Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-15, 10:26 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Hi summer breeze,

I noticed it when I started the kettlebells. I woke up, checked my Fitbit (I try not to be obsessive about it) and I had an extra 150-200 calorie burn that I typically do not get from barre. I have been doing Lauren Brooks new DVD, about 15 minutes per day is good for me. Yesterday I experimented with 75 kettlebell swings using a lighter bell, along with the 30 minute Margaret workout, and same thing, extra calories burned through the night. It may just be me and adding weights in general.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 10:28 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Beth! Great job. I just received Lauren's new dvd so I'll definitely try to fit it in soon. I have a 15 lb kettlebell. What size do you use for her workouts?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 10:49 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Thanks, Beth! Great job. I just received Lauren's new dvd so I'll definitely try to fit it in soon. I have a 15 lb kettlebell. What size do you use for her workouts?
I'm trying not to overwork muscles because I tend to lean towards if a little is good, more must be better. I'm using a 15lb bell for kettlebell swings and upper body(cleans), and then an 18lb bell for glute/hamstring. I have sensitive wrists so I added 1 lb foam wrist weights from Walk At Home. I can really feel the kettlebell targeting glutes and hamstrings, calves too. That's been a tough area for me to sculpt. I tend to be a short ectomorph body type.

~Beth
Old 06-09-15, 12:41 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I'm trying not to overwork muscles because I tend to lean towards if a little is good, more must be better. I'm using a 15lb bell for kettlebell swings and upper body(cleans), and then an 18lb bell for glute/hamstring. I have sensitive wrists so I added 1 lb foam wrist weights from Walk At Home. I can really feel the kettlebell targeting glutes and hamstrings, calves too. That's been a tough area for me to sculpt. I tend to be a short ectomorph body type.

~Beth
I tend to go for the more is better school of thought too. I'll try Lauren with the 15 lber and see how it goes. I'm intrigued that you saw the same increase in calorie burn with MR too. When I was doing her workouts more consistently last year I was a few lbs lighter but it could just be a coincidence. Either way, I should be doing more weight work and your post did inspire me to not neglect the weights so thanks .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 02:08 PM  
donnamp

Once I tire of the rotation I'm doing I was thinking about something like this:

Full Length Margaret Workout & Short Stretch (and a short walk during the day)

Longer Cardio Workout & CS Episode

Longer CS/Essentrics Workout & Short Cardio

Repeat.....take rest days as needed

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 02:33 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I tend to go for the more is better school of thought too. I'll try Lauren with the 15 lber and see how it goes. I'm intrigued that you saw the same increase in calorie burn with MR too. When I was doing her workouts more consistently last year I was a few lbs lighter but it could just be a coincidence. Either way, I should be doing more weight work and your post did inspire me to not neglect the weights so thanks .
I think I get a metabolism boost from added weights. It's weird I don't get the same effect from body weight workouts.

Donna, that sounds like a nice rotation. I want to incorporate Sculpture but it's a long workout and might need its own day.
~Beth
Old 06-09-15, 04:54 PM  
Elzabee5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Once I tire of the rotation I'm doing I was thinking about something like this:

Full Length Margaret Workout & Short Stretch (and a short walk during the day)

Longer Cardio Workout & CS Episode

Longer CS/Essentrics Workout & Short Cardio

Repeat.....take rest days as needed

Donna
I'm loving all of these ideas!

Donna, I especially love this one. Once I get some nice results (I hope!?) with the CS/MR every other day, this sounds like a great rotation to try.

For what it's worth, I was sore last night and this morning after doing MR Home Improvement* Still haven't done my CS workout for today. I am planning on Essentrics arms and abs and legs and thighs.

I have to admit I'm trying to get over the dated feel of the MR workouts, but 1) I'm working hard enough that I don't notice it the whole time and 2) they feel like good, solid workouts despite the spandex.

*Wait a minute. I don't know if it was Home Improvement. It was the workout on the Classics DVD where she wears pink
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 08:47 PM  
donnamp

Elzabee - I admit, that sometimes the dated feel of MR gets to me - but the workouts are still good, as I keep telling myself. I generally prefer the ones w/ an older Margaret in regular (non-shiny-spandex) clothes!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 08:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzabee5 View Post
I have to admit I'm trying to get over the dated feel of the MR workouts, but 1) I'm working hard enough that I don't notice it the whole time and 2) they feel like good, solid workouts despite the spandex.
Ha ha! The era and spandex do not bother me in the least. For me, it's part of the charm of these workouts. I'm finding the older the workout, the harder it is.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:15 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Ha ha! The era and spandex do not bother me in the least. For me, it's part of the charm of these workouts. I'm finding the older the workout, the harder it is.
When were these produced, 80s maybe? Oh the glory of it! I remember the days when everyone used to get dressed in spandex, the white socks and tennis shoes, oh and leg warmers, big hair, just to go to the gym for step aerobics. Thank goodness social media wasn't available then. Flashdance era, good times!

On a serious note, some of her moves are unique and decades later I see other instructors doing them.
~Beth

Tags
cs rotations, margaret richard rotation, triple threat