Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-14, 08:18 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
I'm looking for a great set of DVDs for traveling--something that requires no equipment (I know Weider comes with push up stands), that will give me some cardio and strength at the same time. I know that Weider comes with 12 DVDs for $28 on Amazon, while YAYOG is $25 for 3 DVDS (but 9 workouts--3 at each of Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced).

Which one do you like best? Shorter workouts with less impact are better; I'll be living in an apartment and don't want to disturb downstairs neighbors with a lot of jumping. I just want to maintain my fitness and have something without much dread factor.
I did YAYOG back when the book first came out. I didn't even know there was a DVD set. Is the DVD the same as the book? I've never done the Weider set so can't comment on that.

I liked YAYOG because I was living in a small apartment at the time and didn't have room for equipment, so the idea of doing a workout that didn't require any was very appealing. I saw decent results, but had some trouble visualizing the exercises and was always wondering if I was doing them correctly (which is one of the complaints I have with workout books--I need a visual). So I'm glad to hear there's a DVD.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 10:52 AM  
slysam

I've done Wieder X factor and I have the book and ipad/iphone app for You Are Your Own Gym (but not the DVDs).

For X Factor, you do not need the pushup handles unless you prefer to hold handles during pushups, I used a yoga mat but that may depend on the floor. I like that the system progresses nicely. I did see fitness gains, not so much strength, but my coordination/agility/balance improved.

If you have a smart phone/tablet that can play the YAYOG app that is a good option too. The app does have rotations/progressions and various workouts and can time the workout and I think log it for you. The book really opened my eyes to the potential of bodyweight training and has progressions and rotations. But the app, made it easier to apply the ideas from the book as it includes video demonstrations of the exercises. I don't know whether the dvds are stand alone or rotations. I forget what the app cost (it wasn't free, I think), but I haven't yet felt any need to get the DVD since the app will play my own music, demonstrate and time the exercises, and create a 10 week progression (or allow me to create my own workouts). Just to refresh my memory, I ran the first workout in the 10 week beginner program and it is 36 minutes long including the warmup. I think there were some quick options outside the 10 week rotation. It is a memory hog though.

I think X-Factor is good for travel too. Both would work well in small spaces with little or no equipment in a fairly short amount of time. I think both have a mix of cardio, strength and mobility work involved.

ETA: I don't usually use the rotation workouts so this was the first time I really looked at the first workout in the beginners 10 week. I just noticed that it does use some household equipment like a chair and table. But the "Quick workouts" section seems to have shorter, equipment free options. I think that and create you own is mainly what I've used as I have never followed it as program.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 11:05 AM  
slysam

I've done Wieder X factor and I have the book and ipad/iphone app for You Are Your Own Gym (but not the DVDs).

For X Factor, you do not need the pushup handles unless you prefer to hold handles during pushups, I used a yoga mat but that may depend on the floor. I like that the system progresses nicely. I did see fitness gains, not so much strength, but my coordination/agility/balance improved.

If you have a smart phone/tablet that can play the YAYOG app that is a good option too. The app does have rotations/progressions and various workouts and can time the workout and I think log it for you. The book really opened my eyes to the potential of bodyweight training and has progressions and rotations. But the app, made it easier to apply the ideas from the book as it includes video demonstrations of the exercises. I don't know whether the dvds are stand alone or rotations. I forget what the app cost (it wasn't free, I think), but I haven't yet felt any need to get the DVD since the app will play my own music, demonstrate and time the exercises, and create a 10 week progression (or allow me to create my own workouts). Just to refresh my memory, I ran the first workout in the 10 week beginner program and it is 36 minutes long including the warmup. I think there were some quick options outside the 10 week rotation. It is a memory hog though.

I think X-Factor is good for travel too. Both would work well in small spaces with little or no equipment in a fairly short amount of time. I think both have a mix of cardio, strength and mobility work involved.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weider xfactor, x-factor st