Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-15, 02:56 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
No, I haven't been able to do this without regret, or traders remorse Normally, I am by nature a clutter phobic person. I am always gathering things, clothing to take to Good Will. Recently I took a big box of Firm VHS tapes. A few days I called because I wanted it back. They said they couldn't find it I have often traded away workout DVD's, only to re-acquire them later. Ugh....I probably should just keep all that I have. My kids can inherit my large collection some day, lol! If I were you, I would be very careful about what you get rid of, unless you are absolutely sure!
Sherry
That's me too. Thinking I need to downsize (and I have far more than 200 workouts) I trade/sell and then wish I had them back.
It's always a game of "what if" with my workouts. Online stuff only adds to the confusion - too many workouts, too little time!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 02:57 PM  
Calistro

Julie,

I know what you mean. I have so many dvds also, and is does seem overwhelming at times, but I have also got rid of a lot only to re acquire them.

Last year I got rid of over 50 dvds in one sitting to the charity shop, which included the likes of All the Ellen Barrett and Tracie long stuff, which I had never used. Then I had major traders remorse, as well as realising that my workout style has changed somewhat. I need more easier stuff now, so I ended up repurchasing them both, but thank goodness I could not recollect what the other 40 plus workouts were.

I am like some of the other posters here, who have decluttered elsewhere, such as clothes, books, furniture. What I am thinking about though is getting some of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/500-disc-c...age-case-a81gu

I figure if I can let go of the cases and inserts, I can have just two of these to store all my workouts as apposed to 8 large boxes of dvds under my bed which looks excessive. I figure psychologically the smaller storage cases will look compressed and smaller, then I won't feel bad staring at over 500 workouts
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 02:59 PM  
laurajhawk

I don't get rid of much. There have been a few things I flat-out disliked and knew I'd never want - that's safe; you'll know. (Step, I'm talking to you!) Other than that, I gave away a few beginner yoga DVDs, but that's because the person needed them -- I even rebought one of them for myself. And I traded away a system I love, but only because I had two of them!

(We're not really helping you downsize, are we...)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 04:33 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post

(We're not really helping you downsize, are we...)
Hahahaha!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 04:55 PM  
Vantreesta

I can't even get rid of every workout that I hated on first run through. I hated Trudie Styler's Yoga Warrior or whatever it's called so much that I didn't even finish it the first time and put it right in my trade box. For some reason later I decided to try it again and liked it. I am kind of borderline-hoarder anyway, so that doesn't help. I got rid of two stacks of jeans that I wish I had back now that they would fit again.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 07:27 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

We all have a lot in common! I've been good about getting rid of things
around the house. I love my workout DVDs! You've given me good ideas. I
will go through my collection and anything too hard may go. Easier workouts
will stay. I also see the value of keeping those. I just need to find a better place
in my home to keep them. ( I'll get rid of something else!!) thank you!!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 09:48 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have given away quite a few dvd's to family members because they expressed interest, thinking they would use them. Not one did. That's fine, but I don't recommend giving away or lending out workouts that you still want, or would like back. It's been my experience that most people don't bother to return them!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:04 AM  
Sandrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
I have given away quite a few dvd's to family members because they expressed interest, thinking they would use them. Not one did. That's fine, but I don't recommend giving away or lending out workouts that you still want, or would like back. It's been my experience that most people don't bother to return them!
Sherry
+1 on this. It would sort of be okay if they weren't returned because they were being used, but they are not.

And I'm no help at all to the o.p. I no longer even think about "decluttering" my workouts, because I've decided that they aren't clutter. I really enjoy looking through them and at them, and planning different rotations, and they enable me to reach my goal of exercising every day (well almost!). If I apply the Marie Kondo logic to them, I can honestly say that they give me joy.

(Wow. Didn't mean to sound so defensive there, especially since this is the *only* place where someone understands!)
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:51 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I no longer loan workout dvds. If I am done with them, I will give them away. Otherwise, I point people towards YouTube, Totalfitnessdvds, or let them know when the CS/Essentrics sale will be. My experience has been that people feel a loan is indefinitely.

I have purged a lot of workouts, but still enjoy my collection.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 10:52 AM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
I no longer even think about "decluttering" my workouts, because I've decided that they aren't clutter. I really enjoy looking through them and at them
Love it!!!!! This is me
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, no buy, purging dvds