just curious.
The last releases I heard of, was Hip Hop Step and KCM's Strenght & Stamina, there is a bonus step workout.

I usually can't do complex step (I get lost and frustrated!). But, I've not problem doing KCM step workouts, plus they're fun!

I also love Kathy Kaehler Basic step, it is very Basic, but pretty good imo.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 02-13-16, 11:03 PM  
ots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
The last releases I heard of, was Hip Hop Step and KCM's Strenght & Stamina, there is a bonus step workout.

I usually can't do complex step (I get lost and frustrated!). But, I've not problem doing KCM step workouts, plus they're fun!

I also love Kathy Kaehler Basic step, it is very Basic, but pretty good imo.
Ooh, I didn't know that there was a bonus step workout on KCM's workout. How is it?
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 11:14 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Cathe released Party Rockin Step #1 & 2 in 2013 I think.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 11:30 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Debra Mazda also has a step workout.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8gPeDG6kk
And it's a good one, excellent for beginners!
Quote:
One thing I'll say: I'm overweight and I have issues with varicose veins. I enjoy step, but it makes my veins sore. Just throwing it out there, in case you can test it out before spending lots of $$ on a step. (Though it'd still be great for weight workouts.)
I have v.v. too and don't do a lot of step, but I've found the most comfortable step for me - and I've owned quite a few - is Denise Austin's old bench that comes with a foam riser. I've never liked doing step cardio on a long bench (and don't really have the room for it) so I prefer the shorter ("home") benches. Denise's is a bit longer and quite a bit wider than every other I've seen and is about 4"; including the foam riser it's about 5.5" (but I usually just use the plastic base platform). I find this step supportive, roomier and 'cushier' than others, and it's quiet as well. I got mine off eBay for about $15, well worth it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 11:45 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ots View Post
Ooh, I didn't know that there was a bonus step workout on KCM's workout. How is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LO2IyGm4VM you can check it out at 2:45 min. It is 23 min. long. I personally don't have it so I can't give feedbad on it sorry, but it is on my long wish list, and people on here seemed to enjoy it. HTH

Tags
basic step, step aerobics, step without a step