Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-15, 03:30 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Question "Modern" version of The Firm-style step aerobics

I'm looking for the type shown in their Fat Blaster, Cardio Step Mix, Tough Cardio Mix workouts...on a short step like the Fanny Lifter.

I did a search, but all I could find were routines on the long step that are really choreographed, twisty/turny, etc.

Is there such a thing?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 03:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Gilad's two step workouts: Gilad Step and Step & Tone might meet your needs. They are basic, but he does use a wider step and uses the full width on some moves. Look at some clips and see what you think. I think these workouts could be modified to a smaller step because there's no twisting or turning in the choreography.
Old 03-23-15, 03:46 PM  
Carb8985

I've recently acquired a bunch of the Anna Benson-era Firms and love the step aerobics segments so much. They are low-impact, but definitely get the heart rate up, at least for me. I also love the simple choreography for my morning workout brain.

I'll be eagerly awaiting replies on this thread, but I will point you to Jenny Ford's YouTube channel. I tried one of her "Basic" step workouts and it reminded me of the Firm-style step aerobics. She uses a longer step, but I was easily able to modify using the short step portion of the fanny lifter that I have. If you look at her YouTube channel, she even has a playlist of all the Basic step workouts.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 07:54 PM  
PrairieGem

KCM has a workout called Athletic Step on her 30MTF DVD "Cardio Blast." (The other workout is plyo intervals). It's really fun, and she bills it as having "no dancy choreography." It reminds me of the step workouts I did back in the 90s.
Old 03-23-15, 08:29 PM  
MoFirmer

Tracie Long has her Step Forward and Power Up.

Kathy Smith has some good step workouts also!
Old 03-23-15, 08:29 PM  
TinaT

Julie, I've searched over the years for such a thing. To me, it doesn't exist. Tho, it's more than just the step routine for me. It's the music, set, familiar faces. So I stopped looking because I had what I needed all along.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 08:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I would agree with Gilad's step workouts, simple but effective. I have KCM's Cardio Blast & it is a good one too, a little more choreo than Gilad, but still easy to follow. I can't do fast paced dancey step, I feel like I am going to trip over my feet! I like simpler, straightforward, but not beginner, choreo. Here are my other favs, but unfortunately they are all done on a longer step:

Kari Anderson's Go
Cathe's Basic Step & Low Impact Step
CIA Cardio Crazy with Gay Gasper - has hi/lo & step but you can select from a menu
Christi Taylor's Mission Possible - has hi/lo & step but you can also select from a menu
Charline Prickett's With Every Step

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-15, 09:09 PM  
bfit

The Debra Mazda step workout is fun and basic.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 09:27 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Thanks a bunch, ladies!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-15, 12:34 PM  
mamaste

Have you looked at Body Sculpting System 1 and 2 plus the add-ons? Those are very similar. Cathe has two that might work -- High Step Training Advanced and High Step Circuit. Both have basic cardio sections using the High Step/Fanny Lifter. Other than looking at more Firms, there isn't a whole lot out there using the short step for cardio.

ETA: Cathe also has High Step Challenge that might be good for you. The problem is the cardio isn't as Firm-like as the other two.

Tags
athletic step, step aerobics, the firm