Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-15, 08:23 PM  
momtoaboyandgirl

Yoga dvds with no sun salutations

Does anyone know of some Yoga dvds without sun salutations? As a beginner I find them too difficult, I don't really enjoy them and I'm not looking to learn to! Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-28-15, 08:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes doesn't have any sun salutations. It's filmed outside and has a lovely setting.

On YouTube Yoga with Adriene has many yoga for beginners practices with no sun salutations.

I'll try to think of some more.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 10:20 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I added some tags to the bottom of this thread that may be useful in finding similar past threads.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 07:31 AM  
cfwb

Sara Ivanhoe's 20 minute yoga dvds don't rely on sun salutations very much.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 07:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Another Yee - AM Yoga For Your Week. I'm not positive if it has no sun salutes at all, but if there are they are minimal. It's a lovely DVD.

Barbara Benagh has lots of DVDs out there - the only one I have is Yoga for Stress Relief, that one has none. Some of hers do and some do not. CORRECTION Y4SR has some sun salutes.

Restorative and Yin practices will not have sun salutes, either.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Suzanne Deason's Yoga for Weight Loss is sun salute free.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 10:40 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i second the 2 Rodney's, especially AM Yoga for your Week, that do not have sun salutations. there are a couple more of his "recent" offerings in the last few years that exclude sun salutes.

Yoga Zone Yoga for Conditioning and Stress Release has none.

several of the pregnancy yoga DVDs exclude them....perhaps someone remembers which ones - i can't recall off the top of my head. I believe the Shiva Rea pregnancy video doesn't have them.

any title with the word "Power" in it usually contains sun salutes. if you go to the reviews section, anything with chaturanga may mean it might be part of a sun salute series.

your question comes up quite often, by the way, so here's some links with similar threads and responses.

Yoga DVDs that aren't all sun salutations
30-50 min yoga practices without tons of sun sals
one more sun salutation and I'll....
Sara Ivanhoe Yoga on the Edge - note actual title of this thread is misleading, so i wrote the name of the video which the thread referred to
Tough Yoga without many sun salutes / vinyasas

A VF review about a CD w/o SS:
Spinal Strengthening Bryan Kest

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 10:55 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I hate Sun Salutations more than I can even express.

I agree with Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for a Week. Also no sun salutations in Wai Lana yoga dvds.
Old 10-29-15, 11:35 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes doesn't have any sun salutations. It's filmed outside and has a lovely setting.
Actually, Yoga for Athletes has one full (each side) slow sun salutation at the start of the "Conditioning" section. You can almost miss it because it's performed at such an unhurried pace compared to what you see in so many other videos.

ETA: Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief also has some sun salutes--very few, but I know at least the very first practice (Begin Your Day Slowly) has some. I actually don't like when Barbara does them, as she move through them TOO slow. Yee's pace in Yoga Conditioning for Athletes feels good to me.

In general, I think the problem isn't with the sun salutations themselves--it's that instructors rush them! This is true both on DVDs in class. Or they don't offer modifications.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 12:38 PM  
meg39

Suzanne Deason Yoga Conditioning for Weightloss doesn't have any sun salutations.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 12:43 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Actually, Yoga for Athletes has one full (each side) slow sun salutation at the start of the "Conditioning" section. You can almost miss it because it's performed at such an unhurried pace compared to what you see in so many other videos.

ETA: Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief also has some sun salutes--very few, but I know at least the very first practice (Begin Your Day Slowly) has some. I actually don't like when Barbara does them, as she move through them TOO slow. Yee's pace in Yoga Conditioning for Athletes feels good to me.

In general, I think the problem isn't with the sun salutations themselves--it's that instructors rush them! This is true both on DVDs in class. Or they don't offer modifications.
I agree and the Sun Salutations are so good for you! I think they are sufficient practice all by themselves. I don't love them, but I think that's because I'm not proficient at them. It's very difficult to practice outside of a class setting, for me anyway, I need the instruction and adjustments, etc.

Tags
no sun salutations, no sun salutes, sun salutations